new saw around 45 or 50cc

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gizmo-au

Reaction score
Hi

I have a small bush acreage and need a saw for firewood to feed a single wood heater, plus to remove the occasional tree that has fallen or had the misfortune to have been planted in the wrong spot. I'm not a heavy user - maybe one or two days a month.

I currently have a Jonsered 2040 turbo, its about 15 years old and getting a bit tired. It was given a new chain and full service just before Christmas, but a few things have gone wrong since then, latest is the 4 bolts that hold the motor to the base have fallen out, allowing the motor to move enough that the starter clutch dogs have eaten the plastic teeth on the starter pulley. Old age or a bad last service, who knows?

I have looked around and the top of my list is the Stihl MS250. I like the look of the 250C-BE with easy2start and tool-less chain tension adjust. (my partner uses the saw occasionally, and I always have to re-do the chain tension). Do these gadgets make the saw less durable than the conventional model?
I have heard over the years that Stihl have "pro grade" saws that are great and "homeowner" saws that are plasticky and not durable, is this true and where does the MS250 fit on the spectrum?

Other saws I am considering are:
Husky 445 e series?
Makita / Dolmar DCS 450 or 500?
OleoMac 947F or 952F?

Any comments on these saws?

The dealer for the OleoMac is the guy who did the last service on my Jonsered so I have a question there, was it a dud service or is the machine just falling to bits? (He did a fantastic job on my ride on mower, it's never been better.)
The dealer for the Husky is basically a motor bike dealer with some saws in the corner, I have some misgivings there. Only been the H dealer about a year.
The Makita dealer is the ex-Husky dealer, a well established company I have dealt with for years for other equipment.
The Stihl dealer is a bigger store with plenty of stock and spares, never dealt with them before but they seem friendly, knowledgeable and helpful.

So which way do you recommend?

i really like olys but unless you intend to maintain and work on your own saws i think you should go with the dealer who can provide satisfactory service, when you need it. i can't imagine why a mechanic would be fooling with motor mounts if he's just doing a tune-up. these beasts do vibrate so its always a good idea to tighten things up on a regular basis. having said that i would go back and talk to the guy that did your last saw work just to see how he handles being questioned. if he pulls 'tude on you, don't go back (yeh i know its the oly dealer but name brand loyalty only goes until someone screws something up). just sayin.

Last edited:
bearing in mind the dealers, I'm probably down to the Makita DCS460 or DCS 500, or the Stihl MS250.

Stihl - is the easy2start any good long term (durable)?? Is the tool-less tensioner a good idea or do the plastic bits break with use?

Is it worth stepping up to the MS291?

Is the Makita a more "pro-quality" saw than the MS250?

Prices in Aussie Dollars:

Stihl MS250 - $789 (45cc 18 inch bar)
Stihl MS250 C-BE - $869 ( adds easy2start and tool-less adjust)
Stihl MS291 - $999

Makita DCS460 / 38 - $649 (45.6cc 15 inch bar)
Makita DCS500 / 45 - $799 (49.9cc 18 inch bar)

OleoMac - 952 - $750 (52cc 18 inch bar)

I have vague recollections of being told that if a Stihl saw model number ends in a 0 it is a homeowner grade saw, their better models end in a 1.

Is that right or nonsense?

I believe the Stihl has a plastic crankcase, is that right? is it a problem?

thanks.

Last edited:
If you Yanks think those prices are a bit high, try adding another 7% on top of it because the US$ is only A$.93

I'll never buy another saw from a dealer in Oz, I'd rather import something myself. You might want to check out what is on Ebay, or through Baileys. The exchange rate will offset the shipping costs.

Edit: I just checked Baileys. You will find a LOT of fellows on this forum that would recommend a Husky 346NE. Here's the link to Baileys offering of the 346 - http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=HVF+346XP+18&catID=11439

That price of US$509.95 is A$474.30.

Last edited:
That's funny. The only Husky dealer near me is also a motorbike shop with some saws in the corner. Home Depot doesn't count. I have yet to find a Makita/Dolmar dealer (not that I have tried too hard).

The fact is that you don't need a pro saw for your needs, and you will probably be quite happy with any of the saws you listed.

The MS250 has proven to be a very durable saw for a lot of people. I'm not sure the BE options have been around long enough to really prove their durability, but I wouldn't be worried about that. The owners of them seem to be happy. In the worst case, you could always convert back to the standard configuration by swapping out a couple parts.

The Makitas are attractive choices for durability and price. If you can find dealer support, you should seriously consider those.

I would go with a Stihl MS 250 too I like mine.. If you had the chips I would for sure go with a Stihl MS261. I wouldn't even think twice. I know my stihl's will out cut my Jonny's . I am more of a stihl fan then anything else. I know the 026 was my fathers once had a new ring.. I did have too to carb kit twice,new air filters and spark plugs.. And my father used all spring threw fall .. Now I have and use it.I do need to replace the piston ring here soon... I would stay with stihl..But that is if you have a good dealer..I have a 445 husky under powered with a 18 inch bar so I put a 16 on it helped some but not much not too happy with it.If you all ready have a Jonny. I would get a 2152 nice saw for the money..If you like your dealer.Main thing to remember is dealer support and how long they have been selling the name brand of the saw and how good they back it up there product they are selling. I know all the jonny dealers have dropped off around where I live.I pick up all of my jonnys at stihl dealers that are traded in....Or buy a good saw from one of the members off of here.But as far as it sounds with yopur dealers around you I would for sure go with the stihl dealer.I am not saying that becouse I love stihls but it sounds like a soild good dealer that would back you up on you sale.

Last edited:
The MS250 is crap compared to an 026.

Look closely at the two saws and the 026 is better quality,but it is not lighter. Almost the same power.Pay over two hundred dollars more for a 026 because it says PRO on it?They are both well made and reliable.

I am with you Troll. I think the 026's are some of the best saws made. I have used 025's many times (owned one for 12 years) and find they are underwhelming. I have a few 026's which I use if my Partner 5000's are resting and could not want for a better small saw.

Having said that, a new 346 from the US is being delivered to my door next week for less than half the price of one from a dealer here in OZ.

If the OP wants to contact me I have a minty 034 Super with an almost new 20" Stihl bar that needs a new home.
Al.

Back