New SpeedPro Kinetic Log Splitter from TSC...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
we put a little less than 5 hours the machine today with 2 guys, cutting and splitting, made a pretty good dent in our stock pile, only to have another 3 cords dropped off in 12' lengths. guess we get to do it all over again tomorrow. View attachment 215217

215217d1325722457-imag1090-jpg

Nice Pile

we put a little less than 5 hours the machine today with 2 guys, cutting and splitting, made a pretty good dent in our stock pile, only to have another 3 cords dropped off in 12' lengths. guess we get to do it all over again tomorrow.

Nice pile-o-wood!! Did you use a conveyor or did y'all throw all that into that nice neat pile?

Nice pile-o-wood!! Did you use a conveyor or did y'all throw all that into that nice neat pile?

we just let it fly off the machine, and we keep pulling the machine back, I then piled it up with the little tractor. the splittler will make a row about 4' high and 6' wide before it starts jamming up and you need to move it back. we really need a conveyor, badly. i'm supposed to get my big tractor back from the shop tomorrow, we'll load it in the dump and move it over to the big pile of wood for seasoning.

Nice

we just let it fly off the machine, and we keep pulling the machine back, I then piled it up with the little tractor. the splittler will make a row about 4' high and 6' wide before it starts jamming up and you need to move it back. we really need a conveyor, badly. i'm supposed to get my big tractor back from the shop tomorrow, we'll load it in the dump and move it over to the big pile of wood for seasoning.

Ya I know the need for a conveyor. I've been watching CL for the last few months, looking for a good old corn elevator/conveyor(dual steel chain w/steel paddles). Most are either electric or pto driven but either would be easy to convert to a small gas engine. Found nothing but overpriced junk so far. I'll find one eventually.

Last edited:
looks like we'll be greasing the rack every 5 hours or so. yesterday the guys split for about a half hour after finishing their other jobs for the day and it was noticeably harder to engage, not a crisp, clean engagement like it was right after I greased it. now I just need to see about the best way to get grease up in there. it was really easy to do while I had the rack out and upside down.

Greased rack

looks like we'll be greasing the rack every 5 hours or so. yesterday the guys split for about a half hour after finishing their other jobs for the day and it was noticeably harder to engage, not a crisp, clean engagement like it was right after I greased it. now I just need to see about the best way to get grease up in there. it was really easy to do while I had the rack out and upside down.

Hey BSD, approx how many cord will you and your guys split in 5 hr.?? I've mostly run production by myself and was curious if I need to hire a flunky or two. And for greasing the rack, can you pull the rack out and just use a lincoln cordless grease gun ? Or will I have to pull the side cover off too? Just curious, I'll grease it up today as soon as we finish putting waterpump in my old mans duramax (major PITA).

Last edited:

BSD,
I simply pull the rack out by the push plate almost to full extension, then push the handle down to engage the rack with the pinion, and in turn hold the rack in the extended position. Then, I get my grease gun, squirt some grease on my finger, then lightly smear it up and down the teeth on the rack as evenly as I can, and as much as I can easliy reach (which is most of it). I figure the grease will quickly get to all the teeth on the rack and pinion after a few cycles, as the pinion gear will eventually carry grease to each tooth on the rack that I may have missed. I also smear a very light amount of grease on the sides of the rack, as they rub on the half-round guides (under the hood) as the rack cycles forward.

Food for thought...

