New saddle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfking42084

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello all,
I've made up my mind to get a new climbing saddle here in the next couple of weeks. I currently use the petzl navaho. It has been an ok saddle for me but can wear the back of my legs and lower back out. Other than that, i'm very happy with the attachment points and storage accessories. I am debating on the Ergovation or the Treemotion. I really like the treemotion and is prob. my favorite right now. Any input from you guys who use either one would be great. I will be using the saddle for rope climbing and gaffs, depending on a takedown or trim. Thanks guys

I have used a master ll for long time . One of my graduates bought that Ergovation last Nov, at TCIS expo , Dave loves that thing. If you have the Frog Pelts$$ go for it

Last edited:
saddle

I tried the tree austria , WITH the optional extra piece that feels like a seat.

Fresco is a neighboring business, so I was able to hang in the saddle in the store to make my decision.

It is a very choice saddle, much more comfortable than the others I had tried. You dont hang there from your legs like other saddles, all frog legged, it really feels like you hang with your own personal scaffold to sit on. For me it is the cadillac of saddles.

Also the floating D ring is ideal.

This might help you weigh your options.

I just bought the Ergo' after looking at it and the treemotion side by side.

The Ergo' won out because of it's adjustibilty, durabilty and modular construction.

You will have to buy a SRT attachment to get the single attachment point along with the rope bridge but that is a small price in my mind.

You can also get a batten seat and a fall arrest attachment for it too.

Rope bridge is easily replaced and you can move it up and down while you have weight on it to move your center of gravity. You can also hook your lanyard into the bridge attachment.

The side Dees are adjustable fore and aft ( I think 4 inches per Dee of adjustment) and have a polymer insert between them and your hip bones.

Quick connect buckles at the waist and legs.

Lumbar pad "pouch" that you can adjust where your support is or add and subtract as needed.

There will be more attachments available June/July. Stiffer leg loops, batten seat, "glide" style bridge.

I'll get some pictures.....be right back.

Here is a thread with some (grainy) pictures.

I will see what else I can dig up.... I did a little research. :)

BTW, I was climbing with the Petzl variobelt but it did not have a floating bridge. That was why I started looking at a new harness.

Here are some more pictures. Ed Carpenter designed the harness and posted them elsewhere on the net. I reposted them here.

This is the Gamma attachment, similar to the Glide.

attachment.php

The two harness attachments.

attachment.php

attachment.php

The batten seat can be set up to be installed while you are in the tree.

attachment.php

The Omega attachment (comes with the saddle currently) and attaching your lanyard to it to clean up your harness.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Thanks for the photos Ghillie.

What is the cost of the attachment options? It seems the saddle is roughly $500. I'm curious as to what it costs to customize.

If you know, what attachments are available and what other ones are planned?

Thanks for the photos Ghillie.

What is the cost of the attachment options? It seems the saddle is roughly $500. I'm curious as to what it costs to customize.

If you know, what attachments are available and what other ones are planned?

If you do a little research, you can get the harness for under $450. Sherrill has the SRT attachment (front attachment point) for $40. They also have the Y harness but their website is down for maintenance so I can't tell you the price on that.

Sherrill seems to be the first to get the attachments when they are available.

I think everything else will be available mid-summer.

Thanks Ghillie,
I was worried about the durability of the treemotion being used with a lanyard. My time is spent 70%-30% rope climbing vs. gaffs. What little time I am on gaffs, I want something durable enough. where is the cheapest you have found for either saddle?

Thanks Ghillie,
I was worried about the durability of the treemotion being used with a lanyard. My time is spent 70%-30% rope climbing vs. gaffs. What little time I am on gaffs, I want something durable enough. where is the cheapest you have found for either saddle?

Blue Ridge Arborist Supply and Tree stuff $475 (and site sponsors)

Like I said, I have only looked at the Treemotion, and have not seen the Treeflex, but the Ergo' has much heavier duty webbing and hardware. If you are looking for durability, that would be my recommendation.

Plus if you wear a single component out, you can replace just that component, you don't have to get a new saddle.

Tree Stuff is where I bought mine, they didn't have my size in stock (XL) and drop shipped it from Buckingham which took an extra week but I have been to their shop and they had a large in stock. Luke at TreeStuff is good to deal with, even when I bugged him with a thousand questions.

Here is the instructions for the Ergo' if ou want to look at the assembly (they come assembled).

Oh... and they are rated for 310# which was something else I was concerned about. (6'5" x 260#)

i have to say it looks sketchy. The 3 hole paws that I think are the " Omega attach point" The paw plates look to sharp in my opinion. The first pic has a bridge attached to rings which looks nicer on rope.
Is any saddle perfect? No. Am I? Well...

i have to say it looks sketchy. The 3 hole paws that I think are the " Omega attach point" The paw plates look to sharp in my opinion. The first pic has a bridge attached to rings which looks nicer on rope.
Is any saddle perfect? No. Am I? Well...

Does this look any better?

attachment.php

Skylotec kolibiri....pricey but a good damn saddle

was going to step into that one but it didnt have the seat. i liked how that one looked.

good pics ghillie. you trying to get sponsored by them? making me want to get one. lol. that saddle is looking to be worth every penny from where i am looking.

Does this look any better?

attachment.php

I was a little hesitant to look but I did but the answer is still no. The hardware looks like its going to be hard on the webbing, check there for wear after some time, sweat and stress.
I don't know where they get off making this flimsy stuff. Lets see that webbing in september. I like the idea I just think the paws are too square. The area bears a lot of forces, its just with rounder hardware you get less wear.

Last edited:
I was a little hesitant to look but I did but the answer is still no. The hardware looks like its going to be hard on the webbing, check there for wear after some time, sweat and stress.
I don't know where they get off making this flimsy stuff. Lets see that webbing in september. I like the idea I just think the paws are too square. The area bears a lot of forces, its just with rounder hardware you get less wear.

Cool... I hear what you're sayin'. Hopefully I will be busy enough this year to put it to the test!!

Back