New poulan pro hedge trimmer just stalled and locked up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chevyforlife21

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
It was running pretty rich out of the box after 2 hours straight of half throttle fresh e free premium with 50 to 1 husqvarna oil. Just stalled and is harder to pull over Piston done? Or is it locked up with oil never seen one run this rich out the box they are usually lean plug fouled oil dripping out the muffler

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

That's the usual result of running a 2 stroke at 1/2 throttle, they are meant to run wide open.
What's funny the manual states never run full throttle and if so no more then 30 seconds. It also says use the minimum throttle you can while getting a smooth cut still

Have you tried pulling the plug and trying to turn it over

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Yes I did I thought I had mentioned that it pulled over real hard for having good no plug in I forgot to mention I returned it anyways day old

Yes I did I thought I had mentioned that it pulled over real hard for having good no plug in I forgot to mention I returned it anyways day old
Probably the best thing to do. I would keep an eye out for a used husqvarna stihl or echo if you know what to look for. Or get another new one and use more throttle lol
I use half throttle a lot on my stihl weedeater though so I dunno. It's 20 years old and well broken in. That may have something to do with it.

Probably the best thing to do. I would keep an eye out for a used husqvarna stihl or echo if you know what to look for.

Funny part is I owned both of those as well and prefer the poulan I had my first one was great had for 3 years before I sold when I needed money. My stihl gave me lots of carb problems. The echo was just too heavy to use for more then 5 mins at a time.

All of these carbs have specific fuel circuits for part throttle - especially the barrel valve carbs which were designed for that purpose. But even the conventional carbs have extra idle transfer fuel outlets that are activated as the throttle plate swings open. It's not real well controlled but I gotta believe they can make sure it's not too lean, especially as I don't think you normally bog a string or hedge trimmer down the same way you can a saw.

All of these carbs have specific fuel circuits for part throttle - especially the barrel valve carbs which were designed for that purpose. But even the conventional carbs have extra idle transfer fuel outlets that are activated as the throttle plate swings open. It's not real well controlled but I gotta believe they can make sure it's not too lean, especially as I don't think you normally bog a string or hedge trimmer down the same way you can a saw.
Exactly how I feel chainsaw wot of course leaf blower pretty much but string trimmer or hedger no I rather not have rocks and poison ivy and whatevwr else hit me in the face at max velocity if not nessacary 3 foot weeds sure it's nessacary but not the weekly missed push mower spots

Exactly how I feel chainsaw wot of course leaf blower pretty much but string trimmer or hedger no I rather not have rocks and poison ivy and whatevwr else hit me in the face at max velocity if not nessacary 3 foot weeds sure it's nessacary but not the weekly missed push mower spots

Yup I've always just used only as much throttle as needed with my stihl weedeater, probably because when I was a teenager I was insistent on wearing shorts while weedeating. I have since gotten tired of getting my shins tore up and would rather be hot and sweat a little more. Got pretty good at not getting hit unless I just hit a lot of rocks using the right side of the trimmer to sling everything away from me.

Back