Hey BSD, approx how many cord will you and your guys split in 5 hr.?? I've mostly run production by myself and was curious if I need to hire a flunky or two. And for greasing the rack, can you pull the rack out and just use a lincoln cordless grease gun ? Or will I have to pull the side cover off too? Just curious, I'll grease it up today as soon as we finish putting waterpump in my old mans duramax (major PITA).

we've never really made a solid push on the wood with everyone at the same time. it's usually me working by myself or two guys down there cutting and splitting. like that pile I posted the other day, less than 5 hours were put on the machine, one guy was there the whole time,the other for about two hours, then i split for an hour or so at the end of the day with one of them. I will say this though, if you want maximum production from log length to splits you need 3 guys. one guy cutting and two guys working the splitter. i believe we could do about 1 cord per hour in that fashion without killing anyone in the process. we've got about 20 cords run through this splitter now with about 36 hours on the machine. about 3/4 of the pile has been split with only one person working the splitter, the rest we've had two guys working tandem on it.

phil, i greased the rack with a putty knife when it was out of the splitter and i think i'll try it again now that its back in. i wasn't sure if the cradle would be in the way of the rack with it extended. i looked this morning after i posted and it seems like i could probably get a good amount of grease up there again with the putty knife

Update...er...corredtion

Correction on the pinion shaft size...looks more like 1.5" O.D. I didn't realize there were collars between the bearings and flywheels, oops. That puts it right with the SS pinion shaft size.

I greased everything up today, those main bearings were pretty dry too. As BSD suggested, I checked the brass wear plate on the ram for looseness. I used a screwdriver at first just to see if it would move, and it did. Very little, but enough for me to pull the ram and check. Sure enough, quarter to half round on each screw to tighten them up. I just tightened them for now. But before I use it again I will pull the little screws out and put some formagasket on the threads. That should hold them while still letting me get them out years down the road...well hopefully. Btw...thanks for the heads up BSD, sorry you learned it the hard way. And I have to agree, greasing the rack does make things smoother.

If any of the DR guys are still reading this thread, I would really appreciate it if one of you could give me the diameter of your drive pulley that is attached to your clutch. Just a simple cross measurement of the drive pulley, nothing fancy, thanks.

Any of you Speedpro guys heard anything new lately??

ps...can't edit title...that sucks

Last edited:
C

Any of you Speedpro guys heard anything new lately??

I have not heard anything. I would guess most people registered their machine online. With that said the least Speeco could do is email an update to the owners of this machine.

I got this response a couple of days ago.

Shaun Stinnett [email protected]

Jan 5 (3 days ago)

to me
Steve,

These are sold exclusively through Tractor Supply( Tractor Supply Company - Home). They should be available again sometime in February.

Regards,

Shaun Stinnett
Customer Service Representative
303-279-5544 (Main)
800-525-8322 (x1147)
303-278-3432 (Fax)
[email protected]
SpeeCo Inc. Farming accessories and tools, log splitters, post hole diggers and custom manufacturing.

SpeeCo Engineering told me "we have not completed our validation tests yet." However, according to what they told me the previous time I talked to them, we should have heard something from them by now. Who knows???

Correction on the pinion shaft size...looks more like 1.5" O.D. I didn't realize there were collars between the bearings and flywheels, oops. That puts it right with the SS pinion shaft size.

If any of the DR guys are still reading this thread, I would really appreciate it if one of you could give me the diameter of your drive pulley that is attached to your clutch. Just a simple cross measurement of the drive pulley, nothing fancy, thanks.
From the 'horse's mouth' in your other thead.
Dozer,

Here are the dimensions you are looking for:

Clutch is 1.75"
flywheel is 18.25"

DR Power

Save me from digging bagk through ... what were your clutch and wheel dimensions?

Thank you

From the 'horse's mouth' in your other thead.

Save me from digging bagk through ... what were your clutch and wheel dimensions?

Have to say... I'm impressed. Not only with the quick response, but also with whom it's from !!!

Thanks

speedpro dimensions;
flywheels-18.625" O.D. (17.375" @ inside belt groove...approx...belts runs at bottom of grooves)
clutch pulley-3.625"O.D. (3" @ inside belt groove...approx...belts do not run close to bottom of grooves)
pinion shaft-1.5" O.D. (approx. with teeth cut in from there)

These measurements are close, but not exact by any means. I used a tape measure and eye ball, not calipers or other precise tools.

