New member, Can anyone identify this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got this wood to possibly use as smoke wood for BBQ. I was told it is hickory.:confused: I have never seen bark like this on hickory, can anyone identify this? Some of the markings are similar to the Mockernut, Bitternut and Nutmeg Hickorys.

Thanks,

Benny

View attachment 219320

This is a picture of the split wood as requested and the split is sitting on top of a round of the same. (I hope this uploads to the right place.)

View attachment 222135

View attachment 222136

Last edited:
I'd lean topward beech or maple also. A picture of a similar standing tree would help, maybe it came from a group of like trees?

I got this off a Craigslist post. Poster said "It is seasoned Hickory, stacked at curb, don't come to the door." It must have come from the fenced back yard. The house is set way back from the curb, I couldn't see the back yard and what kind of trees were there.

222135d1328552995-p2060086-jpg

This is a picture of the split wood as requested and the split is sitting on top of a round of the same. (I hope this uploads to the right place.)

View attachment 222135

View attachment 222136

Beech is the only wood around here that the bark will split and fall off in thin squares like that. The color of the wood also looks like our beech when split. That being said, and maybe I burn it too soon, but I have never seen spalted beech.

It looks like it's really dry, it split real easy, and the splits are real light...Well it doesn't burn very well, it smokes a lot and hard to get going, think it needs to dry some more.:(

Well i voted for the maple, after seeing the spilt pics, not sure. It is spalted and the maple I have spilt is usually
a little wider looking grain more smoother looking. There is a little different types of maple and not all are exactly the same.
The bark still looks like maple have seen it come off in squares or chuncks. Have not spilt or burnt Beech. Not familiar With Adler
at all so I am really not sure from pics alone. Who knows?

Well i voted for the maple, after seeing the spilt pics, not sure. It is spalted and the maple I have spilt is usually
a little wider looking grain more smoother looking. There is a little different types of maple and not all are exactly the same.
The bark still looks like maple have seen it come off in squares or chuncks. Have not spilt or burnt Beech. Not familiar With Adler
at all so I am really not sure from pics alone. Who knows?

The bark can peel when old it looks like maple to me.

jeff I looked up white alder, said it didn't grow east of Montana. First look I said beech, then had to take a second look and red maple could be, but Im stickin with beech, the bark looks a little to thick to be maple. Did any of the splits have a twist to the grain? If so I gotta go beech.

jeff I looked up white alder, said it didn't grow east of Montana. First look I said beech, then had to take a second look and red maple could be, but Im stickin with beech, the bark looks a little to thick to be maple. Did any of the splits have a twist to the grain? If so I gotta go beech.

Some types of Maple will have twists.Red for one.

Back