New Ryobi. Need some advice.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirt1

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Well I broke down and bought a Ryobi. I ended up getting a new one, not a refurb. After all the hype, I had to have one. This will also be my first modded saw. If it runs as good as everyone says it does, it will be replacing my MS-180 on the 4 wheeler.

So I'm wondering what needs to be done with it before I run it. I have read about cutting the fuel line down, and putting extra weight on it. What else??? I plan on doing the muffler mod, but I would like to order the carb adjustment tool first. I am new to the modding stuff, and just don't want to make a serious mistake. Thanks for the help .

dirt

Put mix and oil in it and go cut!

Then get yourself a Woodsman Pro 30LP chain for it. I drilled a little hole in my muffler and thats all I've done to mine so far. I should get that carb tool and give it a little tweak.

I threw an old 14'' bar from a fried Poulan Woodshark on mine, but have just been running the stock 18'' lately. Less bending over. I'm happy with the set-up. Just ran 2 tanks thru mine on some 12'' locust. Ran and cut great.

You already have the fuel line issue figured out. My advice would be. #1 open muffler up, mine was set rich so I did not have to retune the carb after muffler mod. Put a 16 in bar on it and get some Oregon 91 VX (non-safety)chain and run it. The more I ran mine the better it got. I know alot of guys that laughed at it because of the name and the yellow pull cord and the 40cc displacement, but after they see that little thing cut they stop laughing. Congrats on your saw you might as well retire the MS 180 now and save it's embarassment.

So I'm wondering what needs to be done with it before I run it. I have read about cutting the fuel line down, and putting extra weight on it. What else??? I plan on doing the muffler mod, but I would like to order the carb adjustment tool first. I am new to the modding stuff, and just don't want to make a serious mistake. Thanks for the help .

if you search under my username you will find i have posted with pix everything to do except porting.i have done it but not posted yet.
the 16in B&C is one of the best mods

1/2 " hole in muffler, tweak rich on the H mix
16" Oregon B & C
shortened fuel line

I like it for small jobs, I gave my son my MS 250 and John Deer CS 36 for his place.
Good luck !

Thanks for the help guys! Double D and spare plug on the way from edge & engine. Also picked up a 14" bar this weekend. Can't wait to give her a try.

Back