Best guess @ flywheel speeds with motor @ 3850rpm (with info recieved from this and other threads)...
Speedpro...665 rpm (probly most accurate since I used my own machine for dimensions)
DR...370 rpm (not sure how deep belts run in grooves)
SS "J" model...220 rpm (dimensions given from a friend were used to calculate)

Last edited:
Hey Dozer Man, Any chance in your paperwork you have a parts list breakdown. I'm interested in getting a Speedpro clutch part number and so I can get one for my Supersplit. That way I could run the engine half speed. I'm even thinking of using a diesel engine so I would have great torque and fuel consumption at half speed. I really not all that concerned about slowing down the forward motion to gain torque. I feel the most important time savings is on the lightning fast return stroke.

Have to say... I'm impressed. Not only with the quick response, but also with whom it's from !!!

Thanks

speedpro dimensions;
flywheels-18.625" O.D. (17.375" @ inside belt groove...approx...belts runs at bottom of grooves)
clutch pulley-3.625"O.D. (3" @ inside belt groove...approx...belts do not run close to bottom of grooves)
pinion shaft-1.5" O.D. (approx. with teeth cut in from there)

These measurements are close, but not exact by any means. I used a tape measure and eye ball, not calipers or other precise tools.

Best guess @ flywheel speeds with motor @ 3850rpm (with info recieved from this and other threads)...
Speedpro...665 rpm (probly most accurate since I used my own machine for dimensions)
DR...370 rpm (not sure how deep belts run in grooves)
SS "J" model...220 rpm (dimensions given from a friend were used to calculate)

Hey Dozer Man, Any chance in your paperwork you have a parts list breakdown. I'm interested in getting a Speedpro clutch part number and so I can get one for my Supersplit. That way I could run the engine half speed. I'm even thinking of using a diesel engine so I would have great torque and fuel consumption at half speed. I really not all that concerned about slowing down the forward motion to gain torque. I feel the most important time savings is on the lightning fast return stroke.

Sorry, I will have to do some research on the part # for the clutch. I'll dig out the manuals tomorrow at the shop. I'm sure speeco would probly sell it to you though.

I definately don't mind not running at full throttle. Actually, that's why I'm being picky about the pulley size. I really don't want to have to run at full throttle. If I could get a pulley in the 2" range (measured from inside of belts), that would give a flywheel speed around 350rpm with 3000rpm engine speed. That would give options to speed it up, or to slow it down. The DR clutch might be the best option though. With the speedpro running a little smaller flywheel, that actually speeds up the flywheel speed. So, in essence, the speedpro would still have a faster flywheel speed at any engine setting.
As it is now, I can't slow the engine down any slower and keep the clutch engaged (engine rpm 2600 = flywheel rpm 470).
Hopefully they will get the parts out and get these things up for sale again. Then you can go test drive one. I don't think you would be disappointed in the return speed of the ram if fast return is what you are looking for. The ram always bounces off the stops at least once after each stroke. A test drive might also make you carefull of how much you increase your flywheel speed. I was actually surprised at how slow the SS was flywheel speed is. But the numbers don't lie, 1" pulley with an 18.25" flywheel at 3850rpm actually only charts out to a little over 210 flywheel rpm. I wouldn't have believed the pulley size if I hadn't seen the picture with a tape measure beside the pulley (measuring where the inside of the belt runs). I won't argue with Paul @ SS though!! I'll leave that to the man wanting to put a diesel on his SS!!! I want to see that video!!

After thought...wonder what rpm a small diesel engine needs to run? Most diesels don't wind up near what there gas counterparts do. I don't know about the little diesel engines. Hate to see the there price tag!

Last edited:
I talked with Paul at SS yesterday and he said thats exactly whats happening, no shortage of orders SS!

Holy Cow!

Website is giving me a price of $1699 for the Speedco.

