New thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bombing bluegums today.

Full shanty town property, medium term clients recently bought it, lots of work to undo the previous owners ‘handywork’.

Seems the season has broken, had rain yesterday, very nice to have no dust today, might even see some green soon.

I guess could say summer is like your winter for treework here - a slower time, dust & heat tough on people & equipment, constant fire risk. Winter, for us, is downright pleasant.

View attachment 1074385

View attachment 1074386

View attachment 1074387
K9 SLAYING IT AS USUAL

And a couple showing doesn’t always go to plan….

Actually a bit of a 'learning' exercise for the young Italian. Set him a target to hit, running it down side of shack. Moderate back lean, felling into wind, asymmetrical canopy. Bit smaller tree (Sydney blue gum) than earlier Tassie blue gums we were felling. Watched it unfold, judged wouldn't do too much damage. Gave him plenty of stick for his attempt to push it over as it became apparent the wind had got hold of it.

45 degrees off intended lay, side swiped three smaller trees we had been retaining. Lower felling height, higher hinge to give it a bit more hold, hard wedge on left side & strong triangular hinge would have pulled it around nicely.

We got it cleaned up quickly & no harm done, apart from his pride.

499991FC-7A53-4A69-92FE-98F926820EC8.jpeg

F9C8AD4D-63D7-44E6-BBE9-F603FD592A70.jpeg

Actually a bit of a 'learning' exercise for the young Italian. Set him a target to hit, running it down side of shack. Moderate back lean, felling into wind, asymmetrical canopy. Bit smaller tree (Sydney blue gum) than earlier Tassie blue gums we were felling. Watched it unfold, judged wouldn't do too much damage. Gave him plenty of stick for his attempt to push it over as it became apparent the wind had got hold of it.

45 degrees off intended lay, side swiped three smaller trees we had been retaining. Lower felling height, higher hinge to give it a bit more hold, hard wedge on left side & strong triangular hinge would have pulled it around nicely.

View attachment 1074578

View attachment 1074577
Oopsie daisy! Helpful for us to learn from as well. Thanks for sharing.

We had an unfortunate mishap a few weeks ago felling a dual stemmed tree. Hinge broke on one side, slid to the left and kissed the roof, then skimmed against a 2023 Subaru on its way off the roof. We fixed it immediately and filed a liability claim but it is a sure awkward conversation with the homeowner.

20230331_100014.jpg

View attachment 1074578

View attachment 1074577

I think Italians make the best tree climbers. Quick, agile, perfectionist and they got the hate. Think about it! How could they not accel at such a thing as this!! Lol.

I think Italians make the best tree climbers. Quick, agile, perfectionist and they got the hate. Think about it! How could they not accel at such a thing as this!! Lol.

My partner is Italian & she certainly has no issues expressing her ‘opinions’.

Our ‘wildlife’ sometimes presents some challenges to our semi-domesticated Italians….

Plenty of hingework today, clearing out a site for a new farm building. Spotted gum - so plenty of valuable structural wood, fuelwood & mulch, an allround useful species.

Somewhat moist as well.

6080E9CA-29B8-49D6-A19D-79DA13B8EB99.jpeg

6079CA95-E184-457C-B316-0E4F172C55C8.jpeg

6300833E-B519-48CF-838D-52B7F17B2353.jpeg

7634EFD2-5445-454E-925F-24BC6803EAF2.jpeg

6444D571-4B5C-4082-98F1-C4557439B987.jpeg

5F6701A7-D322-48E4-A157-786B4F6E1F63.jpeg

E19399C5-720E-4EB5-9227-4D575ECD31A8.jpeg

B7D9F96E-9716-406F-939B-06E8E8CBA81C.jpeg

6F1AFBB9-882A-4BBC-A35E-9E12FD3F8E4E.jpeg

444C3AAD-62E5-4138-8028-BB3F36779FE1.jpeg

Oopsie daisy! Helpful for us to learn from as well. Thanks for sharing.

We had an unfortunate mishap a few weeks ago felling a dual stemmed tree. Hinge broke on one side, slid to the left and kissed the roof, then skimmed against a 2023 Subaru on its way off the roof. We fixed it immediately and filed a liability claim but it is a sure awkward conversation with the homeowner.

View attachment 1074748

That's a real bugger.

Not a conversation I want to have.

I have actually been climbing and pruning a few days this week. Been quite a while. Interesting. Started off really slow kind of in shock, but by the end of yesterday I was limbering up and actually feeling pretty good up there (for being overweight and 50). Like riding a bike though. I think I’ll keep going with it as the need arises. Feels good to be up there in a tee shirt and warm again.

