new race saw ideas?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RR saws

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
aside from a husky, any dolmar product, stihl, poulan, mac, or homelite. does anybody have any good ideas for a base race saw. I am looking to start a new one and would like an odd ball, maybe late 70s into the 90s. something in the 50 to 70 cc range. I just finished a husky and a makita. I would prefer to not have a stihl, Nothing against them.

Here's a wild idea to your question! A couple decades ago Echo made a 2 cylinder saw,I believe it was an opposed twin.I did a tune-up on one and was amazed how smooth it ran! It was built with excellent Japanese quality.
Now that would make a wild hot saw,dual pipes and dual carbs,theoretically it could put out some phenomenal power.
And it would have the "unusual" and "Wow" factor you desire.
There should still be a few around....

The second cylinder was a combustion cylinder,it was an opposed 2 cylinder motor,that's why it ran so smooth. It would look cool with 2 pipes on it!
I know the old MAC BP-1 you refer to,the second smaller piston was used to help charge the intake of the motor,it was a high revving saw of it's day.

Back