New MS261 c-m thoughts?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mow4cash

Reaction score
So I just purchased a new Ms261 c-m. I came from a Ms260 so figured I'd stick with the same. I'm wondering if I should have went with an Ms241? I have a lawn maintenance business and use the saw to cut up small trees and branches, lots of storm damage, quick stuff. Anything remotely big I leave to you tree guys. I use a 16 inch bar and it's a good size. I like that the Ms261 as a nice all around saw but wonder if the weight savings of the 241 would benefit me, I even thought about a top handle for a sec.
If I stick with the Ms261 c-m should I run a Sthil performance tuning kit? I need to figure out the bar and chain combo before I use it. Any other tips about the saw, things to watch for? Is there a mod that should be done right off the bat?

The 241 would definitely handle what you describe with ease. Of the two, the 241 would be my pick for your situation, but the 261 will do the job too. Just heavier, like you say.

As far as mods off the bat go, either one would do well with just a muffler mod. You can take a bit off the flywheel key and advance the timing a few degrees if you want to get fancy. Honestly, though, if you're using it for lawn jobs at clients homes, leaving it stock might be the way to go. Little saws with muffler mods have a certain scream to them.

Great saw. Don't do a thing to it. Most likely runs a .325 chain so you will use a 3/16" round file to sharpen.

I love mine, muffler mod helped a bit, but it is a lot louder.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I have an 020T top handle that uses chain on 241s , .63 PS3, any 028s use same as 261, .325 .063 67 dl. I've found a lot more chain and bar options in the .325. JMO, unless you are running saw hours a day, weight difference not such an issue. Either way, keep locked up and out of sight. They are hot tickets for sack of **** thieves.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

People go to a lot of time, trouble and expense, modding the mufflers and/or having their saws ported.

When in reality, all you have to do is put a MAGNUM sticker on the saw. The turn-around time for doing so, is less than one minute.

Or the Chinese equivalent for a fraction of the real decal,
Mangum.jpg

I think you made the right decision. The 261 CM seems to be a really good do it all saw. If I was only going to have one saw I'd even consider a 362. I've been really impressed with my 261, however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it true the 241 is only a pound lighter, seems like a pound is worth the difference for more power and the new design on the 261? Is a pound that noticeable, I manage the 261 with no problem? I'm also weighing out chain speed vs durability for my environment. Probably overthinking it but I want to set this saw up right from the start this time. Thanks for the replies.

What is a Stihl performance tuning kit?
3 Picco 63PS chisel chains, 1 Picco 16"-3003 000 6313 bar and 1 Picco 7 pin rim sprocket. Plus 20% more cutting speed? What are your thoughts, I noticed you produce some really nice performing saws?

I put a Stihl MAGNUM sticker on mine.
Made a big difference. :yes:
That might be too much power for me to handle.

I've been really impressed with my 261, however.

Don't tell me, it breaks down all the time. I had a lemon 260, I don't know if I can handle another saw with problems. All my Stihl trimmers have been rock solid so I hope this saw can live up to the name.

Don't tell me, it breaks down all the time. I had a lemon 260, I don't know if I can handle another saw with problems. All my Stihl trimmers have been rock solid so I hope this saw can live up to the name.

I haven't had it long but thus far it's been an excellent saw. I don't see m-Tronic as a bad thing.

Back