Grateful for good insurance. A very small claim thankfully.

I am always very impressed with your photography. Keep them coming!

Pulled up an uprooted arb yesterday. Here's to hoping it lives!
View attachment 1075066View attachment 1075067

Thankyou.

How did you you secure the uprooted once it was ‘reset’?

Mud season is upon us, as is firewood season. The two go hand in hand actually. Looking forward to the new processor to speed up that side of the firewood sideline.

C472F355-37A4-4354-B70D-30F9A9620097.jpeg

16074884-5F10-4109-8EF3-EB3508134095.jpeg

694BE689-4DC8-4905-A9D9-10A0EBB84EDF.jpeg

Thankyou.

How did you you secure the uprooted once it was ‘reset’?

Mud season is upon us, as is firewood season. The two go hand in hand actually. Looking forward to the new processor to speed up that side of the firewood sideline.

View attachment 1075087

View attachment 1075088

View attachment 1075089
What a cool set up. You must do a lot of volume to be able to use a processor. Do you shut down tree work operations to some extent to focus on firewood in the winter?

We cabled the trees to a stump behind. I'd say it's about a 5 year fix. Hopefully by then the roots will be somewhat reestablished.
20230413_133726.jpg

Always enjoy seeing everyone's pics and discussing how we do things and our business set ups.

What a cool set up. You must do a lot of volume to be able to use a processor. Do you shut down tree work operations to some extent to focus on firewood in the winter?

We cabled the trees to a stump behind. I'd say it's about a 5 year fix. Hopefully by then the roots will be somewhat reestablished.
View attachment 1075306

Always enjoy seeing everyone's pics and discussing how we do things and our business set ups.

Winter is generally a very busy time with tree work, particularly with shorter days & dedicated tree work is more profitable (usually), but have tried to develop the wood byproduct market to make it even more so, which makes perfect sense to me, having most of the required equipment & access to large volumes of good fuelwood species.

In some ways, it's like getting paid for the job twice.

So try & fit in the firewood, mulch, timber etc so they flow on from normal day to day operations, which helps to add a bit of turnover onto each day. There is a certain component of 'nightshift' & weekend work with the firewood, but is has become a handy addition to overall business. In warmer months, try to get ahead on the firewood stockpiles, but some big orders this year have exhausted some of those stockpiles. The splitting & stockpiling is the real bottleneck / extra labour side of the process, so now aiming to streamline this part.

The firewood 'processor' will be pretty basic - a lifter, splitter & conveyor stacker, but is Australian made piece of equipment (starter set up will be around $25K), well made & hopefully should pay itself off pretty quickly. At this stage, not buying the feeder hopper (another $16K), but have plans to utilise a heavy duty roller rack (from my mining exploration days) system to feed the splitter more efficiently. Am hoping with the wood already rounded & stockpiled, one operator can consistently put out 5-8 cubic metres (750kg per cube = 5 tonnes approx) an hour. At a baseline price of $240.00 per tonne....

So right now, with first few 'cold' days, people are squealing for their wood & the unit can't get here quick enough (aside from the laying down of $25K).

Am currently 'test driving' wood from these trees (spotted & rose gum), which we harvested last year, in my own fireplace.

jp-2-jpg.1075359

jp-3-jpg.1075360

jp-8-jpg.1075361

Attachments

• JP 2.JPG
    8.1 MB · Views: 96
  • JP 3.JPG
    7.7 MB · Views: 97
  • JP 8.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 94
I’m gonna have a steel frame built on top on the storage container so I can store the chip top for the log truck up there. Same dimensions . Should be pretty slick. View attachment 1075449
I like the idea of a canopy that sits atop two storge containers. Might be a relatively cheap option for you if you need some space out of the elements. Quick Google search found this.

Attachments

• s-l500.png
    s-l500.png
    280.4 KB · Views: 0
I like the idea of a canopy that sits atop two storge containers. Might be a relatively cheap option for you if you need some space out of the elements. Quick Google search found this.

A little more than I need, but interesting.

I was actually thinking of someday maybe a lean-to type structure off the side. Maybe a metal or fiberglass corrugated roof. Just something to keep a lift or whatever under during the better months. The sun is brutal all day over there and the lifts fade pretty quickly, not to mention the rain. 20' isn't enough to cover the entire lift, but most of it.

Latest posts

Back