New SpeedPro Kinetic Log Splitter from TSC...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're not sorry...

First off, I am so sorry for those who are having the issues they are with this machine.
None of us wish ill will to fellow "wood workers". I know some need to split for a living
and this is not fun. I also know there are many without the slightly deeper pockets needed
for a RapidFire or a SuperSplit. I don't know how to answer that issue. I just feel bad for ya.
Now:
25 cords.....splitting for late seaon and next year..home heating only. 25 cords not a hic-cup.
This was done Sunday after Bill/jets 1/2 time. Worked until dark. Maybe 3+ cords.
Second pic is a big knot I went through. Had to hit it three times. Thats like 8 seconds.

I hope those who are having issues get satisfactory results.

I'm pretty sure you like coming over to this thread cuz it makes you feel better about yourself!! I believe what you are doing is called...hmmm let me think....could it be........bragging??

Fyi... If I or anybody else wants to read about the DR, we will go to the thread about the rapidfire (supersplit copy).

A grand is not a small difference (35%+/-). Do I need to do the math for you...again?

And nobody asked for nor wants your sympathy. In fact, I kinda resent it..."slightly deaper pockets"...it's a little condescending don't ya think? At least to us "poor folk" anyways.

And btw, your pile looks like more like 1/2 to 2/3 of a cord. Def not "3 cord". You do know that a cord is 128cu.ft., right?

No offense...

Last edited:
Sincere

Hey, You aren't the only poster here. Pretty touchy there aren't ya.
I won't go into the posts that compared one to the other. I guess ya got a selective memory.
I believe in several things. Number One is Jesus is my savior. Number two: I don't lie because of number one.
I do feel bad for you guys. If it was a matter of one week, earlier, when I discovered TSC was selling
kenetic splitters, I would have bought one. Yes I had the dollars for a RapidFire but I raided my retirement funds for it.
I too would have liked spending less. Now, well hindsight, just saying.
AND if anyone out there is looking to buy one of the major three Kenetics out there and I can help him make a decision that works in his
favor. Then good. I am more than happy to post here, in Russia or Haiti so that it helps him.
OK?

I'm pretty sure you like coming over to this thread cuz it makes you feel better about yourself!! I believe what you are doing is called...hmmm let me think....could it be........bragging??

Fyi... If I or anybody else wants to read about the DR, we will go to the thread about the rapidfire (supersplit copy).

A grand is not a small difference (35%+/-). Do I need to do the math for you...again?

And nobody asked for nor wants your sympathy. In fact, I kinda resent it..."slightly deaper pockets"...it's a little condescending don't ya think? At least to us "poor folk" anyways.

And btw, your pile looks like more like 1/2 to 2/3 of a cord. Def not "3 cord". You do know that a cord is 128cu.ft., right?

No offense...

I certainly didn't think I called anyone a liar. I know I didn't mean to.
My apologies if I offended anyone.

I know when I made my decision on which splitter to purchase, I went to the rapidfire page to find info on the dr. I went to the speedpro page for the speedpro. And Supersplit pages for ss.

Thanks Tfpace...

No I'm not happy with the situation with the speedpro, but it is what it is. I still think it is a great machine and have zero problems with mine. I'm still certain that speeco will resolve the issue soon. Christmas shopping season is here and I'm sure they know that they are missing sales. Hopefully it's some incentive for a speedy resolution.

I was buying chainsaws after getting CAD. Lately, I have had a taste for guns. After just refurbing my Huskee, I don't need to see all of these new kinetic splitters coming on the market. I don't need one. I don't need one. I don't need one. Repeat after me.:bang:

Since joining AS I"ve gotten 5 chainsaws and 2 guns. Please God don't let me get the new SpeedPro Kinetic log Splitter.!

And btw, <font color="red">your pile looks like more like 1/2 to 2/3 of a cord.</font> Def not "3 cord". You do know that a cord is 128cu.ft., right?

No offense...

All day long....:popcorn:

Chin-up Dozer. I'd have (and nearly did) do the same.

$1000 is plenty enough for some to feel they need to justify that premium they paid by looking down upon the TSC product and by extension, the purchasers or at the very least their buying decision. The implication is that a perfectly good product can't be bought by saving $1000 on the TSC option. Bollix to that. TSC buyers paid perfectly good money and have a right to a perfectly good machine. I read somewhere it's something like one in seven working age Americans are out of work. For many, $10 makes a difference in this day and age, let alone $100 or $1000. It's a great pity too many can't appreciate that, until the rug is pulled out from under them too and they are fighting to keep a roof over their kid's heads, food on the table and the parasitic/financial wolves from the door.

Kinetic vs. Hydraulic

My choices...
Speeco 28 ton hydro vert./horiz. splitter.....$1495.00
Speeco 35 ton hydro vert./horiz. splitter.....$1899.00
Speeco SpeedPro Kinetic splitter...............$1699.00

Other than some troybuild Lowes stuff, and a couple MTD knockoffs, these splitters were my only local options. I had been planning on buying a vert/horiz splitter since last winter. I don't split enough wood to justify a processor, or an SS for that matter. A SuperSplit is a want not a need for me. I've been wanting an SS since the first time I saw a video of it on youtube (about 3 yrs. ago).

As my SpeedPro is still splitting fine, I have no regrets with my decision. If there are problems to come with this machine, I will deal with them. At the speed I can split now, vs. with a hydro unit, it's worth any headache to come.

Once again, I got a kinetic flywheel splitter for the price I was going to spend on a vert/horiz hydro. Buying a DR or an SS was never a consideration for me (not being towable was another big issue for me also).

