New SpeedPro Kinetic Log Splitter from TSC...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Returned the SpeedPro

I didn't go through all 18 pages of this thread, only about a third of them. I will share my Speeco SpeedPro experience with you. I did the research and stumbled on the Speeco splitter going into one of the four local TSC stores that are near me. I couldn't believe the price when I saw it and bought mine on the spot. That was September 16th. In fact, the district manager spoke with me later on and said that I was the first one to buy one in his district.
Three days ago and about 30 cord of wood later, I returned the machine to TSC and got a refund of my money. I loved the machine when I first got it. There was nothing that it wouldn't split and fast! However, being pleased with the machine was short lived. Within a couple days, the two handed operation got to be annoying. It was minor and I could deal with it, but there were other issues. Next was the wobbling of the flywheels. The machine vibrates like crazy! You have to have it firmly blocked, or it will shimmy right past the chocks. Smaller logs bounce so much they won't stay in place on the splitter and have to be split on our hydraulic machine. But, even this was minor and could be dealt with. The next issue came with the centrifugal clutch. We had a bunch of really knotty wood to split and it slowed the engine down a number of times. Each time was accompanied by serious squealing coming from the clutch area. I assumed it to be the belts, shut the machine off and checked. Nope, belts are tight. The squealing was from the clutch. Now I'm getting worried. I just spent $1801.99 after tax, thinking I had gotten a great deal at a grand less than the Super Split. Then came the real deal breaker. Three teeth on the rack where it initially meets the pinion rounded off and one halfway back the rack sheared off. So, back to TSC the machine went. Fortunately I got an understanding manager and he waived the 30 day return policy after hearing what all was going on.
46 days I owned the machine and split with it less than half of those. Looks like Speeco has some bugs to work out if they want these machines to last in the long haul. Also looks like I'll be spending the extra money and buying a SS.

Looks like Speeco has some bugs to work out if they want these machines to last in the long haul. Also looks like I'll be spending the extra money and buying a SS.

I checked out the SpeedPro at my local TSC, and it looked really nice. Price was nice to. I almost bought it on the spot. But I didn't. It was posts like the above that made me hold back, and I'm glad I did. Then I checked out the Split-Fire at Splitfire Wood Splitters - Splitfire Wood Splitter Review They run about $2600.00. Splitting in both directions seems like the natural way to split. It seems to require less movement then the SuperSplit. And it doesn't seem to require the operator to work "quickly" like the SuperSplit does. You gotta be "fast" to operate the SuperSplit efficiently. I don't like to work that fast. But hey. That's just me, and I'm getting old (65).

Don <><

Three teeth on the rack where it initially meets the pinion rounded off and one halfway back the rack sheared off.

Sorry to hear you had these issues. Your TSC manager could have just got it fixed it for you. Pretty cool he took it back.

Do you have any theories about if it is the design, bad material or how you were operating it that made the teeth get rounded/broken?

For example, I guess the broken tooth in the middle would have failed in the midst of a split. So was that just a real hard piece of wood and the lever wasn't sensitive enough to release? As you split the hard stuff, did the mechanism ever release itself or would it just strain until you pulled the lever back yourself?

Did you hear a lot of grinding when you pulled the handle? Did you often run the engine at full throttle?

Hope you have better luck with your next machine.

I've had my SpeedPro for about 2 week, split less than 3 cords, and just ripped 4 teeth off the rack. I purchased the extended warranty just for this reason, so I'll see how well the repair goes. When it's working the splitters impressive, but the quality may be an issue.

I've had my SpeedPro for about 2 week, split less than 3 cords, and just ripped 4 teeth off the rack. I purchased the extended warranty just for this reason, so I'll see how well the repair goes. When it's working the splitters impressive, but the quality may be an issue.

