New thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah its not that, ive seen the way you pat yourself on your back and talk about your employees behind their backs for a couple years now

You better find yourself a girl and some peachtree soon kid. Even if it's a big fat ugly one from church, at least get it taken care of. Hell, even if Pa says you have to marry her first LOL. :laugh:

A few odds and ends today. One of my best workers decided to go back to the gas and oil industry so ive got my trainee up in the bucket.
20230213_084254.jpg
major snafu was when i tried to load the butt of that log into the bc1800. It stopped the drum and busted the belt. We had the feed rollers on a slow setting. Still trying to figure out best practices for a "big" chipper. It was hard maple about 18". Should I only feed hardwoods up the 12"?

Also installed some bolts through split horse chestnut. Phc jobs always seem to go more smoothly
20230213_140708.jpg

A few odds and ends today. One of my best workers decided to go back to the gas and oil industry so ive got my trainee up in the bucket.
View attachment 1057623
major snafu was when i tried to load the butt of that log into the bc1800. It stopped the drum and busted the belt. We had the feed rollers on a slow setting. Still trying to figure out best practices for a "big" chipper. It was hard maple about 18". Should I only feed hardwoods up the 12"?

Also installed some bolts through split horse chestnut. Phc jobs always seem to go more smoothly
View attachment 1057624
Wow, never heard of breaking a belt, Stalling it out yes but not breaking a belt. When my smaller 1000XL stalls, first thing I do is change the blades.
Does your chipper feed the log back out a bit when the engine bogs? Probably a term for it but I don't know it. My old chipper didn't have that feature and stalled often when the load was too big for it but my current one does, 2013. Rarely sytalls, only with dull blades.

Wow, never heard of breaking a belt, Stalling it out yes but not breaking a belt. When my smaller 1000XL stalls, first thing I do is change the blades.
Does your chipper feed the log back out a bit when the engine bogs? Probably a term for it but I don't know it. My old chipper didn't have that feature and stalled often when the load was too big for it but my current one does, 2013. Rarely sytalls, only with dull blades.
Maybe that's similar to an auto feed feature?

Mine is quite old, I think 1998. Purchased in the fall and had it restored. I'm still working out the kinks. This is the second belt we've broken. Using the altec tomorrow...

Maybe that's similar to an auto feed feature?

Mine is quite old, I think 1998. Purchased in the fall and had it restored. I'm still working out the kinks. This is the second belt we've broken. Using the altec tomorrow...
Not so much auto feed, I had that with my older model too but this newer one feeds the chipper, the engine bogs, the feeder stops and backs the log away from the blades. Engine revs up and feeds again. The other thing I've come to realize is wait a while for the hydraulic fluid to warm up as you start to feed. Feed it smaller stuff for a bit, get the fluid warmed and then feed the larger logs. When the fluids cold, the autofeed doesn't work as well and with mine, the backout feature doesn't work till it's warmed up.

View attachment 1057623

View attachment 1057624

Maximum diameter sugar maple will do that. I found that out when mine was new. Nothing like that sudden dead silence lol. I think after a while you just learn the machine’s limitations and find that comfort zone. But yeah, try and stay away from max diameter sugar maple. Anything in the locust family would be another one just off the top of my head. That belt snapping thing does sound odd?

Sorry to hear about your worker. That’s one of the things I hate about this business, seems like no matter what you do they’re always leaving for greener pastures. Lol.

Not so much auto feed, I had that with my older model too but this newer one feeds the chipper, the engine bogs, the feeder stops and backs the log away from the blades. Engine revs up and feeds again. The other thing I've come to realize is wait a while for the hydraulic fluid to warm up as you start to feed. Feed it smaller stuff for a bit, get the fluid warmed and then feed the larger logs. When the fluids cold, the autofeed doesn't work as well and with mine, the backout feature doesn't work till it's warmed up.
Thanks! The feed wheels were running a little funny too. I wonder if that has something to do with the hydraulic oil too

Maximum diameter sugar maple will do that. I found that out when mine was new. Nothing like that sudden dead silence lol. I think after a while you just learn the machine’s limitations and find that comfort zone. But yeah, try and stay away from max diameter sugar maple. Anything in the locust family would be another one just off the top of my head. That belt snapping thing does sound odd?

Sorry to hear about your worker. That’s one of the things I hate about this business, seems like no matter what you do they’re always leaving for greener pastures. Lol.
Thanks for the advisement. I will not be feeding anything massive anymore. It does blow my other chippers away though.

This is the second time Josh has quit. We're just slow right now and he needs to pay the bills. I may see him back again someday.

Working on a nice couple acre Woodlot thinning job today. The skidder winch is showing its worth.

I used my tractor winch (and Pa giant) yesterday. It’s like a match made in heaven those two machines on the right job.

In between tree jobs I’ve been taking advantage of the warm weather to do some maintenance. I greased the log truck, both giants and a lift the other day. Feels so good to get that stuff done!

The giant dealer is supposed to drop off my new rake/broom thingy for the mini this week. I know it’s just a little thing, but I’m kinda excited about it lol. Seems like it could save a lot of time over the course of a year.

I just wish they made a robotic groundman, that would be sweet. Even if the first models were dumb and clunky, I think I could work with them. Lol.
2614A2DA-A599-4FBB-8BFB-E99DBA84F899.jpeg51BF1A72-50A2-4CA5-B626-960C8DC5B5D1.jpeg

I used my tractor winch (and Pa giant) yesterday. It’s like a match made in heaven those two machines on the right job.

In between tree jobs I’ve been taking advantage of the warm weather to do some maintenance. I greased the log truck, both giants and a lift the other day. Feels so good to get that stuff done!

