New saw: MS290 or Jred 2152 or Dolmar 510/5100?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So it's coming down to the MS290 OR the Dolmar 5100. I'll be leaning heavily toward the Dolmar if the guy will put a 20" B&C on it while beating the Stihl dealer price.

Stay tuned ....

If this is indeed your 2 saw race right now, I think you'll find 9 out of 10 guys telling you to go with the Dolmar (and I would be one of them too).

The 290 is a fine saw for what it does, but you are comparing a consumer grade stihl with a professional grade Dolmar.

A fairer fight would be the 290 vs a Dolmar 510 - and i think it would be a much closer battle, although the Dolmar would likely win that because of a better value. Up here, at least, the 5100 sells for the same as the 290 and the 510 actually sells for about $100+ less than either.

End of the day you probably wont be sorry with any of those, but I think you'll find the 5100/5105 has better power to weight, better anti vibe and overall better handling than the 290, for roughly the same $$$. The 'advantage' the stihl usually has is parts/dealer availability but if you've already got a good dolmar dealer then you're halfway there.

Good luck & tell us what you end up with! :)

Hedgerow,

I don't think it would be all that difficult at all to tear a MS290 down. Check out the youtube videos (4) titled "repair of ms250" and you'll see what I mean. They're basically constructed the same way and the guy does it very quickly. Not much there, really.

Steve

Power to price ratio makes perfect sense to me too. Given those facts, I would take the more powerful saw, if it was very close to the same price. We just don't have Dolmars around here. Curious as to the warranties. Stihl has a 2 year warranty. Dolmar?

Steve

Last edited:
Sunfish, do I sense you are getting tired of all of the "Help me pick a new saw threads" lately? :dizzy: I agonized over which saw to get since I had to spend wisely but I really appreciated your help and all the others who responded to my thread, thanks again. I have to go back and dish out some rep.
No, they do get kind of old at times, but I actually like these threads. I think some folks get tired on my preaching the 346xp, so I try and tone it down a bit.

Also the best 50cc saw was not one of his choices, so not much need to comment.:)
:cheers:

I have never ran a 290 but am a Stihl head for the most part. The 5105 I have is great. The 261 is the Belle of the Ball of 50cc saws but the Dolmar holds its own, and is what I use for the less enjoyable jobs, noodling, knarly chunks. Just a brute of a saw in raw power, stock class. I've tried to hurt this 5105 completing full tanks of fuel without a break and still asks for more. 18" 3/8ths RSC or RM and it's happy. 346 and 261 has it beat in filtration.

Hedgerow,

I don't think it would be all that difficult at all to tear a MS290 down. Check out the youtube videos (4) titled "repair of ms250" and you'll see what I mean. They're basically constructed the same way and the guy does it very quickly. Not much there, really.

Steve

I know the Stihl dealer has parts, but I've not noticed an over abundance of after market stuff for the "mid" grades... I do know this... Buy a new P&C from our local Stihl dealer, and you might as well get on craig's list and buy another saw for the same $$$. Sorry rooster, sometimes I don't get what I'm trying to say across very well... As far as durability, I would not hesitate to hand a man a 290 and tell him "Here, go cut 20 cords". You should see how some of the guys treat these saws around here... They keep coming back for more...

The 290 will get the job done without much fuss or thrills. If the 5100/5105 is in the price range I think you'll be happier with it. The 5105 seems at home with an 18" 3/8s chain.

We don't have Dolmars here, but you can get a MS290 here for about $370. I did. It's a good saw and I've run the heck out of it. According to the "spec" sheet it's a little weighty (13lbs) for it's power output (3.8hp). I seriously doubt a man would notice the "extra" weight, I don't. Mine pulls great with the 20" bar and yellow chain. I've begun to doubt whether many of the saws detractors have ever used one. I truly believe they're just doing some math based on what they've read in the catalog spec sheets. I've bucked around 5 cords of mostly dry oak and it has performed well. Hope this helps.

I could not of said it better.

I believe this is very close to the truth;

The 5100S came lean from the factory, for EPA reasons - the dealer should have corrected it before he handed it to you.

I don't think they need to set the 5105 as lean, as the cat muffler probably takes care of the EPA issue. Max rpm has also been lowered from 14,500 to 13,800. Engine cooling has also been improved, according to the marketing (no reason to doubt it).

13800 is where the 5100 should be set to be safe and have a good powerband. Steve

Back