New Stihl Owner - questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there an online source for RMC chain - or do you have to buy from a dealer?

What is the equivelent Baileys or Oregon chain for 26RMC-67?

- Jason

That would be (Oregon) 22BP-67 micro chisel or 22MLP-67 which is even better performing round chisel for abrasive or dirty wood.

Last edited:
.... You can buy the guide alone for bout 7 bucks.

That adds up, as they are about 14 here.......:censored:

Just a note, they are made in different versions, for different kinds of Oregon chain, and may have to be modded for best results on Stihl chain (different cutter profiles - and recommended top-plate angles).

I called the dealer and asked if he had any 26RMC-67 chain in stock. He said he didn't, and that any RM chain was the reduced kickback chain. He told me that he generally only sold the RS chains - which were the "pro" chains. I told him that according to the website, the RMC was a "yellow" chain, not to be confused with the RMC3 (which I think is the green chain that they sell with most new saws). He argued with me again, so I gave up.

- Jason

That dealer is not very well informed..........:monkey: :monkey:

Sounds like you are close to Charlotte. Try searching for Stihl dealers on their website for the that area and call around.

Thanks everyone for their suggestions. This is the saw I was actually headed off to buy.

link

After my first trip to the Stihl dealer, I went home with a MS210. I ran about a tank of gas through it and realized that it really didn't have much oomph at all - so I took it back (full credit) and traded up for the 270. So far, I've only cut a few logs with the 270 - but it definitely has more power. I debated between the 250 and the 270 for a while, but I figured what the heck.

- Jason

Thanks everyone for their suggestions. This is the saw I was actually headed off to buy.

link

After my first trip to the Stihl dealer, I went home with a MS210. I ran about a tank of gas through it and realized that it really didn't have much oomph at all - so I took it back (full credit) and traded up for the 270. So far, I've only cut a few logs with the 270 - but it definitely has more power. I debated between the 250 and the 270 for a while, but I figured what the heck.

- Jason

You definetly did right with the ms270. One year from now you will probably be trading your ms460 for a new ms 660 because you "just need a little more power". That is the throes of CAD = Chainsaw Aquisition Disease. I started thinking my 026 Pro was all I would ever need for firewood...:monkey: lol

I was in the market for a new saw b/c I was tired of fooling around trying to get my 1:2 Homelite/Craftsman combo to start and was on the way to Sears to buy a new Craftsman saw when my buddy caught wind of what was going on. He pretty much forced me to go to a local Stihl dealer and buy a decent saw- told me I'd thank him later. Well, the $150 I was going to spend quickly turned into $350 - but I did end up with a new MS270 and a couple of chains. The saw was set up on the shelf w/ an 18" bar and the green reduced kickback chain, but I had the dealer change it to a 16" bar because I thought it would be easier to handle. He didn't have the green chains in .325 for this bar, so he put a yellow RSC chain on and gave me a free spare.

I've never sharpened my own chains (never used a saw enough to have to), but I'd like to learn how. Right now, all I have is a Stihl 3/16" file. What do I need to buy to get started? I saw a few online shops linked to this forum (Baileys, etc . . . ) - if there are good tools to be had I would appreciate some links.

Also, I'm going to be cutting some old half-rotted fallen trees up and a few stumps this weekend. Should I get a cheap crap chain to do this with, or just use the new one that came with the saw? The chain I have is .325RSC 67.

thanks,

- Jason

Buy the friend a beer. He just did you a huge favor.

Mark

wife bought me a craftsman ran good but i never could get the tensioner to work right my neighbor is tinkering with it to cut limbs aruond the house with. mine was a big disappointment even before i found out that the 361 was the cure for everything from borebom to cancer:bowdown:

What's next on the list of "must haves"?????

Don't say another saw - that ain't gonna happen until I at least get this one scratched up a little bit.

- Jason

Well after visiting another local dealers, I've determined that RMC chain is hard to come by. I found some on EBAY (thanks for the PM) and ordered a loop for $16 + $5 shipping.

I still haven't picked up any sharpening stuff yet.

- Jason

Well after visiting another local dealers, I've determined that RMC chain is hard to come by. I found some on EBAY (thanks for the PM) and ordered a loop for $16 + $5 shipping.

I still haven't picked up any sharpening stuff yet.

- Jason

RMC is all over around here. Plus a little cheaper than what you paid on Ebay.

Back