New SpeedPro Kinetic Log Splitter from TSC...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you interrupt the cycle on these like on a SS? How long is that bronze wear plate supposed to last before it needs to be replaced and how much is it?
you can pull up on the handle and it will kill the cycle.

no idea on cost for the wear plate. it can't be much though, its a pretty simple looking piece in there.

ok, So i got to try it out this morning. I filmed myself in HD for you guys. LOL. I added a tiny-tach recently too, These runs were with the machine @ ~2700rpm. After I watched the video I think I might make a table mod to bolt on in place of the work zone side cradle. I was handling a lot of the pieces with two hands (which means twisting your back or moving)

first video is 4:45 of raw video, I didn't edit anything just right from the camera. afterwords I stacked it up, and I had a pile 33"w, 33" long and 17" average depth. so I split 10.7Cu Ft of wood in less than 5 minutes. 12% of a cord. I also realized as I was stacking it that I split a lot of it down to like 3x3" size, which I normally don't do. I guess I was showing off for the camera. my previous times before handle mods was half a cord in 45 minutes. Looks like my handle mods improved my efficiency by 50%

the second is a shorter clip running another round through with the camera suction cupped to the housing right next to the handle. I did this to try to show how relatively little shake there is with this unit. The camera does pick up some interference from the motor which shows up as left-to-right waves in the picture.

[video=facebook;270623426304685]http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=270623426304685[/video]

[video=facebook;270643606302667]http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=270643606302667[/video]

Great vid BSD, that really showcases the speed of this unit. I will be fabbing up a handle similar in design to what you have done. It looks much more ergonomic for extended splitting sessions!

:clap: sweet mod job and vids...

In the 2nd video at @ 26 seconds in :msp_ohmy: cup check!

yea, thankfully it was hanging to the right then :D

a few have shot off the splitter like that so far. My hydraulic unit has also done similar maneuvers too, one of my guys almost went to the hospital with a nut shot off the hydro machine over the summer. he was seeing stars and making up all sorts of pretty words for about a half hour.

Nice job BSD

Great vids BSD. I looked in my scrap pile and found no box tubing...dangit. Guess I'll have to go to town and buy some. No biggie...

Just reversing the handle is definately better than stock...but your vids show how moving the handle completely is going to be a lot less stressful after a complete day of splitting. The handle being lower gives you a lot more leverage.

After watching your vids, I can see that the log cradle isn't as bad as I was thinking. Your vids gave an outside perspective for me. It's easy to get into a rhythm with the cradle. I do have the steel for making a table, I just need more operating time to figure out how I will tackle the job. I'm thinking of making a folding extension to the operating
side of the excisting table though. It would give someplace to store split halves while ripping the other half of a log....although just keeping a round handy to set halves on works pretty good too.

After seeing your idea with the handle...I can't wait to see what you have in mind for a mod of the cradle/table!!!
Or just do what my old man says...quit messin with it and get to work!! I can't help it, gotta tinker with it!!​

Last edited:
My handle mod

Here's a few pictures of my handle modification.

I can say w/o question that the factory handle needs major improvements. I understand product liability and safety but it the ergonomics of this splitter handle are poor....period.

Anyway, I have a tubing bender in my shop set up to 1" square tube so this is what was used. I recycled the .75" tube and rubber handle. I disabled the safety linkage via two cable ties.

Thanks to BDS and the other folk for all of your input.

Tom

Here's a few pictures of my handle modification.

I can say w/o question that the factory handle needs major improvements. I understand product liability and safety but it the ergonomics of this splitter handle are poor....period.

Anyway, I have a tubing bender in my shop set up to 1" square tube so this is what was used. I recycled the .75" tube and rubber handle. I disabled the safety linkage via two cable ties.

Thanks to BDS and the other folk for all of your input.

Tom

DAMN! TFPace, that looks beautiful! You should send that design to their R&D team, that is EXACTLY how they should have built it from the factory. OK, you guys are inspiration. Gonna give this a try. Can you post up your materials list? Thanks again guys for the great pics.

