New saw, $250 limit???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Efco saw that is the same as the Cub Cadet version sells for 629.00 on Bailey's, it is a hell of a saw at 299.99 with free shipping. If the 50.00 kills the deal, I'd keep an eye out on CL for a used pro stihl, I'd run from the newer poulans, just buying a throw away, imho, it's the same as buying a 99.00 push mower at Wally World, use it until it has a problem and then toss it, disposable saws. I know some will take offense, short term it's great, but I buy with the intent of passing them down. If I live long enough, there's no doubt I'll see a fourth generation use the old 028 or 032.

Wow,
I only recomended it to fit his budget.
Plus it has an easy to clean spark arrestor!!:cheers:

:laugh: Find a good used Stihl 026 and live happily ever after. A 10-year-old pro good-condition 026 (for what you have in mind) will last the rest of your life.

Last edited:
If used is a option?

Look around for a clean used Stihl 026.

I agree. Find a clean used 026. I own one and probably cut with it 75% of the time.

Stay away from ebay. Overpriced and risky. Look on craigslist and buy local. If you have any questions on what to look for just ask us.

Take care and good luck,
Marty

I'm not a fan of either of these saws, but................

This is a really clean MS211, should cut 10" wood all day long, just fine: http://www.arboristsite.com/pp-classifieds/showproduct.php?product=4150&cat=6

Echo CS-520 with a link to ebay for $250 : http://www.arboristsite.com/pp-classifieds/showproduct.php?product=4154&cat=6

Both listed on the first page of the trading post. Look through there, sometimes you win.

Check craigslist, I found an MS200t for a guy, $250, damn near new. I'm not fond of ebay saws for what you want, you want something that will run, it's not a given with ebay.

Talk to your local dealers and see if they have any trade in's or last year models they need to clear out. With what you are looking to spend I don't think you will find new, but sure might find a deal on a used one, they might even have a customer wanting to sell one they don't want to take in on trade?

I would still recommend the Poulan Pro 330. Poulan will exchange the carb if you have the idling issue.
Even if you buy your own replacement carb your still well under 250.

I gave 175 for mind. Is there a saw out there that will run with the PP330 for 175 dollars new?

I was in a similar situation and, after spending a lot of time reading posts here, came to the conclusion that I'd be better off with a used saw. So, my suggestion is to
1) Go to http://www.baileysonline.com and order a catalog today. Saws need maintenance and baileys has the parts you need. Even if you prefer to buy from a local dealer, baileys likely has a better selection and you can look things up at your convenience. It's also a good reference.
2) Realize that you need protective gear. So you need to allocate some money to that. You can get Husky chaps at Lowes, hearing protection most anywhere (I use my shooting muffs), safety glasses & gloves. I went with the steel toed boots from WalMart, they are inexpensive protection. If you are felling standing trees, please get a helmet. I'm only bucking felled trees and still manage to bump my head from time to time.
3) OK, so now your budget is reduced. Check the used chainsaw section here every day or so and react quickly when you see a saw in your price range. The link is http://www.arboristsite.com/pp-classifieds/showcat.php?cat=6&limit=last7. It took me about 3 weeks to get a saw this way, I'm pleased that I waited as I got a 50cc Husky saw for about the price of a crappy, unsafe Poulan at Lowes. The member I bought from was very patient with my questions and, by buying from someone who has a lot of posts here you can be reasonably sure that they care a lot more about saws & cutting wood than the scammer selling saws on eBay. While Craigslist can be a source of deals, you need someone to help you insure that the saw has not been abused.
4) While you are waiting for a good saw to come up for sale here, hit your local dealers to see what they sell, what they service and what is available. While people suggested asking local dealers about used saws, I found none, despite trying about 10 places. Lift and handle some saws, see how they feel, realize that a saw will not feel anywhere near as heavy when cutting wood.

As long as you can get local service, do not worry too much about Stihl vs Husky, etc. While each brand (and saw) has it's advantages and fans, for what you are doing, most any saw will "get the job done".

I'm not a fan of either of these saws, but................

This is a really clean MS211, should cut 10" wood all day long, just fine: http://www.arboristsite.com/pp-classifieds/showproduct.php?product=4150&cat=6

Echo CS-520 with a link to ebay for $250 : http://www.arboristsite.com/pp-classifieds/showproduct.php?product=4154&cat=6

Both listed on the first page of the trading post. Look through there, sometimes you win.

Check craigslist, I found an MS200t for a guy, $250, damn near new. I'm not fond of ebay saws for what you want, you want something that will run, it's not a given with ebay.

Talk to your local dealers and see if they have any trade in's or last year models they need to clear out. With what you are looking to spend I don't think you will find new, but sure might find a deal on a used one, they might even have a customer wanting to sell one they don't want to take in on trade?

yea--there are some nice used saws on the Trading post! there are also some dolmar/makita 510s, 520, and a 540 i think and a husky 50 special that looks real clean--plenty of good saws around close to and sometimes under the $250 price range--

if you really want low buck.

amazon has the china made blue max 45cc saw for $129.99 shipped.

a ryobi refurb 40cc saw for $99

and a poulan refurb 46cc for $119.99

these saws may be enough for very light duty stuff. even the china made blue max might be enough to cut a few small trees.

the problem with the box store saws is sometimes you get a good one out of the box and some times you get a problem child.

if you get a good one then you got your moneys worth ---YMMV.:greenchainsaw::chainsaw:

Buy a used Stihl 026 if you can find a good deal. Otherwise, you may also find a good 025, or MS250. I am told the 025 can be muffler-modded to run very well.
Otherwise, a Stihl 026 would fit very well. Happy Sawing --=-- Tommy

For a bullet proof quality saw at that price range now-a-days, there's none better than Echo, and they have a great 5 yr. warranty.

In that price range, their CS-370 has great reviews. Light weight, easy starting and fast running. It's listed for $269, but you might find it for a little less. Their CS-310 is less powered but still good quality, and still should easily cut 10" wood. It sells for $199.

From doing a lot of research on the net, the CS-370 is going to be my next saw. I now have a Husky 51 which has been a great saw. I bought it new about 15 years ago and its never been in a shop. But my son in law didn't take care of it and it got hot and seized up.

I have heard that the new lower end Husky and Stihl saws aren't built as well as they used to be, and are lacking some of the quality older ones had. But the best thing is find the one you like at your price point and do a search on this and other sites to see how others like them.:cheers:

So many great ideas and choices!!!

Thank you to all who took time to respond!! I haven't decided yet but will let you all know what I decide on,
I have to say the Poulan 330 for $179 at TCS sounds interesting, as does the Cub Cadet 16" for $199.
Many thanks!!!:)

if i had to go low low buck--

i would consider the ryobi 40cc saw for $99-$129 there is a thread on them here where they made pretty good saws out of them with a little TLC.

or one of those 330 poulans for $175 if you are mechanically minded.

Back