New member, Can anyone identify this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMantlow

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I got this wood to possibly use as smoke wood for BBQ. I was told it is hickory.:confused: I have never seen bark like this on hickory, can anyone identify this? Some of the markings are similar to the Mockernut, Bitternut and Nutmeg Hickorys.

Thanks,

Benny

View attachment 219320

Last edited:
I know of an old guy that smokes lots of meat and he only uses beech. I think it has a milder smoke but go for it.

x2 on the beech. Never heard it used for smoking.
Thanks Zale, If it's beech I don't think I'll be using it for smoke wood. I was lead to believe it was a species of hickory.

I know of an old guy that smokes lots of meat and he only uses beech. I think it has a milder smoke but go for it.
I think I'll just use it as firewood.

You got any maple around there?
Just a Japanese Maple, my wife would probably frown upon me sawing on it though.:buttkick:

It could be the upper trunk or limb from a Maple . But with the little bit of bark I see I am leaning more towards it being Beech .

My vote is also maple. Dont know need to see it split.
Thanks likesaws

It could be the upper trunk or limb from a Maple . But with the little bit of bark I see I am leaning more towards it being Beech .
Thanks Rockland

Well one things for sure..... not hickory.
Thanks apattie

My first thought was Maple as well. If it is you should be able to tell by the smell when you burn it.
Thanks tree md, I have never burned any maple, what should it smell like?

it's a beech
Thanks MHouse

Back