New SpeedPro Kinetic Log Splitter from TSC...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well, we spent most of the day putting together a mafia block wall but we still managed to split 2 cords or so. i've switched to greasing the rack and SS plate with FluidFilm, it seems to last longer than axle grease.

This is about 45 minutes of work for two guys working at steady pace. could be nearly double if we had a conveyor.
425934_365829406784086_100000710897990_1195720_180464750_n.jpg

every piece was split on the speedpro.
64304_365829506784076_100000710897990_1195724_116155775_n.jpg

adding some depth to the picture.
426781_365829530117407_100000710897990_1195725_1266648647_n.jpg

Super fast

SpeedPros are incredibly fast machines!!!!

I need to get some FluidFilm too.

Excellent work BSD!

Tom

FluidFilm

BSD,

I see that Grainger stocks this product. Do you buy the aerosol can or brush in can? Greasing the rack is just plain messy but it makes plenty of since. I have just been taking tube grease and filling the rack as best as possible.

My parts are due to be in any day and I am awaiting the big improvements.

Last edited:
BSD,

I see that Grainger stocks this product. Do you buy the aerosol can or brush in can? Greasing the rack is just plain messy but it makes plenty of since. I have just been taking tube grease and filling the rack as best as possible.

My parts are due to be in any day and I am awaiting the big improvements.
i have both aerosol and a 1gallon can of it. i apply it with a 2" paintbrush. i've been using it for years on my plow and sanders to fight salt and it really is one of the best products out there.

I wonder when they are going to start selling them again.

Como, that's a question that I'd hate to answer. I'll give it a try though:msp_biggrin:. Their machine has plenty of potential, I really enjoy my splitter and have had little issues while other A.S. folk have been plagued with major issues. Blount has a lot of capital tied up in this machine and with all this said I expect them to re-enter this market with a machine that has been de-bugged much more thoroughly than the first SpeedPro issue. The portability of this machine is a big seller to most people, it was for me. Couple that with large out-feed table,Kohler engine and you have a decent machine IMO.

Maybe someone with Speeco will chime in here and add/subtract to my viewpoint?:msp_wink:.

Tom

Como, that's a question that I'd hate to answer. I'll give it a try though:msp_biggrin:. Their machine has plenty of potential, I really enjoy my splitter and have had little issues while other A.S. folk have been plagued with major issues. Blount has a lot of capital tied up in this machine and with all this said I expect them to re-enter this market with a machine that has been de-bugged much more thoroughly than the first SpeedPro issue. The portability of this machine is a big seller to most people, it was for me. Couple that with large out-feed table,Kohler engine and you have a decent machine IMO.

Maybe someone with Speeco will chime in here and add/subtract to my viewpoint?:msp_wink:.

Tom
I think you're pretty spot-on. they have too much invested to just drop the line, but i don't see them selling them again until 2013 or later after the replacement parts have been field tested (by us basically).

In the market for good...

If the Speeco Marketing Department has any merit whatsoever, from what they told me @ the first of the year, they are in the kinetic/mechanical splitter business to stay. It wouldn't surprise me, from what I was told, if we see multiple models come fall. But on the other hand...at this point nothing surprises me as I don't get my hopes up any more. As far as I'm concerned, we will have to see how the new parts and repairs go first...then go from there.

This machine has tons of potential and I love using it. It is a joy to use, and I still can't help but smile every time I fire it up and start splitting. And as others point out, the towability is a must for me. I don't want to have to load my splitter onto a trailer just to move it 300 yards up a slight grade.

My $.02 worth. Will have more when repairs are made.

SpeedPros are incredibly fast machines!!!!

I need to get some FluidFilm too.

Excellent work BSD!

Tom

I've always thought that motor cycle chain lube would work good on the racks due to its strong adhesive properties. Is this FluidFilm similar? Also, I've been giving some thought to installing a grease manifold in a easy access place, then run a small diameter grease line (plastic or copper) and nylon brush from it and mount the brush where it's slightly touching the pinion gear. That way the rack could be greased any time without taking anything apart. I have done miter gears and spur gears this way on various equipment, and it works great!

Food for thought...

P.Williamson

Call Speeco Marketing...

I wonder when they are going to start selling them again.

