New log truck and trailer Oshkosh M977

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uzi

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Got a new hauler that's kind of unique and lots of fun. Not to mention the largest rolling billboard a person could ask for, it seems to draw a crowd wherever I take. 1982 Oshkosh HEMTT 8x8 and an M989 trailer. Has a crane on the back 2500lb capacity at 20' 4500lb at 10'. I started palleting all my wood into 1/3 cord pallets and now I can pick them up and unload them with the crane. With the truck and trailer I will be able to haul 4.5 cord 14 pallets at once and still be legal. Once I get the combo endorsement on my CDL. Even with just the truck I can do 8 pallets or a huge pile of logs to bring home for splitting. The crane is awesome because I dont' have to take a skid loader along to get logs and it doesn't take up any bed space on the trip home.

FullSizeRender (1).jpgFullSizeRender (1).jpg FullSizeRender (2).jpg FullSizeRender (3).jpg IMG_1022 (1).JPG

That thing is bad, would you mind getting a pic with the outriggers extended and down and the boom all the way out. I'm guessing it's diesel.

Watch the govplanet site on Wednesdays for the auctions. The best deals right now are on 5 ton 6x6 trucks. Most are Cummins powered and have Allison automatics. The newer generation 2.5 ton and 5 ton trucks (fmtv) are pretty nice too. On the HEMTT notice the square on the front drivers side, there should be a glass panel there so that when going up a steep incline you can look past your feet and have a view of what's coming up next.

Shea

I'll try to grab a pic with the crane in use it does look pretty neat folded out and working. I picked a 16' tall 36" diameter section of trunk out of a yard last week. Works awesome for that zero compaction damage to the surrounding grass. Just flush cut and pick it straight up swung it to the street and let it down on the concrete. One more cut to half it and reload the whole thing took maybe 10 minutes.

It's got a 450hp Detroit 8v92 Allison auto and 2speed transfer case. It's been averaging 5-7 mpg but that's a lot of unloaded running around too. I'm sure with the trailer on and a good load it will be 4-5 but I didn't buy it for the milage :) It helps I can do in one trip what would take 2-3 trips with the pickup and dump trailer.

I don't have to words! There is a cool factor that is way beyond my imagination. I have always wanted one of those things! Way cool! Enjoy...I sure would!

Thanks

Pffft....

Real men don't need all that iron.

11044522_10202619327084387_3144604190021669340_n.jpg

Those things are pretty awesome and I love the sounds of a screaming Detroit diesel

sent from my electronic leash

92602.jpg

I bought a brand new van like this last april. Twin turbo diesel, fits easily a cord of wood in. Used it for my farm (saffron grower here). In less then 10 seconds at 62 miles. Uses less then 2 gallons for a 100 km , or with one gallon I ride 39 miles ,those us trucks are real gas users compared to this [emoji6]

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

I'll try to grab a pic with the crane in use it does look pretty neat folded out and working. I picked a 16' tall 36" diameter section of trunk out of a yard last week. Works awesome for that zero compaction damage to the surrounding grass. Just flush cut and pick it straight up swung it to the street and let it down on the concrete. One more cut to half it and reload the whole thing took maybe 10 minutes.

It's got a 450hp Detroit 8v92 Allison auto and 2speed transfer case. It's been averaging 5-7 mpg but that's a lot of unloaded running around too. I'm sure with the trailer on and a good load it will be 4-5 but I didn't buy it for the milage :) It helps I can do in one trip what would take 2-3 trips with the pickup and dump trailer.

In France that would cost , for a 100 miles , 52 € , a cord of dry splitted oak sells here for 200€......... Impressive toy though [emoji2]

In France that would cost , for a 100 miles , 52 € , a cord of dry splitted oak sells here for 200€......... Impressive toy though [emoji2]

Yeah it's not the type of truck you get out to deliver half a cord. No matter what I do with it economy will never be on the list. I do use it as part of my tree service along with the firewood so that helps pay the bills on it. Another factor is I picked it up including the trailer for less than the price of a 20ft gooseneck dump trailer that could haul 20k pounds. This can do twice that and still be legal. I live in a rural farming community and the DOT lives to pull over anything hauling a trailer in this area

Latest posts

Back