New MS880 looks like bad news for modder's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I am not trying to put anything down or anything, just was surprised at the very top first vid posted, wasn't what I expected at all and really didn't understand the relevance. I still don't, other than hearing a high speed miss or something, which might or might not be present once it was cutting in large robust wood..if it was an issue or not.

I'll butt out, looking for working chainsaw info, not race saw stuff or that sort of discussion, have no interest in motorsports racing of any kind, cars, trucks, atvs, saws, boats..just never cared for that.

I fully understand the concept of woodsporting and so on, but I didn't understand what a test cut with giant saws in relatively teeny wood was all about, and that was it. I was under-my fault, reading comprehension fail I guess- that it was going to be a vid of two large stock saws cutting against each other in "real world" wood, something they would normally be used on. And really, that's it..no more, no less.

Unsubscribing.

If we are refering to the vid I posted it wasn't to show power or any real world application it was for guys like me who really don't fully understand rev. limit and what it sounds like. Brads 880 sounds to me like a 660 when it revs up but deeper, it revs up and 4 strokes somewhere around 13k if I was reading right, the 880 and 3120 in that vid sound like mine, like there trying to go but can't. Thats what I want to fix, the saw is capable of more and its restricted not by design as I'm learning but by rules of retail sale..

Don't unsubscribe its just getting good..

Yes to video was hoping to do this during the holiday break, with tach in hand the saw is not smooth not the normal rev up and 4 stroke sound like other saws definatly breaking up actually paying better attention it seems to rev up and down really fast at WOT that must be the saw trying to climb and then being cut off by coil.

Smooth sound seems to stop even before 11K with smooth slow throttle like you posted, and the higher readings are all over the place and none are near 12K and this is not what I seem to remember experiencing Sat. and was all excited about it.

Is all this WOT ok for the new saw?

Thanks for getting back to me on this ,yes what a pain they are trying to tach,mate taching a saw Wot no load makes me cringe at the best of times but yeah this 880 is different ,like you say ,you gotta work the revs up reading them as you go or its all crazy schit with the readings,its like theres some mega electrical interference going on

Well, I am not trying to put anything down or anything, just was surprised at the very top first vid posted, wasn't what I expected at all and really didn't understand the relevance. I still don't, other than hearing a high speed miss or something, which might or might not be present once it was cutting in large robust wood..if it was an issue or not.

I'll butt out, looking for working chainsaw info, not race saw stuff or that sort of discussion, have no interest in motorsports racing of any kind, cars, trucks, atvs, saws, boats..just never cared for that.

I fully understand the concept of woodsporting and so on, but I didn't understand what a test cut with giant saws in relatively teeny wood was all about, and that was it. I was under-my fault, reading comprehension fail I guess- that it was going to be a vid of two large stock saws cutting against each other in "real world" wood, something they would normally be used on. And really, that's it..no more, no less.

Unsubscribing.

I see what your saying and it makes perfect sence. If you build a big saw that is made for big wood then test it in big wood. That is what the big CC saws were built for.....right? But not every one has a peice of 50"-60" oak laying around to test the saw in.

This is what 880s do best,50'' bar 3/8 063 skip semi chisel chain cutting Redgum.
Stock with cast muff.

[video=youtube;TQ8ZSYWGcTY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ8ZSYWGcTY[/video]

[video=youtube;9HpSx52attc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HpSx52attc[/video]

Thanks for getting back to me on this ,yes what a pain they are trying to tach,mate taching a saw Wot no load makes me cringe at the best of times but yeah this 880 is different ,like you say ,you gotta work the revs up reading them as you go or its all crazy schit with the readings,its like theres some mega electrical interference going on

No doubt and now doing it a few more times the high readings I'm getting are just rpm spikes the tach is storing its not running there just momentarily hitting there, after post from Brad and listening for the smooth rev up its at 11K running smooth and it will climb a bit more if you dare keep it pinned, and then spike readings but their no good. If you hold the trigger after the smooth peek and ride it you will actually get lower readings.

what do you guys reckon about fitting a 441 coil in there,13,500 rev limmit,
if i had a 441 i would be down the shed checking it out for fit

441 C MTronic

attachment.php

that what i was thinking too,thanks for the pic Andrew

Hey Splitpost do you Know how this works I'm not an electronics guy say it would bolt up do coils have a voltage rating do you need more juice for a 880 than a 441? I would bet there is one out there that might bolt up or could made to but would it power the saw, is there timing involved?

Hey Splitpost do you Know how this works I'm not an electronics guy say it would bolt up do coils have a voltage rating do you need more juice for a 880 than a 441? I would bet there is one out there that might bolt up or could made to but would it power the saw, is there timing involved?

I should answer some of my own ? the timing would come from the flywheel... And since they run the same plug if it fits it should work.. But then why wouldn't Stihl put the same coil on every saw they all use the same Bosch plug it would be cheaper for them.. Maybe then it comes down to size in relation to the flywheel...

No idea man ,just throwing some ideas outt here

Last night I looked on ebay found a 441 coil for about 35.00$ and studying the pics of that coil compared to the 880 the look the same i mean they look identical. Its been advised not jury rig a different coil for this saw but lets say it would fit because it looks like it will what other possible issues could a guy run into trying this.

I thought of maybe the gap between points would be different causing timing problems and the plug wire being shorter and not reaching. For 35 bucks I should just buy it and compare but maybe someone can think of reasons it won't work and save some hassle.

I believe most stihl non-limited coils will work, if you can bolt it in the right timing position, or make a plate so it's in the correct postion. I've switched out bad 084 coils with older 064 coils on races@ws many times.

I'll let you know what jury rigs up for unlimited Rev!........Hahahahahahahaha!

001-14.jpg

002-14.jpg

Follow-up

Was the 441 coil ever tried on the 880?

...successfully unlimited?

Latest posts

Back