I posted some Reviews off the TSC Site on the Speedco. There were enough to give me pause. I spent the xtra $$$ and purchased the NEW DR RadipFire. Haven't had a single issue. Haven't been happier. I stopped posting here for someone thought this thread should be only for Speedco Splitters but I kept on reading here anyhow. So sorry you learned by going the bargain road. Sometimes it just can't payoff in the long or even short run. SuperSplit has been around a very long time and the rep is outstanding. I went with Country Home Products for I have other items from them and swear by those. Their tech support is the best, I got a 3 year warranty. I have the right to refuse this Splitter after one year of use. Cost of shipping to send it back.... I got 500$ off the normal list price. All of that works for me.
:bang:

And it doesn't seem to require the operator to work "quickly" like the SuperSplit does. You gotta be "fast" to operate the SuperSplit efficiently. I don't like to work that fast. But hey. That's just me, and I'm getting old (65).

Don <><

Don, no need to work quick with a Super Split. It splits quick, but you can load it and pull the trigger at your leisure.
:cheers:

TSC just replaced my SpeedPro tonight. I hope to have better luck with this one.

On another note, I attempted to get the old splitter fixed using the extended service plan and wasn't able to get it into the shop for 5 days. From the looks of it service won't be quick if something breaks.

Ya just can't beat Made in the USA :msp_smile:
Or at the very least, some robust QC in USA rather than relying upon customers being the QC of last resort.
Heck, against the total cost of each shipment, it wouldn't be that hard to independently test and QC as part of the LC terms before a bill of lading is even issued and the goods even make it on the boat.
It's somewhat incompetent or inconsiderate really. They've rolled the dice without testing, and/or decided to proceed in the absence of said testing being available, and/or haven't adequately sampled and tested locally upon arrival, and/or specified less than optimal components, and/or failed to educate vendors how to QC adequately, etc, etc.

I wonder if the level of warranty costs factored into their original costings are somewhat lower than what seems to be happening, and whether the margin they are getting is enough to adequately live with it.

Someone on here has a saying in their signature along the lines of good tools costing money and cheap tools costing much more.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear you had these issues. Your TSC manager could have just got it fixed it for you. Pretty cool he took it back.

Do you have any theories about if it is the design, bad material or how you were operating it that made the teeth get rounded/broken?

For example, I guess the broken tooth in the middle would have failed in the midst of a split. So was that just a real hard piece of wood and the lever wasn't sensitive enough to release? As you split the hard stuff, did the mechanism ever release itself or would it just strain until you pulled the lever back yourself?

Did you hear a lot of grinding when you pulled the handle? Did you often run the engine at full throttle?

Hope you have better luck with your next machine.

I don't think it's the design, other than you really have to push down on the engaging lever to keep it started. I think that the steel on the rack may not be hardened enough or it needs to be made out of a different alloy.

The piece on which the tooth actually sheared off on was knot free and the next log that I put on is when it wouldn't split. Where the tooth sheared off at in relation to the log is just where the rack would've started to push the log into the wedge. The rack came out, touched the log and then wouldn't disengage automatically because the pinion wasn't actually engaging the rack. There was grinding at that point, but the tooth was already gone.

As far as the machine being repaired, that's great as long as the warranty lasts. However, I plan on having a splitter far longer than the warranty period so it needs to not be breaking major components. And, down time for me in firewood season can cost me more in a couple days than the cost of the machine. That is not an option.

I'll most likely end up with a Super Split. I know 2 guys with them and they're happy as can be. One has had his machine for 20+ years and it's still going strong. And most everyone on here holds the same opinion on their machines. I am, however, tossing the idea around of hooking up a 3 point style splitter to my skid loader and seeing what sort of cycle/production times come from it. I have a fairly large machine with high flow hydraulics and should turn out some pretty fast numbers.

I have a fairly large machine with high flow hydraulics and should turn out some pretty fast numbers.

I'm thinking that would turn out some pretty fast numbers in fuel consumption too, compared to a Super Split.

Let's throw out 2 numbers I'm not positive on but I think are in the ballpark -- 2 gallons/ 8 hour day for the Super Split, 12 gallons / 8 hour day for a Bobcat in "light" work.