Don

DAMN! TFPace, that looks beautiful! You should send that design to their R&D team, that is EXACTLY how they should have built it from the factory. OK, you guys are inspiration. Gonna give this a try. Can you post up your materials list? Thanks again guys for the great pics.

Don

I don't think you'll ever see that handle design from a factory. Although it's convenient for the operator, it extends way too far out from the machine, which means it's a safety hazard. The thinking is that if it can easily be triggered by accident (say, bump it with your hip or elbow when turning for a log) and not by a more deliberate action, then it's a safety hazard (read liability).

(Please note that it's not my intention to criticize those who like to modify their equipment. I'm addressing why the designers do what they do.)

Last edited:
I don't think you'll ever see that handle design from a factory. Although it's convenient for the operator, it extends way too far out from the machine, which means it's a safety hazard. The thinking is that if it can easily be triggered by accident (say, bump it with your hip or elbow when turning for a log) and not by a more deliberate action, then it's a safety hazard (read liability).

(Please note that it's not my intention to criticize those who like to modify their equipment. I'm addressing why the designers do what they do.)

True, but one can dream! lol

I went back to my local TSC to see if the 2nd SpeedPro machine they built wobbled as badly as the first I saw. It was much better. I was ready to take it. I really want a kenetic splitter that I can tow. But then... The salesman said they had the original machine setup in front with logs for demoing, so I asked to check it out (I only saw it split boards on my first visit).

He went through some small pieces no problem and then tried a larger round (no knots). It didn't make it through...:msp_confused: retry... retry... and again - nope :censored:. It obviously wasn't giving it a full kick and so he shut it off and opened up the flywheel cover. What he found was that the rod that attaches to the handle to engage the ram was bent a little bit and had shortened its length by about 1/4". This made the system more sensitive to log resistance so it was now disengaging earlier than designed.

I guess it bent either from pushing down too hard, by holding down the handle (not letting it release at the end of a split) or maybe this part is just not as sturdy as it needs to be for long-term use. Whatever the reason, it made me hesitate and hold off on the purchase. I noticed on the SS, that the engagement rod is pulled up, so this part probably would not bend. The DR machine has a lever system with a couple hinges - I'm not sure how well that design will fair.

It was interesting to see "under the hood". One thing I noticed was that the wheels had drill holes on one side, so an attempt was made to balance the wheel in the factory. As I mentioned earlier, this unit was very poorly balanced, so hopefully they are getting better at this procedure with practice.

My handle mod... continued

I have played around with the handle and determined that there were several changes that needed to be made.

The hinge point needs to re-enforced equal to the way Speeco designed theirs...actually stronger in that this handle style exerts a side load that the OE doesn't create.

I also increased the engaging rod by +\- 2". This let my handle remain clear of the cabinet and still provides proper engagement with the rack & pinion. Notice that I shortened the handle by several inches.

The handle needs to remain as close to the cabinet as possible IMO. Keeping the handle as close reduces the side loading/leverage and reduces strain on the hinge point.

There's been some mention of balance issues. I haven't read the owners manual, but I can't imagine running this machine @ full throttle. My machine seems to operate fine.

Material used to make the handle:

1" square x 14 ga. tube
.375" round CR to make the engagement rod

It's fixing to get put to the test.

View attachment 201771View attachment 201772View attachment 201773View attachment 201774

Last edited:
nice job TFPAce, I was also going to bend some steel but went with just angled cuts to try to keep as close to the body of the machine as possible. I also beveled the angle tube for my handle so its at a natural angle for your wrist you could do that to yours to still too. I've split about 3/4 of a cord with my new setup and so far no issues. I've still got another cord or so to split then i start bringing in big quantities of logs for next year to process and that will be the true test.

LogRite makes a ergonomic handle very much like this one on their kenetic rig.

Interesting. I just looked up the Logrite splitter, and I see that handle. I wouldn't have expected it. One thing I also noticed is that logs are fed from across the splitting beam so the operator doesn't have to turn to get new rounds to split. Of course, the operator can get rounds from wherever he wishes.

SpeeCo certainly made their version a very deliberate action with their two-handed ram activation (one on the green button and the other pulling the lever).

Back