New Husqvarna hand tools

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't touched my pa80 since getting the husky maul. I could never warm up to the thick bulky feel.

Is it that much better? I liked /like the Fiskers but the PA80 is way better, I really like it. But if the husky is that much better I may need to get one.

It's funny how people jump on a bandwagon and you'd swear some people must have stock in fiskars corporation .i found it to be okay for light use but nothing to write home about for me it didn't live up to the hype
And your still going going to be wacking your brains out like any other axe

So now the unbreakable splitting axe isn't indestructible ? Plenty of them are out there. Stretch those Cheeto chuckers out and look them up. Hultafors, wetterlings, Gransfors Bruks, Mueller, Helko are just a few.

If I break a handle of a wood hafted axe/maul I can just replace the handle. You can't with the fiskars.

No ****, that's our point. If the handle breaks they replace the whole thing for you for free! Wood handles are $10 a pop at TSC. If you had to replace a handle on your "quality maul" only every 4 years and the price of the maul was $100 the time for it to pay for itself compared to the X-27 is probably 3X longer than the Fiskar.
There's commonality among the people who seem to not like the X27 and I believe it's because you guys are forgetting that the X27 is a splitting axe and not a maul so of course it's going to perform different but I'd say it can hold its own quite well against those mauls. Of course you can't go driving steel wedges with it like a maul you will break it! Read the instructions and understand it's limitations. I wouldn't use my K10 to drag a hitch out of the woods so why would you beat on the back of the X27 with another driver or try to smash wedges with it while tryin to split Elm, your asking for trouble IMO. Heck, I broke 2 wood handles while splitting a cord of elm, one on my sledge and one on my maul. That's 2/5's the cost of the Fiskar so I switched, but I bought new handles to keep them around as artifacts...
Anyways, I guess my point is if you don't like the Fiskar X27 then don't even consider the Husky splitting axes because you will be even more disappointed in it performance because of the short handle and then when you abuse it and break it you will be back on here cussing about it when you have to eat the cost because there is no warranty.

Well, I stretched those "Cheeto chuckers" out and did some research. The following is off of Amazon:

Fiskars X27............$48........... 1,602 Five star reviews
Hultafors................$176.30.... 0 Five star reviews
Wetterlings............$127.75.... 4 Five star reviews
Gransfors Bruks.....$198.99.... 2 Five star reviews
Mueller (no info on Amazon but cost $155.95 online with 0 reviews)
Helko.....................$106......... 0 Five star reviews

I know a person has to take reviews with a grain of salt because they are written by people of all walks of life. But you can't deny the trend here...price vs. happy customers can't be overstated. And before someone comes on here accusing me of hijacking this thread, my point could be made towards this new Husky splitting axe. The head looks exactly like the Fiskars (made by Fiskars?) and so I would expect it to have the same stellar performance.

Well, this only proves that they are popular, not that they are better. Or the best tool out there. Much of that sentiment on this site is due to people who pick up on something which is gaining popularity and adding their voices to it. Both in a positive way as with the Fiskars, and in a negative way when guys trash something like 455's or MS290's. Not because they've ever run one, but because that's what everyone else is saying.

I've never liked the fiskars, and like I said earlier, I'm probably not going to like these new Husky's either. But just cause I don't like this type of tool, that doesn't mean that they are junk, and that no one else should buy one. For you, and many others, they are great tools. But this idea that Fiskars has reinvented the wheel here is where I see the hype overtaking reality. The suggestion that was made that someone who doesn't like a Fiskars should "learn how to use it" is kind of ignorant. Fiskars is one of many options out there. But many owners suffer from a superiority complex and might consider easing up on the drum beating.

IMO, the right tool in a discussion like this is really a matter of personal choice. What feels best and provides the best results for the individual user. Kind of what fits each of us. Some of us like the Fiskars style tool, others the hand forged wood handle style. And all the other options out there. What's the point of telling each other that we don't know what we are talking about and that the other guys "wrong tool" really didn't split all that wood in his yard?

And I sold one of those new things yesterday. Felt good to the customer, and that's really the only person it has to feel good to.

On a more serious note:

Every time im on a "serious" tool site the guys rage about "real wood" handles being able to absorb more shock/impact and are batter for your hands ect.
I have used a Fiskers, not extensively, and own a knock off, but when I'm in the mood for "Maulin around" i reach for a maul first and most. wondering if thats why ?

Bob, good for you being willing to just take some shelf space up and see if something will sell. shows you care about your business and try to stay up on things. Shelf space is a premium, if you put something "up" something else has to come "down"..

