New thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gonna go get set up for work tomorrow, got a small land clearing job for the neighbor, had everything packed up for our florida trip, got in town last nigth
tomorrow isnt supposed to hit 40*, cold starts on everything

did a small job for a buddy today after getting a call for an emergency job, got a Braden 10K hydraulic winch as a tip, gonna fab up a mount for the chipper and get some hydraulic lines and a valve for it
supposed to be 38fpm line speed with a full drum at 18gpm, so its gonna be super slow which sucks, however its still gonna be handy
who knows, if it dont work out I will make a frame with an anchor blade and turn it into an attachment for the boxer, for when I really need to break stuff

thinking something like the farmi winch

Bid on a nice penndot job today. ROW trimming for a resurfacing 2.25 miles on each side.

Tough to bid when Fed prev wage rate is now close to $47 per hour. I THINK it would take us 6-7 days but I bid it for 9. 2 buckets with a 5 man crew plus flaggers....Flaggers even make 42 per hour. If you underbid, it can really hurt you.

These penndot jobs are often a shot in the dark since the GC i'm bidding for may not even get the job but it's worth a shot.

Also submitted my bid on 31 tree removals along a township road, which I think I have in the bag. Much less stressful.

been doing this land clearing job, ran into a few snags due to working on small stumps and a steep hillside (20-30 degrees in some spots)
got the boxer stuck, then knocked both tracks off within 4 hours, day 2 clogged the chipper and took 3 hours to un clog, then ripped the curl cylinder apart on the boxer less than 5 minutes after getting the chipper back running
(cylinder was bent before I got the machine), ripping it in 2 may have had something to do with me ripping trees out for 2 days straight lol
only expense was a new cylinder (needed one when I got the machine anyways) and about a gallon of hydraulic fluid, $350 and back to work, also got some barbed wire wrapped around the disk shaft in the chipper, so I gotta go deal with that in a bit 1668869713687.png
1668869393134.png1668869487403.png1668869480236.png1668869410799.png1668869436615.png1668869425000.png

this is why I bought a sticker plotter and cut my own
machine and vinyl cost less that a single door sticker was going to
and I get to pick any color I want, what type of vinyl, etc
only downside is installing them is a ***** sometimes, like my chip box ones, whole side is 3 massive stickers stuck over eachother
im no expert, but for smaller more insignificant stickers I can cut ones for you, wont be free but MUCH cheaper than a sticker shop will charge, so long as you know how to install them (super easy to do on little ones)

would be understandable if you didnt want to buy anything from "pimples" tho lmao

I did the same thing many years ago. My plotter/cutter is still in fine shape, but so old now I can hardly make it work with new computers.
I never came close to wearing it out, and I made truck signs, company shirts, and cool little signs around my shop. Drawback: it takes time to do this kind of stuff. It's a distraction from profitable work.

Despite the labor invested in the company shirts, the iron-on prints for my company shirts were far more durable than any screen printing available. Also much more expensive.

Set out to buy a new headset to replace the one that died Friday and came home with this too. Gonna probably pick up a 25” lite bar Monday. Seems pretty mean so far. Thing screams crane job!

I love my 500i’s. I run a 28” and a 36” on the other. Both light bars. Almost strictly for crane work. I know the 661 has more power but I can suffer through those big cuts in exchange for how much lighter they are. Also I run a skip tooth on the 36” to help with the lower power issue. Enjoy
Don’t ask me why my typing went in with your quote. I’m not the smartest on these fancy computation devises

Touchpad? My thumb hovers over the touchpad on my laptop, and often jumps into odd places on the screen. I've turned down the sensitivity and it still does it. No "touch" required, and it's a brand new computer.

Are you not able to edit your post?

Set out to buy a new headset to replace the one that died Friday and came home with this too. Gonna probably pick up a 25” lite bar Monday. Seems pretty mean so far. Thing screams crane job!
View attachment 1033472

Watch out, you might aquire a ‘favourite saw’.

The 25” light bars are a nice balance on the 500.

View attachment 1033472
late to the party, I already got one, came with a 25" bar, got a 28 as well, im gonna get a sugi 28 for it, bark box, maxflow and west coast saw dogs, probably a wrap handle as well
im still gonna get a 400c as well for a small light saw when im hanging in a tree, used the 500 on all my crane jobs standing on spikes and you know what, for how big of a saw it is, I really dont mind running it in a tree, power to weight is incredible, ymmv, but dont use the decomp till its broke in, learned that the hard way my first time using it from the bucket, pulled on it for like 5 minutes before it even tried to start, pulled the decomp back out and it went on the first pull

what anvil gap and belt tension are you guys running on your chippers?
just flipped my knives and ran the anvil up tight, way tighter than spec and its chipping good for once, tightened the belt up to 1/2" give like spec (I think, its what one shop said in a video lol, I cant find the spec sheet for the life of me, I need to order a manual)

Happy Thanksgiving weekend fellas. Hope all is well with you and yours.

We took first aid/cpr the other day for a pretty slow and easy week. Took the day off today. Tempted to give the guys Monday off for deer season too since there's no school. Then we'll hit it with a vengeance til Christmas.

20221123_090358.jpg

Had a nice spread at the class too
IMG_20221123_075137_01.jpg

Back