New member and a new to me saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Incase

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
New guy here from IN. I've got a few saws I use regularly for firewood. Also started dabbling in some milling. Enough to make me start saving for a 660. I currently own a 041av Farm Boss, 041av Super electronic, 015l, MS361, and S10 top handle.

The s10 is my latest acquisition and current project. I have managed to source a new choke slide, kill switch, and plug boot. It fires when fuel is sprayed directly into carb throat. Doesn't seem to be getting fuel from tank. Found what I'm guessing is the pulse line with a screw in it haha. Only had a short time to look it over tonight. Seems I'm missing something off what I think is the pulse line. Here's a couple pics. Anyone have any good points or suggestions on this s10, it would be appreciated. Defintely the oldest saw I own.
20161231_145520.jpg
20161231_145503.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Eric

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I'm just west of Indy.

The "pulse line" w/ the screw in it is most likely the tank vent...don't know how it can work but it does...

Clearly I need to study this thing more haha. Is there an actual piece that goes in place of the screw? Maybe I can put some kinda filter on it. I'll probably pull the carb tomorrow and do some cleaning.

Eric

What tells you it's an 08s?

Eric

Is there any other things that would tell them apart? Are the handles interchangeable also? I know nothing about these early Stihls

Eric

Is there any other things that would tell them apart? Are the handles interchangeable also? I know nothing about these early Stihls

Eric

No, the rear handles are not interchangeable, but the clutch covers are...

Here is a link to an S10 specs,
http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...4cf3ef0f6a332ae488256ba2001858d9?OpenDocument
Basically an S10 is an 08S powerhead with a back handle, except the intake & carburetor, top shroud, throttle & choke control, and air filter are different. The 08 / 08S ranges from around 1962 through around 1992.
By todays standards they are heavy and slow turds. Most came with .404 chain sprockets early on, but 3/8" came along later.

I didn't really get it for a performer. It looked cool haha. I figured it'd be fun to run.

Eric

I'd say your saw is somewhere in the mid 60's.
The lack of a throttle interlock and the cylinder design (access plug) by the muffler, for machining that was glued in from the factory, and a push button stop switch.
Looks like your choke is missing.

I have lots of parts for that saw, new or used.
If you need a manual, go to the beg for manuals thread. Someone can fix you up.
Be aware though, the earliest cylinder only had a 44mm piston & cylinder. Most that came after 1965 were 47mm, then mid to late 80's on were an 49mm, which make decent power.
The S10 had a cast magnesium muffler that have a unique sound.

Hello, what part if Indiana you live?????

I am in Muncie/Yorktown area, I am cutting in any spare time I get!!!!

I'm just west of Indy in Brownsburg.

Eric

Latest posts

Back