New member, Can anyone identify this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jeff I looked up white alder, said it didn't grow east of Montana. First look I said beech, then had to take a second look and red maple could be, but Im stickin with beech, the bark looks a little to thick to be maple. Did any of the splits have a twist to the grain? If so I gotta go beech.

No twists at all, all straight grain, very easy to split, just pop right apart real clean, feels real light compared to oak.

It looks like it's really dry, it split real easy, and the splits are real light...Well it doesn't burn very well, it smokes a lot and hard to get going, think it needs to dry some more.:(

It looks dry ? . . . needs to dry some more ? If its dry and light and does not burn well, its NOT Beech. Beech burns excellent and is stihl pretty heavy when seasoned. But it sure looks like Beech.
All of the Maple I use has a creamy white color and the bark peels off in 1 piece. I think its called Silver Maple.

Back