New Scheduling System For Saw Work

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm pretty sure my life's purpose is to write a book called "the baked goods tour of Australia", i'm sure it will take a lifetime as i'm barely through 1/4 of the bakeries - not to mention I'm no author.

When it comes to pies, there are three legendary contenders.
Cherry pie - Wagga Wagga cwa, seriously I have seen men cry. Beyond legendary. The chef must be in her 70's by now and her donations of pies are becoming less frequent, the recipe has been shared but the results are yet to be reproduced by others.
Pepper steak pie - Lameroo bakery, best breakfast ever. Also suitable for other times, but watching the sun rise down the Main Street, chatting to a baker as he is ready to knock off, with great chunks of juicy steak steaming in a pastry basket in front of you is one of life's better experiences.
Curried scallop pie - Ross bakery. Can't remember the name, but there are two bakeries in Ross and you'd need to go to both anyway. The "Ye olde worlde" themed one serves a magnificent vanilla slice. The other one serves a scallop pie that is beyond compare. On an island that prides itself on disguising the delights of the ocean as working mans food, the Ross curried scallop pie is truly a delight.

I'm pretty sure my life's purpose is to write a book called "the baked goods tour of Australia", i'm sure it will take a lifetime as i'm barely through 1/4 of the bakeries - not to mention I'm no author.

When it comes to pies, there are three legendary contenders.
Cherry pie - Wagga Wagga cwa, seriously I have seen men cry. Beyond legendary. The chef must be in her 70's by now and her donations of pies are becoming less frequent, the recipe has been shared but the results are yet to be reproduced by others.
Pepper steak pie - Lameroo bakery, best breakfast ever. Also suitable for other times, but watching the sun rise down the Main Street, chatting to a baker as he is ready to knock off, with great chunks of juicy steak steaming in a pastry basket in front of you is one of life's better experiences.
Curried scallop pie - Ross bakery. Can't remember the name, but there are two bakeries in Ross and you'd need to go to both anyway. The "Ye olde worlde" themed one serves a magnificent vanilla slice. The other one serves a scallop pie that is beyond compare. On an island that prides itself on disguising the delights of the ocean as working mans food, the Ross curried scallop pie is truly a delight.

Port Mac S.A cant remember the bakery but the seafood pies orsome.

Meat or seafood in a pie is like putting mustard on your peanut butter sandwich or pouring gatorade on a bowl of corn flakes. It's just not right.

Randy, just a random thought from my Management School days....one way to "manage" workflow is to increase profitability..yup charge more....you work too damn cheap if you have a work backlog three months long. The next semester we learned that we can reduce costs too....thats where the "shipping the labor off" to China and parts East...comes to play.:eek:
Funny 'cause they never had to teach us about the third way..."increase the labor force"...we worked on that all night and on the weekends trying to make more "little monkeys"....;)

HR Management is much harder then "product" management.
Good luck with the new system. Hope it works out better for you.

Randy,

Just so I can plan accordingly, what is the date for my Poulan 4000 to be finished, and stuff.

Aslo, please ignore DSS, as he's got The Mad Cow.

I'm not sure......I hope to be able to get to it after Bonnaroo.

I've not done Bob's 4000 yet either. Of course, I've had his much longer, but he never has pressured me.

Randy, just a random thought from my Management School days....one way to "manage" workflow is to increase profitability..yup charge more....you work too damn cheap if you have a work backlog three months long. The next semester we learned that we can reduce costs too....thats where the "shipping the labor off" to China and parts East...comes to play.:eek:
Funny 'cause they never had to teach us about the third way..."increase the labor force"...we worked on that all night and on the weekends trying to make more "little monkeys"....;)

HR Management is much harder then "product" management.
Good luck with the new system. Hope it works out better for you.

I've increased my prices to 275.00......at the first of the year I plan to go to 300.00.

I just want to do the best job that my hands are capable of. It's not so much about the price, as it is about doing something that I enjoy, and doing it well.