If I were interested in a SpeedPro, I would call and ask Speeco. They might give more insight as to when they intend to re-enter the market with this machine. I would definately wait to see how the repairs have gone to see if any issues are still there.

As for mine, other than needing to replace the bearings under the ram-head, I'm happy with the way it runs now. I just wish they would give me the spare parts for if/when I ever need them. But liability dictates that they have there repair shop do the repairs, so I will just have to be happy with that.

Well I had a chance to take the new and improved speed pro out today and put it through it's paces. Went to the brother-n-laws and he had alot of fresh cut cottonwood. Quickly found out that during the fix process, they nuetered my machine. They had turned the throttle down so far that it would not split very big stuff at all and would just stahl out and have to hit it two or three times. That got real old. I have enough experience with this machine that I had already found it's sweet spot and turned it back up just a tad. Amazing how much difference a couple hundred rpm makes. I was back in action. Split for the rest of the day and no disengagement at all, just slipped the clutch when it hit something to hard. Went home and opened her up. Found that the cam engagement was a little different. They had increased the angle of engagement (basically they moved the cam foreward instead of the stop rod) and again it worked as it should. After using it today, It feels very promising. The lock up feels much more secure. If the rack is treated and can withstand some hits and the cam stays locked up we should be back in business. Time will tell.

Let me know what you guys are experiencing with the update kits. Are they staying locked up during the engagement or still jumping out of gear.

COUNTRY6543,

I am looking forward to seeing how the new and improved machine works out. The shop that will do the improvements has not received the parts yet. I am in hopes that I can take look at whats going on in that I modified the handle and up-graded the engagement rod also. The guys that is their repairman has never seen this type of splitter and this doesn't alarm me as long as he reads and understands English is you know what I mean. ;) I might even see if I can talk them into letting me assist.:hmm3grin2orange: In that most of us have several hours behind the rudder of this machine.

Tom

Fixed and waiting to go!

As of Wednesday my new parts arrived and as of Wednesday my splitter was ready to go. I will be picking it up tomorrow and putting it to the test. I would like to have gotten it Wednesday but I have been working. I did see the new parts before installation and they look almost exactly the same. The new rack did not have that stop that disengaged the old one welded to it and the bearing assembly that lifts the rack was definitely beefier but other than that not too much difference. I just hope that they did not effectively harden the rack beyond what the existing pinion gear can handle. They also made upgrades to the bearing carrier for the engagement but I did not inspect those too well and they also replaced the linkage from the handle to the carrier. I will rough it up tomorrow evening and we will see how it works. I am hoping for the best but still a little nervous.

Thanks

Fox2,

Thanks for the update, it sounds like this R&R project is picking up steam. I'm going to call my shop and see if the stuff is there yet.

Tom

No Problem. I know my shop has several sets of replacement parts and no splitters to put them on. I also know that they to TSC's in store work so I would imagine they are sending the crated units for repair which seems to me like they are going to sell them again. That is all speculation, however. Last I talked to Speeco, the new racks were being stress tested at thousands and thousands of cycles. I don't know what kinds of loads they were under but they seem to be pretty confident in this round as they had a previous round designed and rejected them due to quality control issues (which is funny since the original parts made it through). Everyone who stuck with this splitter and all you onlookers waiting for one, keep your fingers crossed!

Well I dod not have much time to split today but I did run through the last few pieces that the speedpro failed on with the last rack and it flew through them. It cuts now like it did out of the box. It was actually smashing my maple into pieces if it was misaligned rather than bogging it down and disengaging. Here is a pic of one of the cover your nuts and watch it fly pieces.
photobucket-33740-1331329481489.jpg

over the last few days we've put up a solid 10 cord of wood. yesterday we started having engagement issues with my reversed handle. it has been flexing the cover and bottoming out. it was jumping out of gear on almost anything but straight grained stuff. so I cut the rod off and added another 1" to it and re-drilled to give my handle more room for downward travel. today we split some of the nastiest pieces in the pile. it was the stuff we'd been avoiding for the rest of the week. no problems with the handle, extended rod, however we did shear the 3/4" bolt that holds the head on the ram. i'll have to dig through the garage and see if I have a replacement available.

Back