New thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s a cool looking machine. That is a lot of money though. Scary in general what our equipment costs. Even from the things I bought three to five years ago. Seems like everything is up in the 100k plus range now… my chip truck, chipper, big giant, all that stuff is like 20 to 30k more than I paid. At least it seems that way.
The equipment is unaffordable right now. Something has to give

It actually was a beautiful day today! We had a stand-down and equipment/safety rodeo with half of the production team ( 26 guys), the other 25 guys will go thru it next month. We had 6 stations, chippers, chainsaws, bucket trucks, job site set up, and finished up with First Aid/CPR/AED certification. Guys got lunch and swag and their certs. Wish we could find more people that want to work for a company like ours, but they are hard to find.
Jeff
It was a beautiful day! :dancing:
ISA Certified Arborist WE-7624A
TCIA CTSP #00519

Nice Mike! He looks good up there.

Is he taking the Maple and the dead Ash down? If I was the homeowner I'd want to leave the maple as untouched as possible.
Yeah we were just felling his Ash. Eric was setting a pull line and trimming back a few maple branches in the way.

He struggled on the spurs at first and had about a 6ft kick out slide. Ouch. We threw an srt line high up and that gave him more confidence. He's a great worker and I think will be a good climber in time.

Very small, cheap job for us. Homeowner is a repeat customer and bargained me down to 125 per tree to fell 6 ash. Took about 3 hours with the two of us. Used the tractor, throw line, and winch to put them on the ground. Glad to have some little jobs to putz around with while the crew collects unemployment.

You staying out of the mud???

It actually was a beautiful day today! We had a stand-down and equipment/safety rodeo with half of the production team ( 26 guys), the other 25 guys will go thru it next month. We had 6 stations, chippers, chainsaws, bucket trucks, job site set up, and finished up with First Aid/CPR/AED certification. Guys got lunch and swag and their certs. Wish we could find more people that want to work for a company like ours, but they are hard to find.
Jeff
It was a beautiful day! :dancing:
ISA Certified Arborist WE-7624A
TCIA CTSP #00519
Tough to find good guys. I wouldn't want your headaches managing 50 guys!

Do you carry AEDS in all your trucks? Gets spendy quick!!

You staying out of the mud???

We’ve just been putting in the odd two - three days a week. Total survival mode, to be honest. That’s okay, nobody ever said it was going to be easy and I knew that going in. After 27 years of generating my own income, survival mode is just another gear. Not my favorite gear, but good to have it there when needed.

I have been taking advantage of the slow time to get things in order in the office, etc. Blasted through a ton of dmv stuff in the last couple weeks as well. Everything is in pretty good order now.

At this point I’m just sitting back taking inventory and formulating a revised strategy for this year. Some things have to change.

I wouldn’t want your headaches of managing six(?) guys!!

I had to do a quick search on AEDs. Lol, I know I’m not supposed to laugh about something that’s potentially life saving, but the thought of another tree guy coming at me armed with a defibrillator and some weekend class sounds kinda sketchy lol.

None in the trucks Mike, they would probably go missing if there were,ha.
Jeff

I had to do a quick search on AEDs. Lol, I know I’m not supposed to laugh about something that’s potentially life saving, but the thought of another tree guy coming at me armed with a defibrillator and some weekend class sounds kinda sketchy lol.
LOL, you don't practice an AED on a live person!
Jeff

We’ve just been putting in the odd two - three days a week. Total survival mode, to be honest. That’s okay, nobody ever said it was going to be easy and I knew that going in. After 27 years of generating my own income, survival mode is just another gear. Not my favorite gear, but good to have it there when needed.

I have been taking advantage of the slow time to get things in order in the office, etc. Blasted through a ton of dmv stuff in the last couple weeks as well. Everything is in pretty good order now.

At this point I’m just sitting back taking inventory and formulating a revised strategy for this year. Some things have to change.
Forecasting a slow down MDS?

They aren't cheap! But can save a life. The guy who did our cpr class strongly recommended we get at least one for our main truck. Most of them seem to be 1200-1800 bucks.

This winter has turned out to be very slow for us as well. People seem more hesitant to spend money, myself included.

Winter isn’t a very good indicator of things (at least not for me). Have to wait and see how things are going in the middle of this year to really tell.

I think in general it’s just a crappy business to be in. Too much ******** to go through just to try and make something sustainable out of it.

My advice to any new guys trying thinking about getting into it would “run, run while you still can… and never look back”.

Maybe open a laundromat… a package store.. strip bar, hotdog stand.. anything but this pinhead occupation!

Winter isn’t a very good indicator of things (at least not for me). Have to wait and see how things are going in the middle of this year to really tell.

I think in general it’s just a crappy business to be in. Too much ******** to go through just to try and make something sustainable out of it.

My advice to any new guys trying thinking about getting into it would “run, run while you still can… and never look back”.

Maybe open a laundromat… a package store.. strip bar, hotdog stand.. anything but this pinhead occupation!
You weren’t saying that two years ago! Haha

You have to realize, I’m one of those people that really doesn’t have a choice. Think about it, I’ve been doing this since you were four years old. Lol
True, but your are not alone. I’m in waaaay too deep as well.

Latest posts

Back