Handing someone that has never ran a well ported saw, and watching their face as it hits the wood has it's own reward. :)

I'm not sure......

I've increased my prices to 275.00......at the first of the year I plan to go to 300.00.

. :)

Still too cheap.... :).

And honestly, you will be certain of when you hit the "right price" with your new scheduling system because your appointments will match your availability perfectly. And Mrs. chimp won't be so awnry without her big chimpee so much.

How's john like the new system ? Bless that big feller fer us will ya !!!!!

It will be August 11th before the first of the scheduled saws hits the bench.

I've got a few to do between now and then. :laugh:

Jon? He's on a cruise ship in the Bahamas right now. :popcorn:

I feel privileged to have an appointment on the coveted 8/11 date! You may not get to see it, but I am really looking forward to the smile (per Randy: "Handing someone that has never ran a well ported saw, and watching their face as it hits the wood has it's own reward. :)" I think a ported 60 cc saw may be the best all around saw out there, and several posts from people with ported 562s, 262s and 361s (etc) seem to back that up.

I was going to suggest you raise prices last year, but I am glad you kept the increase modest. I was advised to double my rates for tax returns by another preparer. (for 2 1/2 months I work 7 days a week, long hours each day). He said I would only loose about 20% of my clients and would make more money doing less work. He may have been correct, but I could not bring myself to do it. Many of my clients have been with me for decades, and they are not just clients they are friends. In addition, some of my most appreciative clients are not at the higher end of the income scale, and I would not want to loose them. I just remain thankful that I have a successful business, especially in this economic environment.

Keep up the good work Randy!

I feel privileged to have an appointment on the coveted 8/11 date! You may not get to see it, but I am really looking forward to the smile (per Randy: "Handing someone that has never ran a well ported saw, and watching their face as it hits the wood has it's own reward. :)" I think a ported 60 cc saw may be the best all around saw out there, and several posts from people with ported 562s, 262s and 361s (etc) seem to back that up.

I was going to suggest you raise prices last year, but I am glad you kept the increase modest. I was advised to double my rates for tax returns by another preparer. (for 2 1/2 months I work 7 days a week, long hours each day). He said I would only loose about 20% of my clients and would make more money doing less work. He may have been correct, but I could not bring myself to do it. Many of my clients have been with me for decades, and they are not just clients they are friends. In addition, some of my most appreciative clients are not at the higher end of the income scale, and I would not want to loose them. I just remain thankful that I have a successful business, especially in this economic environment.

Keep up the good work Randy!

I'd have to say for bigger timber a ported 70cc saw is perfect, but your right the 60cc is a great all arounder!

I'd have to say for bigger timber a ported 70cc saw is perfect, but your right the 60cc is a great all arounder!

For bucking size & power are the way to go, but at the end of a long day a lighter saw can be very refreshing!

You have a nice lineup of saws there.

I should be adding an 046 by the end of today. My 044 cuts great, but on a recent cut it was a hot day and I was working on a very steep slope, and when that saw got hot I wished it had compression relief. 90% of the time it does not bother me, but that day it did.

For bucking size & power are the way to go, but at the end of a long day a lighter saw can be very refreshing!

You have a nice lineup of saws there.

I should be adding an 046 by the end of today. My 044 cuts great, but on a recent cut it was a hot day and I was working on a very steep slope, and when that saw got hot I wished it had compression relief. 90% of the time it does not bother me, but that day it did.

Thanks, by rights I should add the 034 super, the 036 pro and the top handle [forgot the ###] but they are usually out loaned to friends. The 390 is wearing a 24" right now and I will put on my 28" on it and the 24" on the 372 for a hardwood job in a few weeks, looks like I have 1 or 2 trees that will require a 36" so that one will go with me also. So I do run longer bars but only when needed. It is very very rare these days to need anything over a 28" bar for hardwood thinning in Michigan anymore, a shame really. I have found that a 20" bar covers the majority of my cutting so I have 5 or so of them. CJ

Latest posts

Back