New MS880

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The truly interesting thing is not the rev limit but the electronic timing adjustment with a processor. That's variable ignition timing folks and that is pretty cool stuff.

The truly interesting thing is not the rev limit but the electronic timing adjustment with a processor. That's variable ignition timing folks and that is pretty cool stuff.

Shhhhhhhhhh..................I will end up having to buying one to see how
the new and old compare, then have to take a loss on the one I sell.

TT

do it. Life is short and hard my friend might as well enjoy what you can!

Getting one may be hard to do, if the Stihl distributor still has the
old 880's in stock. They will not get any untill the old one's are gone.
Having same trouble now with MS260 and MS261 :bang:

Anyway will wait and try to hear what owners of new style 880
owners have to say.

TT

Last edited:

I agree,what would be even better is the ability to plug the laptop into it and change the tune and try different settings as one can with a car engine management system

I really enjoy my 088 and a lot of them are still running. The changes they made are probably for the epa regs. I guessing by them limiting the rpms they also limit the amount of fuel it burns, and they are probably also trying to run the saw leaner which is the reason for the more aggressive cooling as stated earlier. In power you probably will not tell much of a difference. I would keep what you have.

splitpost, or anyone that has the new and improved 880.
Have you ever had it kick back on start-up?

I was thinking the variable ignition timing may help.

Mine had been setting for reasons I will not get into here. No TT wasn't in jail or his wife left him :)
Anyway I went to start her, I think I was to relaxed and it ripped the rope out of my hand, hard.
It left blood marks on my fingers, I went to pull rope again and I think she could smell the fear. :eek:
As she done it 3 times, this has been the only time she has ever done me this way.

By the way I do check the spark plug on this saw more than any other I have.
As you sure can't set the rpm's by ear with it hitting rev limiter.

TT

I think 088 was 12,000rpm, 880 11,500rpm and now 880 is 11,000rpm

Stihl had to have a reason for this big change (not rpms), sure would like to know why.

Is it EPA or was Stihl having problems with 880, in my case I hope it had to do with EPA.
TT

088 was unlimited, thus why people put 088 coils on MS880s'.

Mine had been setting for reasons I will not get into here. No TT wasn't in jail or his wife left him :)
Anyway I went to start her, I think I was to relaxed and it ripped the rope out of my hand, hard.
It left blood marks on my fingers, I went to pull rope again and I think she could smell the fear. :eek:
As she done it 3 times, this has been the only time she has ever done me this way.

TT

No ,not yet anyway:cheers:

It's just like the 660's, the poly flywheel is set for different timing with a matching coil. On the new 880 you have to switch the coil, flywheel and carb to make it unlimited.

If you are talking about a 880 with the latest changes.
Don't think you can as Stihl changed the whole left side
of crank case. The coil bolt pattern has changed also.
So unless you can find after market coil or make some kind
of mods, you are SOL for non-limit coil.

"2.1 Crankcase
The previous crankcase 1124 020 2116 is being
replaced by the crankcase half (ignition side)
1124 020 2601 and the crankcase half (clutch side)
1124 020 2903.
The new crankcase halves are distinguished by
changed mounting points for the muffler and the
ignition module."

"4.1 Flywheel
The previous polymer/aluminum composite flywheel
1124 400 1210 is being replaced by an aluminum
version 1124 400 1201
"

MS880 like mine, yes I can use 088 non-limit coil.

Read the PDF file I posted.

TT

Last edited:
Somewhat off topic but..... there is a last year 088 on Clist here the guy admits its an 088 but is calling it an 880. it looks to be in great condition with a brand new 48'' B&C 404. he used the saw for milling but from the pics it looks really nice. anyway he is asking 1500 for it....... So i think he is as high as a kite. I know they are really pricey saws but its far from new. seems like i could almost buy a new one with that bar&chain for 1500 bones. not that i need one just curious

If you are talking about a 880 with the latest changes.
Don't think you can as Stihl changed the whole left side
of crank case. The coil bolt pattern has changed also.
So unless you can find after market coil or make some kind
of mods, you are SOL for non-limit coil.

"2.1 Crankcase
The previous crankcase 1124 020 2116 is being
replaced by the crankcase half (ignition side)
1124 020 2601 and the crankcase half (clutch side)
1124 020 2903.
The new crankcase halves are distinguished by
changed mounting points for the muffler and the
ignition module."

"4.1 Flywheel
The previous polymer/aluminum composite flywheel
1124 400 1210 is being replaced by an aluminum
version 1124 400 1201
"

MS880 like mine, yes I can use 088 non-limit coil.

Read the PDF file I posted.

TT

Try 084 parts

TT

Yes i have had that kick back same as you have had the pleasure of
experiencing,its not very nice at all.Myne is a stock 2009 model with the cast alloy muff and it is hard to tune.I am allmost at full rich with H screw and w/o is 11700 rpm.I have been told that the Ozzy ones have a higher w/o but i dont know for sure.

We have one at work, with a 42" bar and 60" bar. I hate that saw, it beats the hell out of you( I ain't no pansy either). I still wish we used our 3120, we still have it, it just sits in the shop for the last 3 years:msp_sad:

Don't think it will fit as I belive it has the same hole pattern
as 088 and 880 before this last change.

I'm thinking Stihl changed the coil bolt pattern to keep
people from using the unlimited coils on this new MS880.

TT

It has potential though, since the crankshaft is the same the poly flywheel might fit. Even if the bolt pattern for the coil isn't the same it's nothing good TIG welding and measuring wouldn't fix.

NEW MS880 some bad/good news

Ok guys just thought i would bump this thread,Few months ago i was milling with the big girl and about 4ft in this 8ftx 30" log the saw started to rev out ,at first i thought it was out of fuel so i let go of the trigger to let it idle ,whats strange is that i fill the tank before every cut so this had me stumped,when i let the trigger go it would just stay at WOT i tried to kill it on the switch,no good,i ended up throwing the chain brake on and then pushing it hard in the cut ,this worked and it stalled,

after about 1 hour of diagnosing and cleaning i came to the conclusion that it might be fuel related?,sortof,:confused:keeping in mind this thing is still under warranty i didn't want to pull the limmiter tabs off,intial thoughts were that the carb picked up some crap and blocked the circiuts,
anyway after about 3hrs of trying different things and pulling most of the skin from my hands trying to start the bloody thing and yeah some serious kick back going on i boxed it up ready to take to the dealer,
about a week later i dropped it of at the dealer and told them the story ,the first thing i was asked was "have you been running it 25:1",i told oldmate staight up YES and that its not seized or scored ,wel not by looking in through the intake and exhaust, all looked good to me ,all was good so i left it with them ,i rang their techs later that day and he said that it was a fuel problem,not getting any pulse from the crank and that he will have a look inside and get back to me,he pulled the cylinder and found that the impulse port in the case looked blocked and that there was a mark in the cyl which looked like a machining mark and a small piece missing and that the parts would have to be sent to stihl AU,this took like 4 weeks and i am thinking WTF,
anyway they made good with new parts P&C etc and labour all under warranty,good to have it back ,me thinks this saw had a problem all along because it has more grunt/balls now than it did before and it uses more fuel aswell,
gonna run the piss out of it while still under warranty just in case something else :censored:pops up:chainsaw::chainsaw:

Latest posts

Back