New strato saw decision time

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aducomb

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Alright guys, it's time to get a bigger saw. Currently I have a Dolmar 5100s and a Husky 359 etech which the cat muf came off after one week (also getting ready to take the plunge into porting the 359 but that's another thing). 70cc is what I'm looking at for more grunt, saw will be used for firewood as well as dropping NE hardwoods in the 16-32" range and occasionally bigger.

I'm fortunate enough to have 2 Sthil, 2 Husky, and a Dolmar dealer all within 15 minutes from my house. I do however prefer and trust one over the rest, and they deal both Sthil and Husky. I learned through trial and error about what a good dealer is worth. The other Sthil/husky dealer has always rubbed me the wrong way as well as the Dolmar one.

This is where I need your guys help. The 576 xp (standard or AT), 372 xpxt, and the 441 seem to be the choices. Can't get my hands on any 440 or 372 xp, which I got to run for a few hours and was great. I haven't run any of these so I'm looking for some opinions and experiences. Thanks

Never ran a 441 but owned a 576 for a couple months. It is a pretty strong saw from what I ran it. It pulled a 32" b/c pretty good in hardwood for a stock saw. You can still get a 7900 that's not a strato if you're considering dolmar. It will have the most power and probably the cheaper priced.

The ms441 and the 372xt both are nice saws. I have run both and seem pretty equal. The 372xt has a simpler carb-intake set up. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

You can still get a 7900 that's not a strato if you're considering dolmar.

I thought about that quite a bit but I've decided that I want to do buisness with my preferred dealer in the area who sells Sthils and Huskys, which is great because I still have a choice. So for now it's deciding between the Huskys and Sthils.

I have run both and seem pretty equal. The 372xt has a simpler carb-intake set up.

Can you explain a little more about those saws, how did they pull? One spin up faster or have more low end than the other? What about that carb inake?

I think of all the strato saws out there in that class now the 372 xt seems less like a strato saw than the rest.

I like the 576 powerband, it's a good torqy saw that you can lean on. To me a 372 is more of an all around saw that you can limb with pretty easily. With the 576 bucking and felling is comfortable but if you're limbing something out you'll want a smaller saw.

I love my 441 but have heard some really good things about the 372. Hard choice. Don't think you would be disapointed with either.

i understand about dealers, but don't cut off your nose to spite your face.

I know the 7900 is more saw than the 372, 576, and the 441.... buuuut the way I figure it is IF something comes up it's not like I can take it to my preferred sthil/husky dealer and say please fix this saw that I didn't buy from you and that you don't have/get parts for this brand. With the 7900 I'll have to take it to the dolmar dealer which I don't particularly like.

With that being said, buisness is buisness and I'm not going to avoid one of the best tools in it's class b/c I don't like who is selling it. I buy tools for their jobs, but there is something to be said, a big something at that, about having a good relationship with you dealer.

If the 7900 is that much more powerful than the 372, 576, & 441 as alot of people on this site say, and is lighter, cheaper, but more importantly just as rugged and reliable as husky and sthil then I will still keep an open mind and add the 7900 as an option.

my 441 is my favorite saw and I have a few, if I have to cut wood all day it is the one that I take. The one saw shop that I frequent has a few Dolmar-Makita saws laying around for sale but always steers me away from them, he says it has something to do with the bearing going out prematurely and the poor air filtration. He is the only shop that I have been in that works on and sells these saws in so I have to take him at his word. A friend of mine has a husky 372 xp and I have seen that saw save his behind a time or two, he won't listen to me so I try to cut as far away from him as I can and keep a ear out for his saw to make sure he is ok. I have only seen the 576 on the shelf.

I've owned both the Huskys and ran the 441 for a few weeks. The 576 would be my first choice. Smoothest, torqyst, and good all around design. The double barreled intake looks like a pain, but it's not. The intake set up on the 441 is a #####, in terms of the throttle linkage. I liked the 372xt, but had a lot of carb issues.

If you need a new saw right away, check out the 576. If not, wait for a 440. Good luck - Sam

With that being said, buisness is buisness and I'm not going to avoid the best tool in it's class b/c I don't like who is selling it.
If the 7900 is that much more powerful than the 372, 576, & 441 as alot of people on this site say, and is lighter, cheaper, but more importantly just as rugged and reliable as husky and sthil then I will still keep an open mind and add the 7900 as an option.

(i fixed your quote..)

it is absolutely as durable as the other options and is definitely stronger.

i have not heard of bearings being a problem with the 7900's. some (mostly the aussies on this site) have had problems with the filters, but they are cutting trees that are only slightly softer than concrete poles. i have four of these saws and have not had a problem with particles getting by the filter. i do keep an eye on the filter (as i do with every saw) and tap it off as needed.

some trigger time

I was out and about today and got to handle a 441 and a 460 and actually got to run the 372 xpxt and the 576 xp (not AT). I figured it couldn't hurt and I got some input from different dealers.

