New MS250 Thanks Guys

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jed1124

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Well I pulled the trigger on a new ms250 today thanks to your recommendations for the 250 over the 211. I know, it's not a pro saw but it's power to weight is very good for the class and I could not afford a new 346 or 261.I wanted to get it with a 14 inch bar but Stihl does not make a 14 in .325 and I did not want to go with Picco so I opted for the 16 with a loop of RSC.
I asked the owners son who was helping me to make sure the saw was set no more than 12,400 when they test started it in the back. He came out after they fired it up and said Stihl sets them to spec from the factory and it should be fine. I know his old man would not have said or done that. This is how my ms460 toasted the p/c two weeks after I bought it.
Got home and put it in some 10 inch hardwood to warm up. Checked the RPM and she's at 13,900 backed against the limiter.:msp_ohmy: Bumped it over the limiter tab and got it down to 12,400 for break in. That would have been the second one fried from the factory. Got the 6 pack of ultra for the two year warranty but I'd hate to have to bring it back.
Now I have to get out and get wood cut for next year. I have a feeling this saw will see more use than my 310 being much lighter. Then I can bring out the 460 for the big stuff. Seems like a decent 3 saw plan on my budget.

Well I pulled the trigger on a new ms250 today thanks to your recommendations for the 250 over the 211. I know, it's not a pro saw but it's power to weight is very good for the class and I could not afford a new 346 or 261.I wanted to get it with a 14 inch bar but Stihl does not make a 14 in .325 and I did not want to go with Picco so I opted for the 16 with a loop of RSC.
I asked the owners son who was helping me to make sure the saw was set no more than 12,400 when they test started it in the back. He came out after they fired it up and said Stihl sets them to spec from the factory and it should be fine. I know his old man would not have said or done that. This is how my ms460 toasted the p/c two weeks after I bought it.
Got home and put it in some 10 inch hardwood to warm up. Checked the RPM and she's at 13,900 backed against the limiter.:msp_ohmy: Bumped it over the limiter tab and got it down to 12,400 for break in. That would have been the second one fried from the factory. Got the 6 pack of ultra for the two year warranty but I'd hate to have to bring it back.
Now I have to get out and get wood cut for next year. I have a feeling this saw will see more use than my 310 being much lighter. Then I can bring out the 460 for the big stuff. Seems like a decent 3 saw plan on my budget.

Very nice buy!! light weight and good power for its size.
16" bar is a good fit for the ms 250 with RSC yellow

I think you will like it.. I used it for my main saw to replace my 240 homie ( one day I will resurrect that saw)
woodsman... hmm never even looked at the chain on mine... I did now and yep its the green bar and chain ( safety ) might have to look into the yellow... but now its is relegated to small wood and limb duty.. got a 361 to fully break in... (birthday present from the wife 2 years ago) :hmm3grin2orange:
for the really big stuff I go to the 660.

Nice saw ! I have had my 025 since 02 and couldn't be more happy. I did change out the original non-adjustable carb. for a fully adjustable Walbro and modified the muffler. Good little saw.

Nice saw ! I have had my 025 since 02 and couldn't be more happy. I did change out the original non-adjustable carb. for a fully adjustable Walbro and modified the muffler. Good little saw.

I am looking forward to doing a MM after the warranty is up. I hear you can make some pretty good gains with a MM on a 250. Or maybe I will send it to one of our porting sponsors and make it into a 346 killer:hmm3grin2orange: Just kidding guys, don't want to start a fight.

i bought one at the beginning of october and finally got to start using it about 2 weeks ago. after about 6-10 tanks of gas and bar oil she( yes its a she and still lookin for a name for her) picked up a bit more power. great saw and if taken care of i shouldn't( take shouldnt lightly :hmm3grin2orange:) need another one.

We sell a ton of these saws, and the only thing to be diligent about
is when you remove the air filter be gentle with the tabs that retain it.

Congratulations on a fine saw, it'll cut a hell of a lot of firewood, great size for the guy who cuts his own. Smart picking up the extra year warranty for the price of a six pack of Ultra. You'll get many years of service out of the saw if you take care of it, I've got a little 028 that is over 30 years old and still chugging away. Enjoy it and be safe. Great job supporting an American worker and a dealer instead of a big box operation. New saw rep sent!

We sell a ton of these saws, and the only thing to be diligent about
is when you remove the air filter be gentle with the tabs that retain it.

I thought that air filter looked a little funny. I guess you would be the guy to ask this. Is stihl sending out all their saws so lean or are the last two I bought just a freak thing. 13,900 backed out against the limiter on the H needle for a saw rated at 13,000 seems crazy. If I did not back it out past the limiter she probably would have cooked.

Nice saw, with a MM and non safety chain those 250's will surprise a lot of people with it's effectiveness. The 16" bar is perfect, but it will pull an 18" if you want, later on.

I wanted to get it with a 14 inch bar but Stihl does not make a 14 in .325

Actually they do, it's the only way they come over here, but I guess Stihl didn't see much of a market for it on your side...

Congrats, it will do you good for a long time! Mine did way over 14k last time I checked, though it was set correctly by a serious dealer to begin with, so I guess they just need a check now and then - and the tabs cut off... Your stable is one to be proud of!

Well I pulled the trigger on a new ms250 today thanks to your recommendations for the 250 over the 211. I have a feeling this saw will see more use than my 310 being much lighter. Then I can bring out the 460 for the big stuff. Seems like a decent 3 saw plan on my budget.

Smart man. :rock:

I have MM'd 025 with an adjustable carb. It has .325 X 16" and RSC chain. I really like it.

Latest posts

Back