New owner of MS290, performance tricks?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

country

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have read various posts about people being happy or disatified with their MS290 saws. I was looking at purchasing a used Homelite 360 like my Dad's, and found I could get a good used Stihl MS290 for about $50 more. Seemed like a no brainer to me to spend the extra $50. I expect this Stihl will cut far better and quicker than the Homelite 360, and that I will be very happy with it. After all, the Homelite is the only other saw in the 16"-24" bar range I have to compare it with. But, if did want to tweak the saw, what simple modifications are there? I have read about the muffler mod. I'm just an average home owner, so this won't see day in and day out use. I also don't want to comprise the life/longevity of the saw. I probably won't do anything, but would like to know what, if any, options there may be ahead of time.

This is a great site, thanks for all your input!

According to a couple of the Stihl saw tech's who are regular members here the 290's are among the most durable Stihl saws in their opinions.

Here is the thread where i modded my 250.

attachment.php

Edit to add, I am still running that saw in my company, using it as a limbing saw for the groundies. I also use it to buck up the tops of trees (sometimes) because of its light weight and good performance. Sometimes the 044 just cuts too fast :dizzy:, or it is just nice to get a light handy saw like the 250.

It used to be my climbing saw but a MS200T fills that role now, the 250 never comes up any more, either the silky, 200, or the 044.

Def mod the muffler. There is no problem with opening it while in the break-in period.

Thanks oldsaw-addict, as a once in a while user, I don't need any more saw than one that will carry a 20" bar. This MS290 should fill my expectations just fine. I would especially think it will since I'm comparing it to a Homelite 360, which is what I had originally anticipated purchasing (all used of course).

To quote Ryan Willock, "Place it in a trash can and buy a husky 357 or a stihl 361." If you can find me one of these two saws for the price I paid for a good condition used MS290, by all means please let me know. But my guess is they bring about double the money. Since I'm only an occasional home owner user, I have a budget as well.

Mike Maas said:
Yes, combine their weigth, rust resistant housing, and awkward shape and they make excellent boat anchors!

To each his own, but there is nothing wrong with the MS290 product and quality. Many who purchase one will use it doing work on the farm, bucking firewood, or clean up their lots and properties. They are not using them professionnally day in day out and will last these owner years and decades.

A lot of these 290's are probably replacing old McCullough's, Homelites, Pioneers etc, so when comparing weights and awkward shapes the MS290 for these people is a major improvement.

Last edited:
My previous post was a mistake. Got away before I finished. Anyway, I agree with Lobo only might add Many of the Stihl "Homeowner" saws are good. I've run a 018 and MS250 plenty hard and they run good and hold up. They're not built like pro saws of course, but ok for non pro users.

Brush Stomper said:
My previous post was a mistake. Got away before I finished. Anyway, I agree with Lobo only might add Many of the Stihl "Homeowner" saws are good. I've run a 018 and MS250 plenty hard and they run good and hold up. They're not built like pro saws of course, but ok for non pro users.

You do not pay PRO saw prices for them either, therefore you are not expecting a PRO saw but something good however to get your jobs done.

I gotta agree. I think the 290 is a fine saw for what's it's designed for, and that's homeowner use. Stihl doesn't sell them as a pro saw, and they aren't meant to be compared to them. Compared to a 460 or a Husky 372, alot of saws will come up short in that comaparison. But when you use the 290 as it's supposed to be used, and don't expect to slap a 28" bar on it and run circles around big timber and pro saws, it's a darn fine saw. Enjoy it!

Take care all,
Jeff

You don't always need a real good pro chainsaw to get the job done.

I have a 029 in the collection bought it 1999 is has been a good chainsaw. Though I never have been to impressed by the bar oiling system or its not so great Chinese made carb. It is not the same level as my 046 or my CS-670 but none the less it will do many ugly jobs without complaining. Never treated it gently as is has been used in 1/2 dozen ice storm clean ups, hunting, many hard rides in back of my truck and on a ATV and even used to cut up Elk and Moose meat. Generally it get used on stuff and conditions I would not use an real good (expensive) chainsaw on.

I would take this saw any day of the week compared to a Homelite 360. Sorry Homelite guys but the newer ones are not what they once were long ago.

The best modification you can do to on a 029/MS290 is go get some Stihl Rapid RS chain for it. The stock safety chain sucks bad.

premix said:
You don't always need a real good pro chainsaw to get the job done.

I have a 029 in the collection bought it 1999 is has been a good chainsaw. Though I never have been to impressed by the bar oiling system or its not so great Chinese made carb. It is not the same level as my 046 or my CS-670 but none the less it will do many ugly jobs without complaining. Never treated it gently as is has been used in 1/2 dozen ice storm clean ups, hunting, many hard rides in back of my truck and on a ATV and even used to cut up Elk and Moose meat. Generally it get used on stuff and conditions I would not use an real good (expensive) chainsaw on.

I would take this saw any day of the week compared to a Homelite 360. Sorry Homelite guys but the newer ones are not what they once were long ago.

The best modification you can do to on a 029/MS290 is go get some Stihl Rapid RS chain for it. The stock safety chain sucks bad.

I second that! For the price and for occasional users, or as a backup saw, the 290 can do a great deal of cutting. Mine has been a great performer, utterly reliable and happy starting hot or cold. It is powerful enough (with RS chain) even with a 20" bar the kind of cutting I usually do here in southern Michigan, and the three-hundred dollar pricetag is easy to swallow for the non-pro user. And it is un-powerful enough that I can feel reasonably comfortable if another less-experienced user picks it up, fires it up, and cuts something without me standing guard and issuing a barrage of warnings. I doubt many would say the same of their modded 385s or 460s...

For all those who insist on bashing these saws, consider the purpose for the saw in a particular user's hands. Just as there is no single answer to a question like, "what are the best tires," without consideration being paid to their intended use, addrssing questions of the "best" saw for a particular user and particular purpose should be similarly treated. Just my two cents...

Totally agree with everyone that supports the 290. It has a terrible power to weight ratio, it is built cheap, it is big and bulky, but the price is right and it takes loads of abuse and runs good. I only paid $60 for mine anyway.

It is a good saw for the money but I just can't bring my self to own a 3.4hp 13lbs saw.

Thanks for the info all. Let's compare what I was going to buy vs. what I bought. I was going to by a good condition used Homelite 360. The specs are 3.5 cu. in., the power head weight is over 15 lbs., cutting RPM is 8,000, with 11,000-12,000 RPM no load. The MS290 is 3.45 cu. in., and the weight is 13.2 lbs (full 2 lbs lighter). I couldn't find any information on RPM's, but I would venture to guess the cutting RPM's are higher as well. Once again, don't compare my homeowner use to professional use, but simply compare this to the Homelite I was going to get. I still like the Homelite 360 as well, since my Dad has one and that is the only larger saw I have ever used. I just found I could get this MS290 used for a little more money that a good condition used Homelite 360, and at half the age also.

Latest posts

Back