"New" Maine Fall GTG Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moss Man

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
After some discussion around a fall GTG in the other GTG thread, I think I am ready to offer up the farm here to have a similar event to what we did here last fall. I still have the wide open fields here, so plenty of room to spread out. I'd like to do it a little more efficiently this year, maybe to free me up at least enough to take some photographs! Atually I think the food part of the event is what is stressfull for me, it's hard to coordinate hot food for a large number of people. I'm not saying we can't have a meal, just that I'm looking for ideas or volunteers.......Cantdog and Plantbio have already offered to come early for set up. In short, I'll supply some cold foods, the property, the pulp truck for log placement and a place for several tents and a couple campers if need be. The porta potty is a given, I got it for the whole weekend last time for $90. My hope is to locate the event a little south in the field from where we did it last year, there's much more room down there where everyone can park their vehicles and set their saws, coolers, chairs and whatever up near them. I'd like to see more bartering going on, I have alot of saws and parts I'd like to part with. Maybe we can have a raffle, something(saw or cash) goes to the winner and the porta potty get's paid out of it too.

I'd like to have four jigs of some sort directly to the sides of the pulp truck, if we have 4 logs set up at a time and both ends of said logs are in the open at waist height, we could have 8 people safely sawing cookies at one time. My buddy just purchased a log trailer with a loader and the deck might be the right height for sawing, maybe we could place logs crosswise on the deck and ratchet them down.......we'll see.

September is somewhat busy for me and the week of the Fryburg Fair(Sept. 30-Oct. 7) is out.........so maybe a weekend in mid October? We don't have to do this, I'm just tossing it up as it seemed to be somewhat of a success last fall.

I'd like to acknowlegde the people who helped out last year; money poured in for the porta potty, people chipped in to help keep things moving, everyone brought a very generous amount of food and cooking supplies. There was not one ounce of litter on the ground and not one problem with alcohol or attitudes.

The same general rules will apply, no alcohol until after the saw events are over. If you are using a saw, you will need to have on at least chaps and some adequate form of hearing and eye protection. Try to keep some type of scabboard on any saws that are on display or on the ground. As I said, camping is available.

Someone mentioned having a canopy/tent that we could set up in the field, that would be handy. I have access to one canopy, but two would be better.

Last edited:
How did I miss this earlier? I have exams in mid October that I have to pass or I will be flipping burgers. I feel terrible that I offered to help and now I won't be able to. If the gtg was in early Nov, I could definitely attend and help with the setup. That is getting late and might be a touch cold for camping though. If I can help, I will. Sorry Moss.

How did I miss this earlier? I have exams in mid October that I have to pass or I will be flipping burgers. I feel terrible that I offered to help and now I won't be able to. If the gtg was in early Nov, I could definitely attend and help with the setup. That is getting late and might be a touch cold for camping though. If I can help, I will. Sorry Moss.

I sent you a pm, we'll consider Oct 27th or the first weekend in November.........Novembers seem to be much more summer like in recent years, so what they hey!

And if it's cooler then it will be more comfortable for wearing chaps :D this is Maine, we know how to camp and play out in the cold ;)

I'll see what I can do to lend a hand on site. I don't know what I can offer but perhaps you have requests for labor on certain things?

Sounds like another great time.
Just curious if you will have any larger diameter
wood this year for the bigguns.
Most weekends are open for me. So shouldn't
be a problem.

Thanks Moss

Lee

Sounds like another great time.
Just curious if you will have any larger diameter
wood this year for the bigguns.
Most weekends are open for me. So shouldn't
be a problem.

Thanks Moss

Lee

I actually have some logs that won't fit through the firewood processor, I'll set them aside for the event.

I'm looking at November 3rd or 4th, the weather should still be comfortable that early in the month.......I love a chill in the air that a light coat will take care of. I'm thinking perhaps a bonfire of sorts might be nice in the afternoon after things quiet down a little.

I'm looking at November 3rd or 4th, the weather should still be comfortable that early in the month.......I love a chill in the air that a light coat will take care of. I'm thinking perhaps a bonfire of sorts might be nice in the afternoon after things quiet down a little.

Now that sounds awesome. I'm sure we'll have some cookies and noodles to get it goin.... :D

And muh saw runs perdy durn sweet when the air has a lil crisp to it ;)

Sounds good Pete.......even if PB can't make it I'm up for it. Hopefully the later schedule will work for him too. Either way we'll stay tuned......I'll bring that ported 262XP I built for my friend if I can pry it out of his hands for the weekend........if not...I'll just bring him too!!! (and the saw)!!LOL!!

P.S. He's the one that caught those Lobsters for last year....just payin his saw build, he was!!!!

That weekend in November will work for me, or it should at this moment. I will put it on my calendar so it doesn't get pushed aside. :)

I thought I'd occasionally bring this to the top even though it is quite some time away. I'm surprised more of the folks that attended last year haven't chimed in...............? You New York folks gonna cruise up?

A long ride, but I did it last year. Put me down as a probable, depending on the date.

I will clear it either day :D can't miss this!!

Latest posts

Back