First the 441
I didn't get to run it so that was a bummer but it didn't feel too bad in the hands though, felt pretty good actually. The insides though were different than what I've seen before and lots of bolts to get all the plastics off, a lot going on in there.

576xp and 372xpxt
Dealer had a log pile out back everything around 16" and cut for a few minutes with each. Honestly, when I walked away I had the 372 on top.

I'll expand on this. Couldn't tell much of a difference in weight but if I had to pick, 372 lighter by a hair. 576 felt better in the hands and cut smoooooth, but the 372 seemed to handle smaller in a good way. 372 for looks but that's at the bottom. Cutting the 372 spanked the 576, normal and heavy handed, actually got the chain on the 576 to stall.*

*Let me clarify that I was told the 372 had a few tanks through it and was close to be broken in. The 576 however was brand spanking new and dry, I watched him fill her up. I'm trying to take it for what it's worth.

All in all a good day

*Let me clarify that I was told the 372 had a few tanks through it and was close to be broken in. The 576 however was brand spanking new and dry, I watched him fill her up. I'm trying to take it for what it's worth.

-The 576 is unimpressive when new, and takes forever to break in, but when they do, they definatly have more grunt than the 372xt.....hope that's helpful - Sam

mtsamloggit - I'm gald you chimmed in, I was following your adventure with the 576 and the 372 in hopes to read some real life input. But it looks like it all worked out in the end. I'm sure it's tough to say but if you didn't have any problems to start with which of the 3 would you choose again?

mtsamloggit - I'm gald you chimmed in, I was following your adventure with the 576 and the 372 in hopes to read some real life input. But it looks like it all worked out in the end. I'm sure it's tough to say but if you didn't have any problems to start with which of the 3 would you choose again?

I would pick the 576, it acted like a bigger saw than it was in the wood. My troubles ended up being due to mismatched case halves on the assembly line....not a normal occurrence. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one - Sam

By the way, go full wrap, they really handle nice. Another bonus of the 576 over the 372, they didn't put the damn chain adjuster directly behind the full wrap. I also really like the fact that the top cover is one solid piece, makes cleaning the cooling fins a breeze. Hope this is helpful.
View attachment 175913

Last edited:
For felling

If you want Husky go with the 576 XP. It's the reincarnation, though lighter and faster spooling, of the 281XP. it has a fantastic power band so when you need to dog in during the back cut and catch up for a clean drop the 576XP will get you there. As others have stated, the 576 has a very long break in period. It seems to take a least a couple gallons thru the saw before it starts to show some improvement, After 5 gallons you'll think it's a completely different saw.

If you can see your way to a Dolmar, the PS7900 is a great felling saw, but doesn't handle as well as the Husky when dressing out the tops.

I really can't comment on the 372 X-Torque. I will say a friend of mine in Maine has a crew cutting pulp. They have been running 3 or 4 of them since October and really like them. Other than the normal replacing of covers and handles no issues, and those saws, depending on weather, run 5 or 6 hours a day 5 to 6 days a week.

No comment on Stihl other than for felling the guys I see with Stihls typically run the MS460 and really like them.

Take Care

Been a little busy lately but I did the rounds to my 3 local dealers. First went to the sthil/husky dealer who I don't like and wound up leaving pissed at myself for even going in. Man I hate that place and that guy! Always so arrogant and talks down on everything you say and every question you ask. http://www.arboristsite.com/images/smilies/angryfire.gif

Moving on now, I then went to the Dolmar dealer which I forgot to say is also a Jonsered dealer as well next. Good news he has a 2171 in stock back news is no 7900. So I have yet to hold one in the hands never mind run one. Lame.

Lastly stopped in the other husky/sthil dealer and talked, looked and handled for 45min about the 372xt 576at 441 and 460. Great service! Long story short he said all the saws are great choices couldn't go wrong with any. But he did keep coming back to the 576, auto tune imparticular. What he said made sense that that saw had all the newest and latest on it and has been out for years now and just hasn't gotten it's place up top because the 372, that is the 372 name, is still around. He also kept using "older but proven vs latest and greatest". Got to say I left kind of leaning towards the 576. I'm all for better filtration, av, and fuel econ. Hell, I don't even hate that I would be breathing less exhaust.

Oh the prices:
7900- $900
2171- $820
576xp- $819
576at- $859
372xt- $829
ms441- $869
ms460- $989

What happened to everyone on here saying about the 7900 being a deal? I must not be part of that area.

Back