New MS660 putting out too much bar oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bayoucut

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just bought a brand new 660 and ran it without cutting for about one minute. What seems to me is a lot of bar oil came out and then I guess was burnt because its black, but wanted to get some opinions. I attached some pics

Attachments

• IMG_20170406_172241288.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20170406_172245282.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20170406_172330506.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 24
Just bought a brand new 660 and ran it without cutting for about one minute. What seems to me is a lot of bar oil came out and then I guess was burnt because its black, but wanted to get some opinions. I attached some pics
No luck seeing pics, but the adjuster for oil is in bottom with a curled arrow showing increase/decrease around screw location. If you bought from dealer support should be there

Saw authenticity aside, I'm wondering a couple things. One is if the volume and appearance of the oil might also have to do with how much and what color the oil was on the new chain... Another is, is it Bar oil, mix oil, or used motor oil in that bar oil tank?

Saw authenticity aside, I'm wondering a couple things. One is if the volume and appearance of the oil might also have to do with how much and what color the oil was on the new chain... Another is, is it Bar oil, mix oil, or used motor oil in that bar oil tank?
Its standard bar oil, a light honey color.

Its standard bar oil, a light honey color.
I'd clean it all off and run it again... it could be a combination of the OEM chain oil, chain manufacturing chips and burrs, and manufacturing debris on the bar that created that mess. If you'd have cut wood with it it likely wouldn't have been as noticeable and the OEM chain oil, manufacturing chips, burrs, and other debris would have been wiped off in the log. I've noticed a fair amount of metal chips and burrs on new chains that disappear in short order when cutting wood...

You can also take off the B&C and run the saw to see what is coming out of the oil port. If it looks like new bar oil great, it's not the saw but something with the B&C. See the first paragraph.

upload_2017-4-7_12-10-37.png

Let it idle for about a minute, going to cut some today and I'll take some more pics after Im done.

Its the black gunk/sap off the chain dirtying up the oil. No problems there. Want to varify this?...... take off B/C wipe off black oil and run saw, I betcha a million it will be clear.

Latest posts

Back