New muffler/plugged screen

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outdoortype

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
New non cat muffler screen is caked & blacker than cat muffler used to be. I'm using 48 or 50:1 Stihl oil w/ 93 octane gas.

I swapped the e-tech muffler on my 359 for a non e-tech muffler. I grinded the limiters & richened the carb: about 1/4 -1/3 turn CCW on the H jet and about 1/2 turn or more on the L jet. The saw starts, idles just about as fast as before w/e-tech muffler & sounds the same at WOT no Load. It seems to have more power in the cut & rpm's don't seem to drop as much in 16" oak. I made about 6 total cuts & pulled the plug. It looked OK, Tan on one side maybe a tad grey on the other. The saw only ran about 1/2 hour total. It seemed to cool down much quicker. So why is my muffler screen so black? The old E-tech muffler screen almost never had anything on it, maybe a few black carbon spots on it every 3-4th time I used it.

It's now runing cooler...

If you idl ea lot, it will get backer. Run it for a while at decent power (cut wood), then check.

Back