New Stihl 241 or 261?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why not get a 250 or 251 if you want a light saw for cheap? I can't see spending close to $600 for a 241 and then paying someone to port it, however much that might be. Just my opinion, plus i cut Oak often so i sold my 241 and bought a 550xp for my small saw. Now if you have 30 saws and every model stihl and husqvarna on the planet, then yes a 241 is cool, cooler than the husky 543 for sure...my dealer stopped stocking both those saws since they didn't sell. I just bought a 261cm last week, loved it and it sounds great too, all in stock form, cuts fine with 20" bar, for 550 plus tax. I still break out my 041 super once in a while for fun, but the power to weight and instant rev of these newer 50cc saws will spoil you.
Depending on the need a 251 would probably be just fine.
I can't see paying that much either, that's why I let others pay for the saw and the porting, then I get them at the drove them off the lot price ;)
Wait, you sold a 241, bought a 550, and then bought a 261.
I do like the 30 saw plan myself, but I would have kept the 241 in that plan, and skipped the 261 if I had a 550.

You are correct sir. This syndrome can also bring on fit of rage to defend the decision to buy the lesser saw. Saying it's just as good because that's what they have.
No need to defend them if they are built right, sure Brad can post a video or two of some clamshells you would be proud to own:chainsaw:.
I've seen quite a few clamshells cut hundreds of cord without anything other than norma maintenance, that's more cutting than most guys will do in a lifetime. They are a very cost effective way to cut firewood which is one of the main points of cutting firewood, saving a few bucks. I'm not into when guys try to justify buy a pro saw to cut firewood saying it will last longer, most won't wear out a clamshell let alone a pro saw. The reason even some tree services hand their guys a farm ranch saw, it doesn't matter which saw they hand them it will be ruined in a yr max and cutting is a small portion of the time involved in getting the job done.
Now as the OP stated he just likes to buy the best, I have no problem with that, he earned the money and it's his to spend :happy:.
Now what I think is funny is the guys who are in a fit of rage to defend why they bought a pro saw to cut 2 cords a year, very funny:laughing:.
Just say you want to buy it, no need to justify it, maybe that's how their relationship is with their wife so they do the same with us guys:lol:

So, what on earth did they do to add nearly two pounds in weight to the MS250 and at the same time knock 10 ounces off the MS362? Is Stihl going bonkers?
I think the 251cb-e is the new electric start model with the toolless chain adjuster lol, it's probably the easy start and the tooless chain adjuster. Now if you think about it you don't have to carry a scrench so that will help you to be less tired at the end if the day, and will cut down on your cut time since you won't have to be looking for the scrench you dropped in the woods ;).
Here's the specs for the standard version according to Stihl.
Screenshot_20180606-162556.png
If I wasn't making money cutting and I was a Stihl guy that's what I would probably buy as the specs are very close, but since I do I have a ported 241, a stock 201cm rear handle, and a stock 550 as well as various other saws in this range. I also like the feel of the 241 as it is much more refined than a 250/51.i Since I'm more of a husky guy(no jokes about my weight please lol) I'd buy a 450 rancher and would cut for many years trouble free with the easy to clean air filter, they are great saws, the 250 has a great track record as well if cared for.

No need to defend them if they are built right, sure Brad can post a video or two of some clamshells you would be proud to own:chainsaw:.
I've seen quite a few clamshells cut hundreds of cord without anything other than norma maintenance, that's more cutting than most guys will do in a lifetime. They are a very cost effective way to cut firewood which is one of the main points of cutting firewood, saving a few bucks. I'm not into when guys try to justify buy a pro saw to cut firewood saying it will last longer, most won't wear out a clamshell let alone a pro saw. The reason even some tree services hand their guys a farm ranch saw, it doesn't matter which saw they hand them it will be ruined in a yr max and cutting is a small portion of the time involved in getting the job done.
Now as the OP stated he just likes to buy the best, I have no problem with that, he earned the money and it's his to spend :happy:.
Now what I think is funny is the guys who are in a fit of rage to defend why they bought a pro saw to cut 2 cords a year, very funny:laughing:.
Just say you want to buy it, no need to justify it, maybe that's how their relationship is with their wife so they do the same with us guys:lol:

Chippy I think you misunderstood me. I have nothing against the clamshell and I'm not knocking them in the least. I was making a statement regarding the individuals who throw off on Pro saws, say they cost too much etc etc Just because they chose the lesser saw line. If it's what you can afford, there's nothing wrong with that, but don't say the clamshell works just as good as the Pro saws because you're defending your choice. Get it now?

I have a 180 i did everything with. Great little saw, but I wanted more power in that weight range. That's where the 241 entered the picture.

