New saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven B

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a new chainsaw with a 18" or 20" bar. My budget is $400, if the price is right $500. I'm looking at the Stihl, Echo, efco 152(bailey's), Husky. I'm not to familiar with Dolmar & other brand of chainsaws that I didn't mention, feel free to elaborate on them.
The main task well be cutting fire wood. I've got a local Stihl dealer, theirs a dolmar, echo & husky dealer within 30 miles of me.

I think in your price range for something that will command an 18" bar you have some good options.

From Stihl you could pick up a 270 which is a stout little saw for a "mid range" saw, a little more you could go with a 260 which is a pro saw with a great reputation.

I personally can find nothing negative to say about Efco as I have 2 of them dressed in green, I would look at the 156, as it has more nutz then the 152 and is essentially a 62 with a smaller piston. Mostly metal saw and really peppy.

I haven't looked at husky prices in a while, but the 359 is great if it fits your price range.

As far as Echo I will simply say I don't like them so I can't give much of an opinion. Dont Rule out Solo.

You could get 3 WildThings:jawdrop:a guy at work has one and he can't say enough about it's firewood cutting ability and how it just blows away his neighbors mac something.Personaly I wood look into the Dolmar 5100,they seem to pack a good punch for a saw there size and the price is resonable and in your range.:chainsaw::givebeer:

DOLMAR 5100 is the best bang for the buck and as close to bullet proof as you can get. Dolmar is built in Germany and has been around since 1927 so they know how to build a saw.

I was just looking at the new PS5100S last week for $420.
Link: http://www.dolmarpowerproducts.com/productcatalog/product/5153/index.html

It looks like the PS5100 are being replaced with the PS5100S as stocks are depleted.

Do your research and also ask the dealer to test out the saw before making your decision. Find what fits for you.

I own (2) 026 and just was comparing newer models.

Good luck with your purchase.

For a real deal get a Stihl 290. Just bought one for a friend $359 out the door. Good power with good handling with a 20" b&c. You can't go wrong with the old 029 super if you can find a good one.

Thanks for the advise everyone. I'm going to check out the Dolmar 5100.
I've been a long time looker & searched allot on this forum, sometimes small things get past me.:dizzy:

Wow :jawdrop: 14 replies with many mentioning Dolmar and none of the anti Dolmar/5100-S brigade have piped in yet? Must be a first :confused:
Go the 5100 mate, excellent little saw with power to spare - its one of the best value saws on the market along with its bigger brother the 7900 I reckon. In my opinion get it in 3/8", not .325" chain size.

I was just looking at the new PS5100S last week for $420.
Link: http://www.dolmarpowerproducts.com/productcatalog/product/5153/index.html

It looks like the PS5100 are being replaced with the PS5100S as stocks are depleted.

Do your research and also ask the dealer to test out the saw before making your decision. Find what fits for you.

I own (2) 026 and just was comparing newer models.

Good luck with your purchase.

They have always been 5100S, but people tend to leave the "S" out when speaking of it, as with the xp when speaking of the 346xp.....

They have always been 5100S, but people tend to leave the "S" out when speaking of it, as with the xp when speaking of the 346xp.....

Have they always been setup from factory at 14500 rpm (14,500 min-1 as listed), the piston and crank (read somewhere that was improved as well, setup from the factory to be a real screamer)?

Seen an older model on the shelf and a new one out of the box. New one had different decals (on the handle), larger dogs, 3/8 chain, with what looked like other improvements. Had to fly to a job, so didn't have time to get into details with rep on changes.

Curious on what improvements they made?

Last edited:
I went down to a dolmar dealer yesterday & they didn't have the 5100 in stock, but their supplier has them in stock. Dolmar has a sale going for $434 for the 5100. Is that a fair price? I'm going to check out 2 more dealers thats close to me on monday.

Back