New MS880

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trigger-Time

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
It may have been talked about before, if so I missed it.

Guess 880 has had some changes, has anyone got to run one?

See PDF

And on page 2 the mistakes seem to start. "Bumper spike was increased by 0.06 in. to 0.17 in (1.5mm to 3.5mm)" 0.17 in equals 4.32mm. And the picture with it show an old one at 0.08 inches, which if you add 0.06 in equals 0.14 inches. Which happens to be 3.5mm. Maybe someone couldn't tell 7 and 4's apart.

Just got a quote on a couple of parts from my dealer,Cylinder with piston-around 310$,ignition module-85$

Could that price on the ignition module be right?I paid more for a FS85 weedeater ignition one time.....

Just got a quote on a couple of parts from my dealer,Cylinder with piston-around 310$,ignition module-85$

Could that price on the ignition module be right?I paid more for a FS85 weedeater ignition one time.....

I ask yesterday about 088 coil for my 880, $115

TT

D:DMe got one:D:D
attachment.php

Last edited:
D:DMe got one:D:D

Nice!!! Have you check rpm's? I see in the new repair manual max rpm is now 11,000
Mine hits rev limit about 11,500

I would like to know they dropped the poly flywheel.

I got one last year :)

If I hear good things about the changes I may trade mine!

TT

Last edited:
Nice!!! Have you check rpm's? I see in the new repair manual max rpm is now 11,000

TT

Get back to you on the rpms ,but one thing i did notice is the amount of air this thing pushes past the cooling fins :jawdrop:

I bought mine at the end of '09. :bang: I am suprised they didn't label it the 881 to keep up with the remaining models. Maybe they will go straight to the 882 now?

Man time goes by, I just checked it was Aug 2008 when I bought mine.
Not last year:dizzy:

attachment.php

Last edited:

TT

OK went out this morning and put the tach on it,Smack on 11,000 RPM not a rev more.

OK went out this morning and put the tach on it,Smack on 11,000 RPM not a rev more.

I think 088 was 12,000rpm, 880 11,500rpm and now 880 is 11,000rpm

Stihl had to have a reason for this big change (not rpms), sure would like to know why.

Is it EPA or was Stihl having problems with 880, in my case I hope it had to do with EPA.
TT

Probably EPA regs,I've been keen to give it a muff modd ,but since it is the new model and all that,:dunno: i think i will leave it alone for the warranty period ,just in case something craps,Looks like not all parts from older models will fit......

:agree2:

Asked that before, what's the tradeoffs? Not trusting us to melt pistons? Cleaner environment? Noise pollution in the forest?

If an 880 w/ an opened muffler cranks at 11,500 rpm in the woods does anyone really care? Other than the proud possessor of said 880.

Back