New thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol,, wait, so how much of this beast is still standing?? And how many more times is the crane coming?:drinkingcoffee:
3 spars down to the cable, didnt have daylight left to go any further
about 40ft tall now, tree was 90ft (crane boomed down to an 87' tip height to reach the first pick and the tip was well short of the top)
all we gotta do is fly wood out and make a stump cut, half a day left on it

Looks a situation for a ‘box’ cut?
I tried that, hanging off the ball swaying in the breeze didnt help, pinched my saw on the bottom cut and had to use my silky to finish it
only had 2 swipes with it to finish the cut, tried to take 10ft sections or less because of the hinge under and underground propane, AC unit, deck and house under me

I never really got in the habbit of leaving them in the truck, generally pull the saws out and stage right by fuel and oil, when I need a saw I grab it and toss the scabbard on the ground next to the fuel can
criticize away, have you seen this forum before? lol, dont bother me any
I did get some gopro footage of the ride up, and a pick inverting and taking my camera with, after that one I came down for a few hours and let another guy climb, then he had to go dump chips so I was back up, we were allowed to bomb the fence and the crane didnt have the capacity to make any picks on the back side so I tied into it and sliced salad off onto the fence, then big salad, then really big salad lol, all good till that damn snap cut that took my 261 to the ground
oh well, lesson learned
yes thats a 25" bar on a 261, yes it can run it, yes its square grind
View attachment 1039654
its always funny when the pick inverts especially when you have a crane there to lift you high enough for rigging attachment so the pick doesnt invert.

Not true, crane wasn't tall enough to set slings high enough to avoid it and didn't have capacity to cut lower to make it but heavy
its always funny when the pick inverts especially when you have a crane there to lift you high enough for rigging attachment so the pick doesnt invert.

well i hope there was a lesson learned in crane selection for the job at hand.
biggest crane anyone available had
there is only 1 crane company within an hour of me that will touch a tree job, and they work with me and 2 other tree companies

believe me I tried to get a 55 ton or bigger but nobody has one that they use for trees, the company I use is working on getting a 33 ton national with 127ft of boom
if they had the jib on the crane I would have had them swing it out and get me another 25ft of height
edit: not to mention a larger crane is more likely to crack the slab it was parked on

biggest crane anyone available had
there is only 1 crane company within an hour of me that will touch a tree job, and they work with me and 2 other tree companies

believe me I tried to get a 55 ton or bigger but nobody has one that they use for trees, the company I use is working on getting a 33 ton national with 127ft of boom
if they had the jib on the crane I would have had them swing it out and get me another 25ft of height
edit: not to mention a larger crane is more likely to crack the slab it was parked on
i understand what you are saying, but the inability to get the proper size crane does not absolve you of the responsibility of rigging it properly. the result can ruin you and a machine. trying to rationalize this in your mind is crazy.

I never really got in the habbit of leaving them in the truck, generally pull the saws out and stage right by fuel and oil, when I need a saw I grab it and toss the scabbard on the ground next to the fuel can
criticize away, have you seen this forum before? lol, dont bother me any
I did get some gopro footage of the ride up, and a pick inverting and taking my camera with, after that one I came down for a few hours and let another guy climb, then he had to go dump chips so I was back up, we were allowed to bomb the fence and the crane didnt have the capacity to make any picks on the back side so I tied into it and sliced salad off onto the fence, then big salad, then really big salad lol, all good till that damn snap cut that took my 261 to the ground
oh well, lesson learned
yes thats a 25" bar on a 261, yes it can run it, yes its square grind
View attachment 1039654
We all have those days. My 362 could hardly run a 25" skiptooth in hardwood. Nice having the length though.

I don't know... sounds like a total **** show to me, but whatever. I can't even count the things that are wrong with this picture... I mean really, from the father standing in the street while the fourteen year old boy almost gets his neck broken - while the crane company that showed up for a tree they can't even reach the first branch of goes along with it... to what the "other climber" did up there for three hours, to the salad tossing on the fence event,, the saw falling... I mean really, the list goes on and on. I'd say the saw scabbards are the least of it if you ask me lol. I would suggest that this belongs in 101 but "all are welcome here", so we know how that goes. :dizzy:

This question is for all the experts out there. Which is your preferred notch method for felling a tree?

Attachments

• D771F283-39B4-4C35-895D-0DEC236D3AAF.jpeg
    D771F283-39B4-4C35-895D-0DEC236D3AAF.jpeg
    734.7 KB · Views: 0
View attachment 20221214_133110.mp4Played around with the mini yesterday. I think it was the first time we used the bmg all year.

The right side of the house had a sump pump creating a muddy mess. We forwarded most of the brush through a narrow passage along the left side. I swapped out the root grapple early on and glad I did. Bmg was pretty amazing to back though long brush. Gotta love the bollard too. This stem was quite the leaner.

I almost thought about selling the mini and bmg but we will keep it around!

Snowy day today.

Nice drop. I'm betting you didn't have a tractor winch on that job or you would've gone with that?

Yeah! It's way more stable but it was on another job. That piece was about as big as I'd want to pull with the mini.

The video is actually from a day 2 nightmare job. On day one we were horribly impeded by wet ground conditions, ended up burying the chipper trying to get it in the back yard and the dump truck blew a tire... was quite the day. Day 2 was much better!

It was one of those jobs we thought was going to be an easy 1 dayer but the conditions killed us. Changed strategy with the mini and glad we did. Thankfully it was colder with firmer ground too. Would have been NICE to have an ommne lift on that one.

How'd the ropes course job go?

That job went pretty good (especially for still being sick throughout the whole thing).

First pics shows how dead one of the ash was (first day actually working on those trees), second pic shows the start of day two (time to break out the rope), just before the trees really got their asses handed to them. Perfect example of an ideal lift job really.
84DAD251-7F9A-4E03-9230-570ED2A06167.jpeg
46B832F9-EEF1-440A-9640-2E174079EE9D.jpeg56BEF83A-D0AF-4F2F-855D-4C5F9425B9F4.jpeg

That job went pretty good (especially for still being sick throughout the whole thing).

First pics shows how dead one of the ash was (first day actually working on those trees), second pic shows the start of day two (time to break out the rope), just before the trees really got their asses handed to them. Perfect example of an ideal lift job really.
View attachment 1040990
View attachment 1040992View attachment 1040991
Quite a layout. Great job for the ommne

Back