New old saw choice ya'll opinion wanted

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbyb13

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm going to get my son a used stihl. I want 14-16 bar, home use only. why not a new one? I just like the early ones. When you get old you can be wierd.
Give me your opinions please. O.T. I haven't heard a word from chamion plugs where the SL14 ate the plug tip. Any bets I ever will?

Hmmmm... Small early Stihls... O11? He won't thank you :) 015? getting to the end of the road... Buy him an MS180 new...

or an 026 and put a 16" bar on it.

Decisions

I think you've got alot to think about with that. Do you want your son to keep it forever? Or is this just a starter saw? How old/big is he? What do you want him cutting with it now? Do you want to get him one he'll cut with 5 yrs from now? Are you planning ahead or just showing him the ins/outs of cutting wood? Need to weigh all the options before you can look at models guy. :cheers:

Well, Cisco, The boy as I call him is 6' 4" 230 lb State trooper. and I think my saw size Idea just bit the dust. Just cut loose on a man size saw. He will be learning as he goes. He just bought 8 acres here in his home county and finished his home. Now it's clean up the property time.

Ugh

:popcorn: That is a big dude. Glad I never speed when I'm headed back to Charlotte, lmao. Get him a middle weight saw. Something around 4.5hp. If he's that bigga guy, then anything from 60cc's up to like 75cc or so would be good. go to husqvarna.com Stihl.com dolmar.com jonsered.com echo.com and start the questions flying about the models guy. I myself am used to a 15lb saw, that's what I limb with, buck with, and drop with. Which really equates to what I just stated as far as cc's go. When you start with referencing models, all the dudes on here will just start letting go with tons of info, or you can use the search function above to search by individual saw postings, of which there are thousands.

http://www.stihl.us/chainsaws/comparison.html

http://www.tilton.usa.jonsered.com/node246.aspx

http://www.usa.husqvarna.com/

http://www.dolmarpowerproducts.com/site/managed/html/kategorie/954/Chain_saws_gas

URBICIDE, have you jumped in the wine? I couldn't haul that monster in my F250 (lmao). Good grief what a saw. Make it quick guys I'm running out the door in a few minutes to look at a 044 and a 025 that the other old fart on this road has. He said to take my pick $250.00 for the 044 or $150.00 FOR the 025. He said he'll give me my money back if I wasn't satisfied with either. So I get to take em and try them out.

My experience

Lakeside53 said:
Hmmmm... Small early Stihls... O11? He won't thank you :) 015? getting to the end of the road... Buy him an MS180 new...

or an 026 and put a 16" bar on it.

I'm far from an expert, but like both my 015AV and my 011AVEQ. The 011 is more practical from a parts availability standpoint. At the same time, I think a good used 026 is probably a better way to go if that fits your budget.

My humble opinion, which should be taken with a large grain of salt.

Bill

bobbyb13 said:
URBICIDE, have you jumped in the wine? I couldn't haul that monster in my F250 (lmao). Good grief what a saw. Make it quick guys I'm running out the door in a few minutes to look at a 044 and a 025 that the other old fart on this road has. He said to take my pick $250.00 for the 044 or $150.00 FOR the 025. He said he'll give me my money back if I wasn't satisfied with either. So I get to take em and try them out.
At those prices with the guarantee id buy em both, you might even get him to knock a little off of a package deal.

bobbyb13 said:

I met two guys from Oregon who climbed huge trees and topped them with 880's. They looked like linebackers for a pro team.

bobbyb13 said:
Eight acres to clear? Get the 044 and a small Echo for trimming. The 025 is fine for a residential homeowner/firewood cutter. Sounds like your son just bought into something much bigger. Pro quality is what he needs IMHO.

090 and 009L. Hey you said "early". A 6'4" State Trooper needs a vintage muscle saw. He could let Talon name them.

Seriously, I agree with Scott. 036...but a cherry one is going to cost $400 and up. Might as well ante up another $200 and get a new 361. With basic maintenance and light use, he will be able to give it to his grandson in 40 years.

A 360 is a good saw, but it's also a little light. I'd say with a dude that big, go with the 440 or 441. I use the 44 for limbing and bucking wood alot, it's not too heavy for me to run all day and maneuver easily. I'm only 5'9" 175lbs. If that dude is 6'4", he can handle a 44 with ease all day and he'll have the extra little grunt he needs in case he runs into some bigger stuff. :cheers:

Another opinion, I am 6'-1' and 220# and I find a 034 and 028 to be about as small a saw body as I like to hold. The weight is easy but the positioning of the arms and shoulder tends to get old. I really like the 046/066 size body and the weight does not seem to be an issue.

That being said if it is to be his saw he should really hold it and see what he thinks. I have tried to buy saws for other people and it is always better for them to pick it out. That is why I currently own a 039. It was to big and pulled on his shoulders to much, he got a 346 instead.

Well, now look what you all caused. Gotta blame somebody. lol. I bought bought the 025 and the 044. Matt and I ran them bought hard for about three hours and they didn't miss a beat. Matt can handle the 044 well and he likes it. His wife bought him all the PP gear I think they had in the hardware. thanks to all of you for the advice. Just one question How the devil did he wind up with both saws? I got to think on this. I beleive I been shafted by a cop. lol.

Awesome

The 044 has turned out to be the most comfortable saw I've ever run. It's an all around great saw. As for durability, I asked my mechanic tonight about it and he said he rarely sees an 044 breaking down unless someone deliberately abuses it. Says they run forever. I made the muffler mod and use only 93octane and the Stihl Ultra HP oil in the mix. I mix'er at 40:1 to make sure she's lubed enough. After about 10 hours of running this week, I yanked it apart tonight to look at the piston for wear, heat, etc... Not a bit, still clean and shiny as can be. Hope if works for you and your son as well as it does for me. Great choice guy... :cheers:

Latest posts

Back