Nysparkie,
I regret my comments to you. I was inferring that you weren't sincere, and I apologize for that. It's not wrong for you to be proud of your new splitter. I just don't understand your need to brag about it in the "SpeedPro" thread. If someone asks for info on the DR, we would direct them to the "Rapidfire" thread. Isn't that where one would get the most info about the dr? I know that's where I went for info about it. If someone in the rapidfire thread asked for info on the speedpro where would you send them? Hopefully over here to the speedpro bashing thread. LOL
And btw... Please keep your condescending comments to yourself. ie... "I also know there are many without the slightly deeper pockets needed for a RapidFire or a SuperSplit. I don't know how to answer that issue. I just feel bad for ya."
I don't need your pitty. I'm doing just fine.

Last edited:
Flying Wood!!!

Jesus is my Lord too!! Now that being said for myself.​

WATCH OUT!! for wood kickbacks to the groin area, you could wind up with Peyronie's Disease. (google it) I was not aware of this problem, as it's never talked about!!!! And I am in the medical field!!! Believe me, no man wants to develop this, and it happened to me. So please be careful of "anything" flying to the groin area. That being said:

I have been using my brothers SpeedPro for the last week and I must say, what a splitter. Puts my 35 ton hydraulic to shame. He took the safety button off and reversed the handle. The reversed handle makes the rack and pinion engagement smoother, as it's a more direct push, I think?

The rackhead is sticking to the base near the knife head as the rackhead developed a slight bow, so that will have to be replaced. I have to smack the ramhead back to unstick it with the next piece of wood. I hear the problems with this machine, but I think when the bugs are cleaned up, it will be just as good or better than others. One of the main reasons for getting this model, is that, it's not top heavy and can be towed with no problem. Just bungee cord the handle down as it bounces up and down when rolling.

That's my 2 cents.

Rack Issues

With all the talk about the rack issues on the SpeedPro, I wonder if people are lubricating the rack and pinion gears on their machines? I don't recall reading anything about lubricating them in the owner's manual, but any gear needs some type of lubrication. The first thing I did after assembling and before using my SpeedPro was lubricate EVERYTHING...including greasing the rack and pinion gears. I'm just wondering if part of the problem with the gears may be that owners may be running them dry???

That is a good point, lubeing the rack. I will do that tommarow. I emailed SpeedCo. Yesterday and registered mine for the warranty. They replied that they were having intermintent problems with the racks but new ones were coming. They told me that I should continue to split wood with mine if I have not had any problems, but if I did they would make it right. (don't really know what that means) Spoke to the manager at my local TSC and he told me the other splitter they had got in was recalled by SpeedCo. He didn't know much more. I told him the only problem I had was in the handle engagement rod. If anyone is haveing the same problems I have now bent a 1/2 inch rod. I changed mine out from the factory 3/8 to 1/2. The 1/2 bent. I pulled it out, straightened it and heat treated it hard. Either it will hold or snap, we'll find out.

No lubricate

With all the talk about the rack issues on the SpeedPro, I wonder if people are lubricating the rack and pinion gears on their machines? I don't recall reading anything about lubricating them in the owner's manual, but any gear needs some type of lubrication. The first thing I did after assembling and before using my SpeedPro was lubricate EVERYTHING...including greasing the rack and pinion gears. I'm just wondering if part of the problem with the gears may be that owners may be running them dry???
Hi lubrication will hold the trash to the gears. SpeedPro is not the one with the recall. SpeedCo from TS is. I have a SpeedPro on order. Have you used youres, hope it workes good fore you.

Hi lubrication will hold the trash to the gears. SpeedPro is not the one with the recall. SpeedCo from TS is. I have a SpeedPro on order. Have you used youres, hope it workes good fore you.
ehhh.. what?

Speeco makes the SpeedPro.

The SS rack get a tablespoon of axle grease applied to it periodically. No trash sticks to it at all. I would certainly not run one dry regardless of the manufacturer.

I had one of the original SS splitters here for 5 years. Belonged to a friend. I would grease the rack and pinion gears every week or so when I was using it. GREAT POINT!!! It's still splitting wood!

I dont own one nor do i plan to, but ive seen them operate and from my understanding there like shifting gears on a manual transmission without using a clutch. That said i dont see how any amount of lube is going to help the inevitable...also if a supersplit costs 3grand and a copy is made and sold for less than 2grand wouldnt you question the durability and quality a bit? after all you get what you pay for...and sometimes you dont even get that.

This is just another product that was rushed right past quality control and to the salesfloor.

I dont own one nor do i plan to, but ive seen them operate and from my understanding there like shifting gears on a manual transmission without using a clutch. That said i dont see how any amount of lube is going to help the inevitable...also if a supersplit costs 3grand and a copy is made and sold for less than 2grand wouldnt you question the durability and quality a bit? after all you get what you pay for...and sometimes you dont even get that.

This is just another product that was rushed right past quality control and to the salesfloor.

As stated in a previous post, I never expected to get the highest quality mechanical splitter out there when I purchased the SpeedPro, and I based that assumption on the considerably lower price. However, I did expect to get a fair quality machine which, if taken care of properly, would give me a number of years of service. I'm the type of person who will purposely purchase a notch or two below "top-of-the-line" products, take really good care of it (as I do all of my tools & machinery), and end up getting just as much, if not more, service life out of my machine as one of the "top-of-the-line" machines. Concerning lubrication...try running your manual transmission dry and see how long it lasts! To me, lubricating high friction metal-to-metal surfaces is common sense! I'm not saying it will prevent teeth from shearing off of an improperly heat-treated rack gear, but it will certainly make the gears engage a lot smoother, thus reduce friction and metal loss, which could ultimately lead to sheared teeth.

Latest posts

Back