The giant dealer is supposed to drop off my new rake/broom thingy for the mini this week. I know it’s just a little thing, but I’m kinda excited about it lol. Seems like it could save a lot of time over the course of a year.

I just wish they made a robotic groundman, that would be sweet. Even if the first models were dumb and clunky, I think I could work with them. Lol.
View attachment 1057887View attachment 1057886
You're gonna love that grab rake! It makes cleaning up ash 100 times easier.

My current situation.

1676475678281250726011643188719.jpg

Say Dad, I'm trying to figure out how your Omme outrigger cylinder protectors work. It appears that it is fastened on the rod mount end of the outrigger, and allowed to telescope on the cylinder, and the protector is not mounted on the cylinder mount of the outrigger. If a heavy object were to drop on the protector, wouldn't there be a possibility that the rod could still bend? And or the cylinder dent? On my 70, protection seems minimal at best (pic). I would like to have the protector mounted at each end of the cylinder, and telescope on itself., not attached to the cylinder or rod in any way. Yes, the material would have to be beefy. 2nd pic is the roof of my warehouse. Painted flag is 31.5' X 60'. Stars are 24" Diameter.

Attachments

• 20220701_151702.jpg
    20220701_151702.jpg
    806.9 KB · Views: 1
  • DJI_0008 (1).JPG
    DJI_0008 (1).JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 1
To be honest i don't know why they designed it like that. The most vulnerable part of the hydro cylinder is the shiny metal part.

I believe that is an old design. My Easy Lift"87-48aj" has the shiny metal part protected.

Say Dad, I'm trying to figure out how your Omme outrigger cylinder protectors work. It appears that it is fastened on the rod mount end of the outrigger, and allowed to telescope on the cylinder, and the protector is not mounted on the cylinder mount of the outrigger. If a heavy object were to drop on the protector, wouldn't there be a possibility that the rod could still bend? And or the cylinder dent? On my 70, protection seems minimal at best (pic). I would like to have the protector mounted at each end of the cylinder, and telescope on itself., not attached to the cylinder or rod in any way. Yes, the material would have to be beefy. 2nd pic is the roof of my warehouse. Painted flag is 31.5' X 60'. Stars are 24" Diameter.

It’s bolted in front of the cylinder, and the rear just has this metal ring with the hose bolted to it. There’s also a nylon slide (nickel sized) that moves on the tube. The hose also helps pop the hyd lines over the metal ring (bracket). I think it could take a good limb hit without damaging the cylinder. It’s not gonna protect it if you drop a log on it though. Lol.
0D82FB70-7A29-49DC-BCCE-63E710408688.jpeg17CB5340-4DF3-4BE8-8BB5-E493534EB9CD.jpeg6659421A-7DC7-4F5D-A799-005B0BC9E11C.jpeg

Thankx for the replies. I think I figured out a way to mount 1/2" X 6" 6024 aluminum channel, without any support from the cylinder. The cylinder, rod, hyd lines and load sensors (?) would all be protected. At least by a heavier wack than it could take now.
Thankx again for the replies, especially the clear pics of the OMME protection.

Thankx for the replies. I think I figured out a way to mount 1/2" X 6" 6024 aluminum channel, without any support from the cylinder. The cylinder, rod, hyd lines and load sensors (?) would all be protected. At least by a heavier wack than it could take now.
Thankx again for the replies, especially the clear pics of the OMME protection.

So what’s the footprint of the warehouse and what kind of wares are in it? Very impressive building!

60X100.
Dad, it’s 75% full of copiers, the rest is stickered 9 quarter black walnut, 8 gaylords of hard maple, cherry, yew, butternut, and other various “pretty” woods I use for turning. 2 boats, 79 Cadillac, JD2520 diesel and bush hog. A pickers paradise really. I’ve been a copier tech for 49 yrs, and in my business since 85. Downsized now to 2 employees. So what is a copier tech doing with a lift? Several sugar maples were over the roof of my 30X40 shop across the road. Called 4 tree guys: 3 said they couldn’t do it, the 4th never called back. Although one was able to remove some “low hanging fruit.” He only had a 40’ lift. Truck lift couldn’t get back there.
"I think I can do this!" My need for trimming taller trees extends beyond the trees over the shop, so I bought a (certified) 70’ lift. Practiced ziplining. My CS355T, the lift, and my cautiousness, got the job done perfectly. Albeit much slower than the professionals on this forum, which I probably shouldn’t be posting on. Don’t worry, it won’t happen much. A friend said ”Why didn’t you keep calling till you found somebody with the right equipment?” I said what fun is that?

My furnace has only used ½ tank of oil since 1976.

If there is any possibility of injury or property damage, I call the people that forgot more than I will ever know. This blow over is in Canada. I would be the only person there (Wife of 44 yrs passed away 2 yrs ago), and the nearest hospital is in Perth about an hour away. So a tree Co in Sharbot Lake on rt. 509 is, or has, levelled the root ball.

Attachments

• 20220527_153315 (1).jpg
    20220527_153315 (1).jpg
    8.4 MB · Views: 0
A little spring cleanup this morning. Started testing the rake cleaning up firewood splitting slag and just went sick.

Two thumbs up on the rake. I gotta hand it to Dave, dude is on it! I was thinking of how to carry it on the trailer, then I see he’s already got a rake holder, might look into that.
0006B6CA-67F5-4CB0-BBEF-1E7329CBDCA0.jpeg90770C15-1260-4DA0-9730-4A3ED000B3E5.jpeg22B34C59-56CB-445F-A0EB-D978727B59E8.jpegD385784E-4CBA-467E-98CD-9CBF082D99A9.jpeg

Latest posts

Back