It's funny how people jump on a bandwagon and you'd swear some people must have stock in fiskars corporation .i found it to be okay for light use but nothing to write home about for me it didn't live up to the hype
And your still going going to be wacking your brains out like any other axe
I'm no bandwagoner and I could care less what other people do. I care about results and when it comes to the X27, those results are significantly better than the traditional tools. I can only speak of splitting conifer and not hard wood because that is all we have around here. I spend A LOT less time trying to get my old axe unstuck. That's what I like about the Fiskars the most...it either splits or bounces back at you for a quick follow up hit. And I can use it all day and not get worn out.

Use it like it was designed and the Fiskars will mow through cord after cord with no problems. Start pounding on it like it was a sledge and you could break it but the same is true for wooden handled tools. I wouldn't use a half ton pickup to haul a cord of wood and then bad mouth the truck when the bumper scrapes the road or the axle breaks. Use the right tool for the job. I've found that all I need to split my wood these days is a sledge, a wedge, and the Fiskars X27.

Well, this only proves that they are popular, not that they are better. Or the best tool out there. Much of that sentiment on this site is due to people who pick up on something which is gaining popularity and adding their voices to it. Both in a positive way as with the Fiskars, and in a negative way when guys trash something like 455's or MS290's. Not because they've ever run one, but because that's what everyone else is saying.

I've never liked the fiskars, and like I said earlier, I'm probably not going to like these new Husky's either. But just cause I don't like this type of tool, that doesn't mean that they are junk, and that no one else should buy one. For you, and many others, they are great tools. But this idea that Fiskars has reinvented the wheel here is where I see the hype overtaking reality. The suggestion that was made that someone who doesn't like a Fiskars should "learn how to use it" is kind of ignorant. Fiskars is one of many options out there. But many owners suffer from a superiority complex and might consider easing up on the drum beating.

IMO, the right tool in a discussion like this is really a matter of personal choice. What feels best and provides the best results for the individual user. Kind of what fits each of us. Some of us like the Fiskars style tool, others the hand forged wood handle style. And all the other options out there. What's the point of telling each other that we don't know what we are talking about and that the other guys "wrong tool" really didn't split all that wood in his yard?

And I sold one of those new things yesterday. Felt good to the customer, and that's really the only person it has to feel good to.
Uhh...why do you think the Fiskars is popular? Because they are junk? You can't ignore those kind of numbers. Sorry.

I'm no bandwagoner and I could care less what other people do. I care about results and when it comes to the X27, those results are significantly better than the traditional tools. I can only speak of splitting conifer and not hard wood because that is all we have around here. I spend A LOT less time trying to get my old axe unstuck. That's what I like about the Fiskars the most...it either splits or bounces back at you for a quick follow up hit. And I can use it all day and not get worn out.

Use it like it was designed and the Fiskars will mow through cord after cord with no problems. Start pounding on it like it was a sledge and you could break it but the same is true for wooden handled tools. I wouldn't use a half ton pickup to haul a cord of wood and then bad mouth the truck when the bumper scrapes the road or the axle breaks. Use the right tool for the job. I've found that all I need to split my wood these days is a sledge, a wedge, and the Fiskars X27.
+1

A few things to add. There is a different swing needed to reach optimum results with the X27. I've split 16 cords with one over the last 12 months after using mauls my whole life. I could notice an improvement from the first swing but the wood didn't really start to fly until I had about 4 cords through it.

Some guys read about it on here and then use one for an evening expecting it to perform magic. When it doesn't, they bad mouth the results. Well to me that's obvious that they should put more time into it before making a judgement.

And as noted Fiskars is NOT the tool for Elm or similar.

Hahahaha. You mean a quality maul that cost many times what the Fiskars does? You mean a quality maul that you can swing for an hour while I swing the Fiskars all day long and never tire? You mean the "cheap pos" Fiskars X27 that just keeps on splitting cord after cord, never breaks, and makes splitting wood fun? You mean the "cheap pos" Fiskars that costs $48 on Amazon with free shipping, no tax, and lifetime guarantee? You could be on to something......NOT.
Give me the name of this "quality maul" that you speak of that is superior to the X27. I want to compare it. As of right now, I haven't found anything that can compare.
Breaking an X27 in two days? I'm sorry but I have to call BS. And Amazon does not collect sales tax for the state of Idaho. Sorry you live in one of the 21 states that it does collect sales tax in: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=468512
No doubt there's been broken Fiskars out there. But compared to the broken wooden handled "quality mauls" that you speak of...what, maybe 50:1 ratio? What was the name of that quality maul again?
Fiskars is a SPLITTING AXE, not a sledge hammer. Use it how it was intended and you will never have problems.
Uhh...that's kinda the point isn't it? You break a wooden handle and you can replace it, after you BUY the wooden handle. With the Fiskars, just snap a pic, email it to Fiskars and in the mail comes a brand new axe. Let's see, you paid money to fix your axe and I got a new one for free that splits better than anything I've ever tried. Tough choice I have to admit. Nobody is saying the Fiskars can't be broke. Use them how they were intended to be used and they are unbelievably tough.
Well, I stretched those "Cheeto chuckers" out and did some research. The following is off of Amazon:

