New thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got set up for the last trees on the current camp mission. Had to blow the leaves off their motocross trail and dump some chips with mini g to get over some particularly rocky areas with roots sticking up, etc. . Filled in a few major dips in the trail just enough to get us what we needed for access. Rainy now, I think it’s supposed to pour pretty good overnight, so will be good to be set up for tomorrow and just go to work.
View attachment 1038399View attachment 1038398
Cool job. That's quite the ropes course.

my first crane job was one
by far the gnarliest tree ive ever been in, the lift is the way to go on those
I had a near fatal climbing incident with a large EAB ash tree last year. That will make you drop the 140k for a lift and not mess about. One day I'll post the picture of the tree. The only thing that saved me was a well placed ratchet strap inbeetween two codominate leads that I installed befor I started the job.

Funny how life will teach you a lesson. Its then on you to make a decision. I'm a big advocate for not climbing EAB ash under most circumstances.

I had a near fatal climbing incident with a large EAB ash tree last year. That will make you drop the 140k for a lift and not mess about. One day I'll post the picture of the tree. The only thing that saved me was a well placed ratchet strap inbeetween two codominate leads that I installed befor I started the job.

Funny how life will teach you a lesson. Its then on you to make a decision. I'm a big advocate for not climbing EAB ash under most circumstances.
I didnt climb it, rode the crane up, cut, rode the piece back down to the ground
sketchy to some, including me but nobody got hurt, the job went smooth, customer was happy, and I was the only person willing to touch the tree

I should really get on that applicator license! It could be a nice niche as no one else does it around here. Do you?

Once in a while I do miss the sunny socal weather, Jeffy. But I am really thrilled to be away from all palms, yuccas, and agave!

No, I just never got any experience with the spraying (even though I have the license). Too late in the game for me to start now, imo. It’s definitely the type of thing you need to grow.

Around here the spraying thing (feeding, etc.) is where the real money is at. That’s why I asked if you were into it. I figured with all the conferences, BCMA and all that you’d be all over it.

Guy I know has like four spray trucks (on top of the tree crews). I think he has one just dedicated to compost tea. Basically printing money.

the crane and your gear are the only rated items in the equation.
thats why I felt safer on the crane, I was breaking off 8-12" wood just wrapping slings on the tree, we were good for 4K and I never took a pick over 1K (truthfully I could have done the entire tree in one pick if the wood could have held)
ive posted these before, you can see some of the broken off wood down below me, there was a squirrel on it breaking wood off before I went up, little dude just hopping around about to knock the tree over

👀 the firehouse bucket to hold my rope, got tired of using a bag to hold it, ive dropped trees on that bucket, dropped it from trees, and its still going strong
1670429930591.png1670429958050.png

Ive heard some stuff about how you arent allowed to ride the ball unless it is the only safe option, with or without a load on the hook
here is how I see it: exact same as DBL said, the tree is never rated, and doesnt have a load chart
also you cant see inside a limb or spar from the ground, ive been in some silver maples that felt solid, make a cut and there is 1/4" or less of wood around the limb actually holding you up

1670430905352.png

just picked up a 5" milwaukee M18 grinder to cut a cable in this big oak, man this thing is sweet
would have bought a 6" if it was in stock

its the little things

Look into the bad Dogg multi purpose cutting wheel with flange. last cutter wheel you will ever buy.
looks like a great idea but for the price id rather have atleast 90% 5 start reviews
I run diablo .040 cutoff wheels and 1/4" hard rock, ive also ran dewalt wheels and found out they suck, have had multiple blow up on me when the diablo, or even cheap harbor freight wheels dont (same conditions)
the disposable ones pay for themselves pretty well anyways, spent $30 on a 10 pack of 5" wheels yesterday and that pack will last me till june probably

printed off Z133, A300 2-8, green log weight chart, load chart for the manitex 30102WL we use, and the operators manual for my 250 today, rest of the day was organizing and cleaning gear so we can head out early tomorrow

my poor printer
1670642388557.png

Don't mean to criticize but I was always taught to leave the scabbords on the trucks. Just one more thing to have to pickup and do. Otherwise looks like a good job site!
I never really got in the habbit of leaving them in the truck, generally pull the saws out and stage right by fuel and oil, when I need a saw I grab it and toss the scabbard on the ground next to the fuel can
criticize away, have you seen this forum before? lol, dont bother me any
I did get some gopro footage of the ride up, and a pick inverting and taking my camera with, after that one I came down for a few hours and let another guy climb, then he had to go dump chips so I was back up, we were allowed to bomb the fence and the crane didnt have the capacity to make any picks on the back side so I tied into it and sliced salad off onto the fence, then big salad, then really big salad lol, all good till that damn snap cut that took my 261 to the ground
oh well, lesson learned
yes thats a 25" bar on a 261, yes it can run it, yes its square grind
1670731885233.png

I never really got in the habbit of leaving them in the truck, generally pull the saws out and stage right by fuel and oil, when I need a saw I grab it and toss the scabbard on the ground next to the fuel can
criticize away, have you seen this forum before? lol, dont bother me any
I did get some gopro footage of the ride up, and a pick inverting and taking my camera with, after that one I came down for a few hours and let another guy climb, then he had to go dump chips so I was back up, we were allowed to bomb the fence and the crane didnt have the capacity to make any picks on the back side so I tied into it and sliced salad off onto the fence, then big salad, then really big salad lol, all good till that damn snap cut that took my 261 to the ground
oh well, lesson learned
yes thats a 25" bar on a 261, yes it can run it, yes its square grind
View attachment 1039654

Looks a situation for a ‘box’ cut?

Saws have their own, named scabbards. They (scabbards) stay with the vehicle as saws are pulled out.

To me, bringing the scabbard with the saw (unless your walking or flying into a remote access job or carrying saw on machine) is a little sign of rushing / not thinking sequentially.

Latest posts

Back