New saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

300zx_tt

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Looking for a lighter 50-60cc saw that will Still pull a 20” bar. I’m partial to Stihl’s (have an 880 that I love but use mostly for milling and big bucking) and was looking at the ms261 or ms362. Currently have a rancher 455 As my medium duty bucking saw and I’m not too fond of it. My wife bought me an echo cs-590 for Christmas but I’m debating returning it for one of the stihl’s. Not sure, looking for opinions

Looking for a lighter 50-60cc saw that will Still pull a 20” bar. I’m partial to Stihl’s (have an 880 that I love but use mostly for milling and big bucking) and was looking at the ms261 or ms362. Currently have a rancher 455 As my medium duty bucking saw and I’m not too fond of it. My wife bought me an echo cs-590 for Christmas but I’m debating returning it for one of the stihl’s. Not sure, looking for opinions
From what I’ve heard, the 590’s are good saws. The only experience I’ve had with one is replacing the oil pump, but peeking under the hood it seemed to be a solid saw.

From what I’ve heard, the 590’s are good saws. The only experience I’ve had with one is replacing the oil pump, but peeking under the hood it seemed to be a solid saw.
They seem ok, some parts are kinda cheesy, log dogs are tiny and there’s only one of them. More plastic than I’m used to I guess. I’m worried I’m gonna think it’s gutless after running bigger saws lol

Can't say enough good things about the MS462 as a medium allrounder, run a 20" light bar, great balance, superb speed & accuracy.

Also have much fondness for my MS261 & 362, run 16" & 18" standard bars with .325 on those respectively. Both great saws, just the 50-60cc class a little underpowered for commercial use in our timber.

Ran a 20" light bar on the MS500i for a short while, felt a little unbalanced so went back the 25" light on that saw. Great medium-large allrounder as well. Have put the the 500 through a year of solid abuse, hasn't missed a beat apart from a few bent bars.

When picking up the 880 at the end of day for big stumping cuts, feels like slow heavy dinosaur after throwing around the 261, 462 & 500.

If you have the cash, a 462 would be an absolute monster with a 20" bar.

Otherwise, a 261 will pull a 20" bar just fine and would be lighter.

I think the 362 is pointless considering the weight, displacement, and power...idk why they even sell them anymore. the 261 and 462 make it obsolete

The 590 isn't a bad little saw. Probably will need retuned as all the reading about them is lean from factory. The only one I've ran was ported and ran real close to my 036. I have a 261 and it is great with a 18" .325 chain. From reading here not many guys think they run good with a 20. Wish you were a tad closer ( i 'm just west of York) you could come over and run the 261 and 462.

i love my stihl pro saws
but echo is growing on me. i would muff mod it and take the red caps off the carb and adjust it correctly
but its all up to you. return it and pay <50% more for a pro stihl.
or keep it and sell it used if you dont like, and then get a stihl

If you have the cash, a 462 would be an absolute monster with a 20" bar.

Otherwise, a 261 will pull a 20" bar just fine and would be lighter.

I think the 362 is pointless considering the weight, displacement, and power...idk why they even sell them anymore. the 261 and 462 make it obsolete
My brother in law runs a 462, it’s an awesome saw. If I didn’t just buy myself 2 suppressors I’d consider spending another $700 on the 462. Probably on the larger side for what I need though. I wish the 362 had a better power/weight ratio and a better reputation. Seems most people agree with the points you made

The Echo Timber Wolf (CS-590) she bought you is a nice saw for $400. Slightly larger and more powerful than your Rancher it also has a metal engine case. It is available as a 24” version and running a 20” in anything is no problem.

If you want light and powerful it’s going to come with a price increase in the $150-200 range for a pro 50cc. The Timber Wolf is 13.2 pounds so a 60cc Stihl pro saw will be a bit lighter, but at a massive price increase.

Unless you were looking for a big jump in price I’d be happy with the Echo. It will last for many years and has a good engine.

There is also the option of returning the CS-590 and going to the CS-620, same displacement but different porting, dual rings, different carb and with a higher coil limiter. Plus you get the metal front handle and metal side cover that can accept a second set of dawgs, rim/drum instead of sprocket as well and I believe I higher grade of bar on it that you can replace the tip on. Plus to look at them if you didn't know what to look for you wouldn't know the difference and I'm guessing she wouldn't notice it either.

I'd personally also keep the echo. You cant compare that 455 to any pro saw, as it's a farm/ ranch saw, ie heavy and underpowered compared to a pro saw. I wouldnt be jumping on the return it and "upgrade" to a stihl either, the echo 590 is a solid saw, and will perform good for a very long time. Holding any smaller cc saw against an 880 is also absurd. Your not going to be able to stand on it and let it eat. I also feel the stihl 362, 462 comparison is pointless, just by virtue of cost difference. The ms 261 is a heck of a little saw, and should be at home with a 20" b&c on it. I'd still keep the echo.

There is also the option of returning the CS-590 and going to the CS-620, same displacement but different porting, dual rings, different carb and with a higher coil limiter. Plus you get the metal front handle and metal side cover that can accept a second set of dawgs, rim/drum instead of sprocket as well and I believe I higher grade of bar on it that you can replace the tip on. Plus to look at them if you didn't know what to look for you wouldn't know the difference and I'm guessing she wouldn't notice it either.

Good point! As far as I know the CS-590 is a semipro grade saw while the CS-620 is pro grade.

per ms 362 - It could be that tree services all over run them or other 60cc as the "small" saw. If my other saw wasn't a 461 I would most likely have two ms361. The 261 is just so little for the $$. Sure would like to test drive the ms400 tho...

All that being opinions, we don't have much in the way of hardwoods here. That being said I have put more than one 40" diameter spruce on the ground with a 24" bar on the ms361.

Ended up with a 261 and I like it. Light comfortable and solid rand 2 tanks through it today. Pretty happy camper
Congrats she’s a beauty, I have never ran a 261, but I have heard nothing but good about them. Solid, powerful, light, reliable, good filtration. Nice to see a manual carb too. One thing I have concluded with cleaning - less is more. Use an air compressor after each use, fins, clutch cover, bar, oil hole, recoil, around the carb, air filter etc, but don’t wash it.

An oil covered saw is a happy saw.

If you ever need to work on it, then clean it up spotless first, otherwise air is all you need.

Keep away from palm trees unless you are going for the swiss cheese look and store it on a a towel away from concrete or metal. Enjoy mate :)

Latest posts

Back