I think the 251cb-e is the new electric start model with the toolless chain adjuster lol, it's probably the easy start and the tooless chain adjuster. Now if you think about it you don't have to carry a scrench so that will help you to be less tired at the end if the day, and will cut down on your cut time since you won't have to be looking for the scrench you dropped in the woods ;).
Here's the specs for the standard version according to Stihl.
View attachment 656413
If I wasn't making money cutting and I was a Stihl guy that's what I would probably buy as the specs are very close, but since I do I have a ported 241, a stock 201cm rear handle, and a stock 550 as well as various other saws in this range. I also like the feel of the 241 as it is much more refined than a 250/51.i Since I'm more of a husky guy(no jokes about my weight please lol) I'd buy a 450 rancher and would cut for many years trouble free with the easy to clean air filter, they are great saws, the 250 has a great track record as well if cared for.
I already obtained an MS251C with the EZ-Start feature and the screnchless chain adjuster. Original buyer died of a sudden heart attack two years ago. It runs nicely now, but he paid Stihl $380 for the saw and another $100 for a worthless tune up when he had trouble starting it. Carb was flooding out too easily and I fixed that after the Stihl dealer flunked the course. In all, he had close to $500 "invested" in the clam shell.

I must admit that whenever I want to run a small firewood saw, I reach for either my 026 PRO, Makita 520i, or Husky 353. So, there are still no scratches on the 251's plastic. I should list it on the Tradin' Post.

Chippy I think you misunderstood me. I have nothing against the clamshell and I'm not knocking them in the least. I was making a statement regarding the individuals who throw off on Pro saws, say they cost too much etc etc Just because they chose the lesser saw line. If it's what you can afford, there's nothing wrong with that, but don't say the clamshell works just as good as the Pro saws because you're defending your choice. Get it now?

I have a 180 i did everything with. Great little saw, but I wanted more power in that weight range. That's where the 241 entered the picture.
Nope, I totally understood you, my statements weren't meant to downplay anything you said, just to add to them. It's funny how guys on both sides want to defend what they are doing and why. There's a reason I have no saws in my signature, because at the end of the day they aren't all that important, it's the people that are :)
I've cut a lot of wood with 450, 455, 460, 029, 029s, 036, 290, 291(jk about the 036, just wanted to make sure everyone was awake) and I can't see any reason not to buy one if you want to save a buck cutting firewood, they're great saws.
I like a nicer saw and would buy and sell a few of the above saws until I could afford to buy a pro saw, cause once you have one you don't want to go back whether it's the most economical thing or not. I believe that most guys cutting firewood who have never run a pro saw would not look any further if they knew how to sharpen a chain well, I've bought a lot of farm ranch saw that the owner said "with a new chain it cuts great", then you look at the stoned chain(and I'm not talking about the type of stoning that makes them cut faster) and are like :eek:.
The 241 was a nice upgrade wasn't it :cheers:.

I already obtained an MS251C with the EZ-Start feature and the screnchless chain adjuster. Original buyer died of a sudden heart attack two years ago. It runs nicely now, but he paid Stihl $380 for the saw and another $100 for a worthless tune up when he had trouble starting it. Carb was flooding out too easily and I fixed that after the Stihl dealer flunked the course. In all, he had close to $500 "invested" in the clam shell.

I must admit that whenever I want to run a small firewood saw, I reach for either my 026 PRO, Makita 520i, or Husky 353. So, there are still no scratches on the 251's plastic. I should list it on the Tradin' Post.
A few years ago I got a never fired 288 that way, bought it off the guys son, it didn't have the ez start feature lol.
Heading out to help a buddy cut a little firewood and I grabbed a standard 365 (I'm planning on selling it so I've been running it a lot lately), a 562 with muffler mod and timing advance, and a muffler modded Makita 4300. The 241 was on the floor right by the 4300, but it was run more recently so I have to give the 4300 a little workout.

The 241 was a nice upgrade wasn't it :cheers:.

You said that right! It was a huge step up. The antivibe is so much better, throttle response is quicker, and I'm a huge fan of the cartridge air filter.

My father in law bought a MS390 in 2005 and when he got it, he thought it was the top saw. He didn't know about the Pro saws until I told him.

By the way, the reason I put the saws in my signature was to show I'm not brand prejudice, and not bias to just the Pros.

Hmmm , the 241

c33L9k5.jpg

WdiiZWg.jpg

l8B0XE7.jpg

9 Tanks , roadway cleared , 2 cord of firewood hauled , polly a cord of sawlogs , another 3 cord of firewood left and a check in hand .

20180422_154030_HDR.jpg

Could I have done that with any of the other 15 saws that I have ? Yes , but on these projects I like to let the work tire me out , not the saw .
Gallons and gallons run through my 241 , hundreds of cords dropped , at least a hundred cord blocked.
Muffler modded , 14" with a 6 pin .
No buyers remorse .

Bingo.

And you dropped from the womb armed and ready to take on the world? Worse than seeking answers is to be too scared to ask questions.
Not saying that at all. Just that I have made many purchasing decisions in my life, and never felt the need to ask a bunch of strangers on an Internet forum to steer me one way or another. My main point being, unless the OP has not logged in, that he has not even been back to take advantage of all of this learned advice.

Back