New Husqvarna hand tools

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spike60

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Husky has come out with a new line of "familiar" looking hand tools to compliment their traditional wood handle tools. Just got these in and thought I'd post some pics. Prices are comparable with that other brand which obviously provided some inspiration here. There are 2 multi purpose axes, 2 splitting axes, and a hatchet. The gray part of the handle has a soft touch feel to it. The metal impact shield near the head looks like a good idea. Cool stuff. :)

lD2LUoH.jpg

B4stbKC.jpg

I will be look this up but figured I would ask anyways... What kind of warranty do they have, what weight are the splitting axes, how long are the handles? The one pictures is 70cm which is 27.5" and way too short for splitting in my book. I'd love to own a splitting axe similar to the X-27 but with more weight and same warranty and quality. Whats your impression of them, have you tried any of them? The S2800 appears to be the largest but lists for $99.99 on Husqvarnas site. Thats about $50 more than the X-27... ouch.

Do we know for sure that they are made byFiskars, versus a copy?

Philbert

Sorry guys, I did not mean to imply they were made by Fiskars. Just that it's kind of obvious what they were looking at when they came out with these. I'm pretty sure they are NOT made by Fiskars. Only says "made in EU" on the package.

And yeah, these are X25 length, not X27.

I've got more margin to play with on these so at least in my store, they'd be priced in Fiskars territory.

How's the bigger splitting maul priced compared to these?

I believe that Fiskars also makes the Gerber and other private label models. Would not be unreasonable for one, 300+ year old Scandinavian company to make stuff for another!

The differences in the handle near the head look interesting.

Philbert

Sorry guys, I did not mean to imply they were made by Fiskars. Just that it's kind of obvious what they were looking at when they came out with these. I'm pretty sure they are NOT made by Fiskars. Only says "made in EU" on the package.

I've got more margin to play with on these so at least in my store, they'd be priced in Fiskars territory.

Good to know but without a 36" handle and a warranty like the Fiskar I would not be willing to invest in this product, thats just my reality. Doesnt mean its a bad product, I just have no use for it. Chances increase slightly if the handle was the same length and same weight but that warrante is really what has my sale, especially if everything else is equal to the X-27 (quality and productivity). Maybe the quality is good enough where it wont break anyways but I like knowing if it breaks while I'm slamming a 20" maple round that I can get a free replacement if it does...

I'm not overly impressed with fiskars. I broke one getting a splitting wedge unstuck.

. . without . . . a warranty like the Fiskar I would not be willing to invest in this product, . . . that warrante is really what has my sale . . . I like knowing if it breaks while I'm slamming a 20" maple round that I can get a free replacement . . . .

I agree. I like the performance of the Fiskars axes and mauls that I have. But that warranty is a strong sales point and confidence builder on a plastic/composite handled striking tool.

Philbert

You guys who went to the website know more about them than I do. o_O

I saw them in the system the other day and ordered a couple to see what they looked like. They look to be well made tools, but I still prefer the old style hand forged/wood handle tools they have. Although I know they are popular here, I've never really liked the Fiskars stuff myself, so I'll no doubt feel the same way about these. :D

Is the wedge marked with manufactured location? The X27 is, just curious.

If it's works as poorly as the fiskars then I'll pass

Nice find - I looked and could only find the people making their wooden handled axes.

I think they look nice. Based on my experience with the Fiskar's, I would expect good results. Interesting that the plastic does not go over the top of the head.

Lifetime warranty on the Fiskars is a big plus. Do we know if Husqvarna or Gardena match that?

Philbert

The classic forged husqvarna axes are beautifully made. Pricey tho

Not at Bob's (Spike60's) shop. Then, too, it's all about value to me. That's why I really like my Mueller & Wetterlings mauls. They're quality tools, made by craftsmen, to do a job very well. Just like the Hultafors, sold by Husqy.

If it's works as poorly as the fiskars then I'll pass
If you are talking about the X27 working poorly you might want to spend some time and learn how to use it. There is no equal in splitting tools. Every person I have let use mine has promptly got online and ordered themselves one.

If you are talking about the X27 working poorly you might want to spend some time and learn how to use it. There is no equal in splitting tools. Every person I have let use mine has promptly got online and ordered themselves one.
the x27 is a cheap pos compared to a quality maul.

Back