1-1/2 cords per hour, 150 cords per year...I'm coming up with an extra $656/year for the Bobcat setup.

Assuming $800 for a three point splitter and $2800 for the Super Splitter, that's less then four year payback.

I think the 3 points are great for folks who have modest annual splitting needs and don't want to have to worry about another motor to maintain. I just doubt there the right solution for high-production operations.

Besides, you'll need the skid steer to pile up the volume of wood coming off the Super Split ;)

I don't think it's the design, other than you really have to push down on the engaging lever to keep it started. I think that the steel on the rack may not be hardened enough or it needs to be made out of a different alloy.

The piece on which the tooth actually sheared off on was knot free and the next log that I put on is when it wouldn't split. Where the tooth sheared off at in relation to the log is just where the rack would've started to push the log into the wedge. The rack came out, touched the log and then wouldn't disengage automatically because the pinion wasn't actually engaging the rack. There was grinding at that point, but the tooth was already gone.

As far as the machine being repaired, that's great as long as the warranty lasts. However, I plan on having a splitter far longer than the warranty period so it needs to not be breaking major components. And, down time for me in firewood season can cost me more in a couple days than the cost of the machine. That is not an option.

Tnttreeman,
Still curious as to whether your speedpro, when it came up against a round that it wouldn't split, would it stop splitting and return, or would it stall and hold there until you released it?? I mean under normal use, not just when it broke. I'm also curious at what throttle setting you used...did you use full wide open throttle all the time??? Partial throttle???
Not saying you were doing anything wrong, just curious for reference to future use of my own. If there's issues that can be prevented I'd like to know. I'd be very greatful for your insight, as return is probly not an option for me. I do sell some firewood but not for a living. I burn 3-4 cord/yr. and sell maybe 8-10 cord. That's a hobbyist compared to a lot of you.

With the un-towability of the SS, and it's knock off the DR, and my lack of funds ($1k diff +/-), I chose the speedpro kinetic over a hydro unit. I've read about break down issues with new hydro units too, and not just speeco either. So I was darned if I do, darned if I don't. So far it sounds to me like speeco and tsc are taking care of there issues though. Glad to hear that anyway. Curious to how many speedpro's tsc has sold compared to how many are having issues.

Oh yeah, and fyi to all...
We're all guilty of buying equipment that either wasn't made, or parts there of weren't made, in the USA. Some things are made overseas then shipped to US and assembled. (where was your favorite saw,truck,tractor,etc., made??). I don't like it either, but it's the world we live in. Go to walmart and find twenty things that are made in the USA. Hard to do..

Sorry, just trying to climb out from under the bus...lol

Last edited:
Tnttreeman,
. Curious to how many speedpro's tsc has sold compared to how many are having issues.

Sorry, just trying to climb out from under the bus...lol

DozerMan,

I've thought the same as to the number sold by TSC. TSC has 1,054 stores in operating in the USA. Each store is supposed to receive two Speedpro's. That's a lot of machines. We'll have to see what happens on the rack and pinion and durability issues.

My machine is holding up fine but it's not getting daily use either. I have a large lot of oak coming up with in the month so that will be a good test.

DozerMan,

I've thought the same as to the number sold by TSC. TSC has 1,054 stores in operating in the USA. Each store is supposed to receive two Speedpro's.

There may be more than that unless some stores aren't getting any because I saw 5 of these splitters at a TSC here, one display model and four addtional units in crates.

And for the record, I know of TWO Super Splits here locally with teeth missing off the rack, and / or pinion. Not saying they aren't better......but they do suffer from failures also.

There may be more than that unless some stores aren't getting any because I saw 5 of these splitters at a TSC here, one display model and four addtional units in crates.

I know there are some stores that are not getting their 2 splitter allotment, as I went to one, and everyone in their district was to get them but them.

And for the record, I know of TWO Super Splits here locally with teeth missing off the rack, and / or pinion. Not saying they aren't better......but they do suffer from failures also.

Bet they have a few more hours on them than the troubled speedpros. :msp_wink:

Latest posts

Back