Whose been using this forum for market research? :D

I suspect this will all actually be good for SuperSplit -- between TSC & DR that exposes a lot more people to flywheel log splitters who've never heard of them before. Might lose a few sales from it, but a rising tide lifts all boats and I'd bet the original company will benefit if this style becomes more popular overall.

Dozer Man have checked out my thread on new 4-way wedge for my SS? http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/189977.htm

On the diesel I'm considering best fuel economy is around 2750rpm and near max torque. I really don't care how fast the flywheel spins, its about the pinion speed. My extra flywheel spins at 1000rpm if I remember correctly. $600 engine.

If you happen to have the clutch number handy cool, if not I'll just call Speeco or google it.

Sorry, I will have to do some research on the part # for the clutch. I'll dig out the manuals tomorrow at the shop. I'm sure speeco would probly sell it to you though.

I definately don't mind not running at full throttle. Actually, that's why I'm being picky about the pulley size. I really don't want to have to run at full throttle. If I could get a pulley in the 2" range (measured from inside of belts), that would give a flywheel speed around 350rpm with 3000rpm engine speed. That would give options to speed it up, or to slow it down. The DR clutch might be the best option though. With the speedpro running a little smaller flywheel, that actually speeds up the flywheel speed. So, in essence, the speedpro would still have a faster flywheel speed at any engine setting.
As it is now, I can't slow the engine down any slower and keep the clutch engaged (engine rpm 2600 = flywheel rpm 470).
Hopefully they will get the parts out and get these things up for sale again. Then you can go test drive one. I don't think you would be disappointed in the return speed of the ram if fast return is what you are looking for. The ram always bounces off the stops at least once after each stroke. A test drive might also make you carefull of how much you increase your flywheel speed. I was actually surprised at how slow the SS was flywheel speed is. But the numbers don't lie, 1" pulley with an 18.25" flywheel at 3850rpm actually only charts out to a little over 210 flywheel rpm. I wouldn't have believed the pulley size if I hadn't seen the picture with a tape measure beside the pulley (measuring where the inside of the belt runs). I won't argue with Paul @ SS though!! I'll leave that to the man wanting to put a diesel on his SS!!! I want to see that video!!

After thought...wonder what rpm a small diesel engine needs to run? Most diesels don't wind up near what there gas counterparts do. I don't know about the little diesel engines. Hate to see the there price tag!

Dozer Man have checked out my thread on new 4-way wedge for my SS? http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/189977.htm

On the diesel I'm considering best fuel economy is around 2750rpm and near max torque. I really don't care how fast the flywheel spins, its about the pinion speed. My extra flywheel spins at 1000rpm if I remember correctly. $600 engine.

If you happen to have the clutch number handy cool, if not I'll just call Speeco or google it.

Hey CUCV

Four way looks productive, and very cool!!! I wonder if the speedpro H-beam is heavy enough to keep it from bending. I suppose someone could truss the under side of the beam(somehow) for extra support. (1/2" plate cut 2-3" tall, running vertical along the bottom of the H-beam?? First though anyways.)

While I was checking out your video, your ram speed caught my eye. After splitting with my spdpro on Sunday, your ram speed seemed slow (its not slow...spdpro is too fast). So, as bored as I am, I got my stopwatch out...LOL. Your total ram cycle on your SS was around 2.5 seconds (give or take obviously). Then I searched youtube for some speedpro vids. Found the one with the kid taking a video of his dad splitting w/speedpro (the kids naration is kinda funny). I assume he was running wide open, cuz I could hardly time the cycle, but got consistently around one second. That's for total cycle from engagement to complete return on both machines.

Irony; While I looked up the clutch part number, I noticed that the spdpro manual said it had a cycle time of...get this...2.5 seconds.

Here is the Speeco part # for the clutch (according to the owners manual): S40170500
Not sure how your pinion shaft turns without knowing how your mods work. But if it's running between (attached to) the flywheels like on the speedpro, DR, and SS stock, it's turning the same rpm as the flywheels.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back