New saw chain on the market, first look!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been told very little other than what I've stated. Seems some of you have dug this stuff up by the links in the reply's. I'll run it this weekend and see. The price point was going to be cheaper than most I was told.... like 100' roll for under $250.

I see that most of you think it's junk?
I got to pretty much the link in post #13 by putting these words in a search engine "e&s chainsaw chain" The e&s came from your pictures.

I tend to believe what has been stated on here before in that the chain making companies have smart metallurgists and their product is most like a trade off of various qualities like wear, edge holding, heat tolerance, vibration, cross cut vs diagonal cut, etc. To have a post of a new chain manufacturer with no web presence listed claiming to be better than Oregon tends to get off to a suspicious start.

I went back to the link in post 13 and noticed

"4/saw chain's material is from Korea directly.we have sawchain,harvester chain,carving chain like 3/8lp,.325,3/8,.404,1/4 and so on."

It may not be Chinese chain.

Last edited:
all the samples in your pics show either the anti-kickback link or the depth gauge "stop". Neither of which I like to run. I want plain jane, straight up chain, nothing inbetween the cutters except connector links. I won't stay up for the show:msp_wink:

I was on my local Jonsered dealer this morning and i bought a 14" bar.When i asked him for a chain he gave me a Husqvarna branded,H36 if i remember correct.He was trying to convince me that this chain cuts like a hot knife on butter.it looks like the safety chain that Randy uploaded.Anyway,i was very negative so he gave it to me for free to try it.i think he sell the 52dl for 12$.Very cheap i must say.

It's oregon made chain, and if the H36 is safety chain(I don't recall offhand), I've used it and it sucks. Oregon 91VXL performs much, much better.

Look like direct copies of Oregon chain patterns. The finish looks good in the photos, but that does not tell us anything about the metallurgy, or quality (e.g. consistency of manufacture). Send some loops around for folks to try! See how they hold up side-by-side, keep an edge, etc. Post feedback. Only real way to tell.

Philbert

Look like direct copies of Oregon chain patterns. The finish looks good in the photos, but that does not tell us anything about the metallurgy, or quality (e.g. consistency of manufacture). Send some loops around for folks to try! See how they hold up side-by-side, keep an edge, etc. Post feedback. Only real way to tell.

Philbert

Great.. I can send one to each of you as I only have two loops to share. We can cut a few minutes and then send it to the next guy..:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

They suck, only sent two and one is about the size of a 14" bar. Let me go back and ask for some real samples!

I have tried a few chinese chains and there was really nothing to write home about. Some are so bad they need to be adjusted every 5 minutes and I'm not even exaggerating... make 2 decent cuts and the chain is about to fall off. I have not used them long enough to wear out the chains but I'm hoping the stretching stops eventually or you may have to remove a link once the adjust bottoms out.

However, I did try a stihl RSC copy once and it actually fared reasonably well, even the cutters held up okay and not copious amounts of stretch. Some may even think it was a real stihl chain.

So yes, the chinese can produce a reasonably okay chain but I am sure quality will improve over time as it does with most other things. If the chain is cheap enough it would be perfect for those dirty jobs like stumping etc.

Any news on "imported" bars? I'm sure their quality is improving also.

Chinese Chain

I got to pretty much the link in post #13 by putting these words in a search engine "e&s chainsaw chain" The e&s came from your pictures.

I tend to believe what has been stated on here before in that the chain making companies have smart metallurgists and their product is most like a trade off of various qualities like wear, edge holding, heat tolerance, vibration, cross cut vs diagonal cut, etc. To have a post of a new chain manufacturer with no web presence listed claiming to be better than Oregon tends to get off to a suspicious start.

I went back to the link in post 13 and noticed

"4/saw chain's material is from Korea directly.we have sawchain,harvester chain,carving chain like 3/8lp,.325,3/8,.404,1/4 and so on."

It may not be Chinese chain.

E&S Garden Tools is a Chinese company and makes their chain in China. I was in their factory about 4 years ago - very little quality control on their processes. Their chain at that time was junk - stretched terrible and I beleive that some of their cutters broke in half. They may use Korean steel, but the chain is made in China. They would had to have make an extreme improvement in their chain to be better than equivalent Oregon chain. The chains shown are obviously an almost exact copy of Oregon's same types of chain - I would imagine that Oregon is in process of suing them for patent infringment with chains shown. Not that I think that Oregon's 91 chain is great, it is sh*t but still much better than most of it's limited remaining competition.

From my experience, it wouldn't take much to be better than Oregon chain, they stretched so bad and so fast I dumped Oregon like a hot potato and have ran Stihl chain religiously ever since. If memory serves me right, Carlton was another brand that stretched bad and prematurely, I think Carlton was worse than Oregon though.

Wastonr, while making use of the appropriate safety measures to perform what I would refer to as a chain test, I would take those chains and mount them up to a saw, after snugging the chains up like I would any brand of chain and I would then run the saw WOT throttle with no load for at least 30 seconds. I would do that 3 times and at the end of the 3rd 30 second time I would engage the chain brake.

If I had only one test saw and was all worried about tossing a bearing I might tune it a bit rich. Good chance it will snap a link so that is why I would be using the "test" saw. Those chains might not be worth the postage and risk of sending someone a package of hurt.

The early SS chain was scary, before you get much involved with this brand, beat it senseless.

I used some SS chain today, it already has one Carlton tie strap repair, so hopefully it will make it through another tank, the 021 has too much power for the SS box chain, which is not surprising as the 018 also does.

Pre-stretched and pre-oiled is the norm for Stihl and Oregon, supposedly the norm with the newest Tri-Link SS chains. Certainly was not the case on the early Tri-Link SS chains.

Last edited:
E&S Garden Tools is a Chinese company and makes their chain in China. I was in their factory about 4 years ago..................

Obviously this isn't in total agreement with the following in post #1
" New saw chain on the market, first look!" title

"We've been approached to introduce a new saw chain to the market. The manufacturer is confident the chain is better than Oregon brand..............." post #1 body of text

The Chinese just keep trying one way or another to get there foot in the door and sooner or later people buy into it.
Its pretty easy ( in my opinion ) to watch the way the USA is moving.

We had some cutting to preform at work where hitting rocks was likely, we were taking out evergreens and landcscape. I purchased 6 loops of cheapo chain with that same marking figuring it was going to be trashed anyway. It was pure garbage. You couldn't run the saw long enough to get interested in what you were doing and the chain would be drooping from the bar and would come off if you didnt stop to tighten it. After 10 minutes running the loops for a 16" bar would probably be usable on an 18", no kidding. The cutters seemed to be reasonably hard but either the rivets or the links are made of butter.

Obviously this isn't in total agreement with the following in post #1
" New saw chain on the market, first look!" title

"We've been approached to introduce a new saw chain to the market. The manufacturer is confident the chain is better than Oregon brand..............." post #1 body of text

I've been told very little other than what I've stated. Seems some of you have dug this stuff up by the links in the reply's. I'll run it this weekend and see. The price point was going to be cheaper than most I was told.... like 100' roll for under $250.

I see that most of you think it's junk?

And in post #17 I also stated that I was told very little... WHY I posted it, to see if there was anything out there about this chain that I was given.. thanks for pointing that out. This chain came from a supplier, not from the manufacturer, so who knows what exactly he was told but I'm sure I got the story at least third hand or more and like the chain... the stretched truth.

Maybe I should hold all the "potentially new products" until they have been through the wringer?

Latest posts

Back