New thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
spent the last 4 hours pulling my chipper apart to get vines out of the feed wheels
even cut into 5ft lengths like the book says to they still wrap up in the bearings

found:
vines
baler twine
fence wire
throwline (Zingit I think)
vines were my fault, other 3 were there before I got the chipper

Things are finally starting to slow down. Call volume is lower for sure as it's getting cold now.

Put in a bid for the golf course a half mile down the road from my house. 260 ash, poplar, and maple to remove. Previous winters we've done about 1/3 of that for them and the price will reflect it. Here's to hoping they pull the trigger. Will be a good 2 full weeks of work, weather permitting.

I have a potentially nice 3-4 day township road job to do also. Wont get rich on it but it's nice for a winter gig.

I bid a land clearing job for my neighbor today, sharpened and cleaned saws, dug my old 261c out of storage to see if it still ran, put a square grind 25" bar and chain on it after a muffler mod and very slight timing advance, its cutting great considering the state of the piston, no idea how it still runs but it does
other than that its been a very slow day, made my money for the year, any extra is just a bonus, havent ran an ad in a month and still staying busy

Things are finally starting to slow down. Call volume is lower for sure as it's getting cold now.

Put in a bid for the golf course a half mile down the road from my house. 260 ash, poplar, and maple to remove. Previous winters we've done about 1/3 of that for them and the price will reflect it. Here's to hoping they pull the trigger. Will be a good 2 full weeks of work, weather permitting.

I have a potentially nice 3-4 day township road job to do also. Wont get rich on it but it's nice for a winter gig.
Gotta keep that ball rolling. Good luck on getting the golf course job!

I am changing my mind of the grapplesaw /knuckleboom truck idea and waiting to see where things lead to down the road.

Right now I’m gonna focus on whipping up these current payments over the next year or two and take it from there.

I mean I could always try and go the two crew route again if I wanted. I certainly have enough high end aerial lifts devices and could always pick up another Rammy style chip truck and 18 or 19xpc style chipper to go with it… even another mini giant if it made sense.

I’m not gonna stress so much about it anymore and just see where things lead.

I got a whole hell of a lot of cards left to play anyway I look at it.

I am changing my mind of the grapplesaw /knuckleboom truck idea and waiting to see where things lead to down the road.

Right now I’m gonna focus on whipping up these current payments over the next year or two and take it from there.

I mean I could always try and go the two crew route again if I wanted. I certainly have enough high end aerial lifts devices and could always pick up another Rammy style chip truck and 18 or 19xpc style chipper to go with it… even another mini giant if it made sense.

Why not a stick crane ? $150k can get you a nice 26 - 30 ton crane.

Good deal. I agree with BCK

As awesome as they are, it's hard to justify spending that much money on a grapplesaw crane. You're already doing great. (Although you'd be all the more the envy of this forum with your sweet action shots!)

The two crews thing can be kind of stressful. Do you trust any of your guys on your lifts?

What's funny to me is that sometimes the big money days don't always require the bigger equipment. Sometimes we'll make just as much per day on a no cleanup climbing job as we do when we bring out all the toys.

Here's one example from this week. THAT SAID, a tracked lift would have been a nice way to do it!
1668299923336.png

I’m thinking that I just don’t want that many of these people around me anyway, so probably the two crew thing will never happen (nice to have options though).

The idea of paying all this stuff off and then occasionally taking my time walking down into town, munching some of the best grass and ****ing a couple of the sweetest cows without all that stress sounds like a better deal to me. Lol

The idea of paying all this stuff off and then occasionally taking my time walking down into town, munching some of the best grass and ****ing a couple of the sweetest cows without all that stress sounds like a better deal to me. Lol
You sound like the guy from Luke 12:16

I’m thinking that I just don’t want that many of these people around me anyway, so probably the two crew thing will never happen (nice to have options though).

That sounds about good to me. You will be the fattest cow in CT.

Well we broke the baby giant today.

I guess the set screw came out at some point and we pushed the damn thing to failure. I heard a horrible squeak when raising/lowering the boom. Called MTE and we are working to get a replacement pin asap.

Of course this happend just as we felled a huge willow tree. I have my buddy coming out tomorrow with his kobota excavator kXO-40 to bail us out.

Earlier in the day my brother found a large metal washer with greese on it laying around the job site. I didn't think anything of it." Thought to myself not from my equipment" pay attention to the small details guys and gals!

Attachments

• 20221114_140426.jpg
    20221114_140426.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221114_145429.jpg
    20221114_145429.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Yikes! Will make a mental note to pay attention to washers in grease.

Hope it's able to be fixed quickly
Ya me too, snow coming on Tuesday night 1-3". This whole week is not looking great. Not a fan of salt roads and my equipment running on them.

Also earlier today the lifts basket got out of level so that was 30min of screwing around manually leveling it. I'm glad Monday is over.

I had that happen with the omme this year (working facing up a steep hill). With those you just put the upper boom all the way up with the machine in the travel position and it self levels out again.

Sorry to hear about your mini g!!

Back