New Project 045 AV Super

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one ordered but just haven't received it yet.

Is there not a chain catcher that goes between them like I have on my 361?

NOPE... you need the 1117 chain catcher. I've been though this with the full wrap on the 056. Will publish soon, but there are 4 different clutch side handle mounts and three different (size) handles just for the full wrap... argghhh...

Yes, you could put on a roller, but them it wouldn't be orginal..

I had the same problem on the 056 i just did. The orange is so transparent. The next one I do , Im going to find a primer or paint that is orange ,so when you use the stihl orange It dont take 12 coats to cover . How did you paint the black on the stihl logo on the clutch cover . I didnt do mine yet not sure the best way to do it . BTW your saw is looking good.

I've held off on painting my top covers until I find a good touch up putty to blend the old paint lines... and I'm also priming.

A while ago I painted up some chop saw covers - with an orange Rustoleum paint from Home Depot - close to perfect match... btw.. got a NEW top cover and it was darker than the orginals.. so... what orange is correct anyhow?

I use the pen trick today on my recoil cover sight line...;)

Last edited:
I ordered one of these, but it was also NLA. Would anyone have a nice one they would be willing to sell?
160328071-M.jpg

sorry... tough to find... but one will turn up. I get just get a NOS 056Mag2 tag.. Swapped it for a NOS 056 Super tag..

NOPE... you need the 1117 chain catcher. I've been though this with the full wrap on the 056. Will publish soon, but there are 4 different clutch side handle mounts and three different (size) handles just for the full wrap... argghhh...

Yes, you could put on a roller, but them it wouldn't be orginal..

I have a new 1117 656 7700 chain catch but need a 6mm bolt to install it.

A while ago I painted up some chop saw covers - with an orange Rustoleum paint from Home Depot - close to perfect match... btw.. got a NEW top cover and it was darker than the orginals.. so... what orange is correct anyhow?

Thanks for the tip. A guy could use the Rusoleum as a base coat since it will cover, and then top-coat with the Stihl paint. That is as long as the paint solvents are compatible.

How long have you been messing with these saws Lakeside53.

I'm still waiting on my crank seal and base gasket. I got the carb mounted on the fuel tank and new filter installed. I went ahead and installed the tank. I then decided I had to see this thing all put together. You can see the wrinkle and blisters still in the engine cover/handle. I hope to get that smoothed out later tonight. I've also got to do something with the top handle to make it black. I've thought about coating it with the spray on rubber coating for tools. Has anyone ever installed a new factory "tube"?

160558630-M.jpg

160558665-M.jpg

160558727-M.jpg

160558703-M.jpg

Last edited:
I've also got to do something with the top handle to make it black. I've thought about coating it with the spray on rubber coating for tools. Has anyone ever installed a new factory "tube"?

The tool coating is too soft. Rhino-coat might work.

I just did a couple of 056 handles with factory "tube". Check out the thread on 090 handles a month or so back - I showed how it's done with a compressor etc. Might be easier if you send it to me though... you can't do it with a short piece.

Latest posts

Back