New Makita 6421, Thanks for the help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BertB55555

Reaction score
All,

I have been stalking the forum for about a year and just wanted to post a huge thank you for all the information on here.

Homeowner, occasional firewood cutter who needed a new saw. My 1st saw (3yrs ago) was a small McCullough and I didn't even how to sharpen the chain. After about a year realizing I needed a better saw, I upgraded to a Stihl Farm Boss. Great saw,but it recently got stolen. My journey reading through this site now lead me to my current saw that I just received which is a Makita / Dolmar 6421. I just came in from cutting with it and all I can say is what a beast. There was nothing wrong with old my Stilh and it was plenty for what I needed, but glad I upgraded with this new one.

Again just wanted to send a huge thanks for all your expertises, guidance and help from all the reading. It wasn't an easy decision, but feel like I made the best one for my wants and needs from your help.

I did have one question for all. In the muffler of the new saw, it had these little metal plug type things. One was half hanging out.

I'm assuming these were for shipping purposes and should come out, not used. All the picture of saws in here don't have them in?

Attachments

• IMG_0324.JPG
    IMG_0324.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 48
Possibly to keep debris from building up in the holes?

Good choice. You’ll love it. Some companies bolt a plate across the muffler bolt holes to prevent debris build up and starting a fire or holding heat. Those ones I have never seen. My Makita have open bolt holes so try removing them carefully. Can’t see any other purpose.

Nice saw , I have the 7300
Don’t know what it is but I like these saws more than any other...

The best is when someone walks into my place to buy a Stihl and walks out with a Makita / Dolmar .

The ability to upgrade to a 7 series down the road was surely a pro in the decision making.

Overall it was just felt hard to beat the quality you get for the price.

Today was the 1st day using it and put 6 tanks of fuel through her today (93 oct). First 2 tanks, I went relatively easy in her. Next 2 tanks, stretched her legs a little, and on the final 2, I fully unleashed her.

Nice looking saw, but I still can't get used to them being orange. The only complaint I have is that its heavy. I love the way it cuts though. I have a 24" bar on mine, and it handles it very well. It will be a good saw for you for a long time......assuming you lock this one up. Too bad you weren't in the market about 3 months ago, there was a "Sweet" one for sale on here.

Back