Fiskars X27............$48........... 1,602 Five star reviews
Hultafors................$176.30.... 0 Five star reviews
Wetterlings............$127.75.... 4 Five star reviews
Gransfors Bruks.....$198.99.... 2 Five star reviews
Mueller (no info on Amazon but cost $155.95 online with 0 reviews)
Helko.....................$106......... 0 Five star reviews

I know a person has to take reviews with a grain of salt because they are written by people of all walks of life. But you can't deny the trend here...price vs. happy customers can't be overstated. And before someone comes on here accusing me of hijacking this thread, my point could be made towards this new Husky splitting axe. The head looks exactly like the Fiskars (made by Fiskars?) and so I would expect it to have the same stellar performance.

The fiskars sounds almost as good as a 362 CM

+1

A few things to add. There is a different swing needed to reach optimum results with the X27. I've split 16 cords with one over the last 12 months after using mauls my whole life. I could notice an improvement from the first swing but the wood didn't really start to fly until I had about 4 cords through it.

Some guys read about it on here and then use one for an evening expecting it to perform magic. When it doesn't, they bad mouth the results. Well to me that's obvious that they should put more time into it before making a judgement.

And as noted Fiskars is NOT the tool for Elm or similar.

This mostly validates my central point.

There are different tools for different guys. Sort of like there's a lot of different style beers to drink. We drink the beers we like and we buy and use the tools we like. Simple right?

But this sentiment, which is very common among you Fiskars fans, is that those of us who don't like them just don't get it. That's just condescending BS, and part of that over reaching hype I mentioned earlier.

This mostly validates my central point.

There are different tools for different guys. Sort of like there's a lot of different style beers to drink. We drink the beers we like and we buy and use the tools we like. Simple right?

But this sentiment, which is very common among you Fiskars fans, is that those of us who don't like them just don't get it. That's just condescending BS, and part of that over reaching hype I mentioned earlier.

Not sure if you are saying I am condescending or the "Fiskars is for everyone" crew is?

That's just condescending BS, and part of that over reaching hype I mentioned earlier.

Be fair. There's also condescending hype and BS from trolls who claim that a Fiskars can't split a ripe watermelon.

I have split wood with an axe, maul, steel wedges and sledge, etc. I prefer swinging a lighter weight tool if I can, but understand if it doesn't work for everything, and is not the preference of everyone.

I don't really understand the obsession with boutique axes that cost more than many of my chainsaws for firewood, considering the amount of wood that was split for years with hardware store axes (e.g. Plumb, etc.). But I don't go around trashing them.

A lightweight, efficient tool with a lifetime guarantee is hard to beat for me. As I said, I would be interested in trying one of those Husqvarna/Gardena axes (remember them? Start of this thread) with an open mind (but not in the market to buy one right now with 4 Fisksrs!).

BTW - Did you ever find out how Husqvarna warranties them?

Philbert

Be fair. There's also condescending hype and BS from trolls who claim that a Fiskars can't split a ripe watermelon.

I have split wood with an axe, maul, steel wedges and sledge, etc. I prefer swinging a lighter weight tool if I can, but understand if it doesn't work for everything, and is not the preference of everyone.

I don't really understand the obsession with boutique axes that cost more than many of my chainsaws for firewood, considering the amount of wood that was split for years with hardware store axes (e.g. Plumb, etc.). But I don't go around trashing them.

A lightweight, efficient tool with a lifetime guarantee is hard to beat for me. As I said, I would be interested in trying one of those Husqvarna/Gardena axes (remember them? Start of this thread) with an open mind (but not in the market to buy one right now with 4 Fisksrs!).

BTW - Did you ever find out how Husqvarna warranties them?

Philbert

Hell, I'd be willing to swing one of those "quality mauls" I cant afford, to be able to compare them. Im open minded and would give them a try but Im not going to fork over the mula just to prove it when I have an efficient tool that suits my needs and has a lifetime warranty **cough cough**. :)

Not sure if you are saying I am condescending or the "Fiskars is for everyone" crew is?

No one or group in particular. A careful reading of my post shows that I was referring to the "just don't get it" sentiment as condescending BS. And I suppose that although not stated, the implication is that anyone holding that sentiment would therefore be considered condescending as well.

Sorry if anyone's offended, but I'll stand by what I'm saying here. It's great that you guys love the Fiskars. (I sell those too BTW) Enjoy them in good health.

But some of us prefer other tools, and we enjoy using them. We don't need to hear that we don't get it, or don't know how to use a Fiskars. A little more splitting and a little less preaching would be better for all of us. :)

Latest posts

Back