New thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You mean flop em!!??:surprised3:

Yeah, I'm gonna run right out and get a go-pro today lol
I had a similar thought. Could they have been sucked back into the woodlot using your farmi winch? Or even felled into the yard, missing those little cherries? Pictures, of course, never tell the whole story.... My guess is that you typically don't even leave a divet in the lawn and want to protect the property.

We use our PTO winch to that end very regularly. I think they are a highly valuable but underutilized tool in the arborist arsenal.

I found out we are the low bidder on a 70 acre state forestry job. Basically they mark 25 sapling crop trees per acre and you cut the competing vegetation around it. It looks like it will go pretty quick. HOPEFULLY, we can do about 15 acres per day and get it done in about a week. I've never bid something like this before and hope my numbers are right!

Lol. You guys are funny.

Basically my customer is in the Bahamas or something like that I’m pretty sure. This is a summer type home. He asked me to look at this row of trees last summer when we were there doing some other work. I finally got back to him a couple weeks ago and asked if he still wanted a price and he said sure. So I took this picture and suggested take these eight to clear up the view from his pool area. Originally he had wanted me to hack everything down into the woods, but I was concerned about breaking the other trees, piling up a huge mess, etc. So I said I’ll do whatever is easier, take some of the bigger stuff, throw the small stuff back in the woods… X amount of $’s. He said sounds great, go ahead.
064DD29A-03BA-4707-83D0-E2E13BC68B87.jpeg
That picture you guys were so interested in of #2 tree, I can whip a tree like that down in 20 mins lol. Throw the brush down in the weeds along the edge, have the guys toss it back further out of sight, then flomp logs down as long as possible in the same spot. Then stuff logs in chipper. Rinse, lather, repeat. Easy peasy.

As far as dropping whole trees on a wet, manicured lawn that I distinctively remember my customer saying the caretaker finally got looking good, not a great plan imo. Not to mention the raking up after that… and the orchard, and the risk of ten year dead ash trees falling apart on me while trying to “suck em back into the woods with the farmi”. Lol… not that I haven’t been running a tractor with winch since I was 23, but just saying.

Lol. You guys are funny.

Basically my customer is in the Bahamas or something like that I’m pretty sure. This is a summer type home. He asked me to look at this row of trees last summer when we were there doing some other work. I finally got back to him a couple weeks ago and asked if he still wanted a price and he said sure. So I took this picture and suggested take these eight to clear up the view from his pool area. Originally he had wanted me to hack everything down into the woods, but I was concerned about breaking the other trees, piling up a huge mess, etc. So I said I’ll do whatever is easier, take some of the bigger stuff, throw the small stuff back in the woods… X amount of $’s. He said sounds great, go ahead.
View attachment 1128690
That picture you guys were so interested in of #2 tree, I can whip a tree like that down in 20 mins lol. Throw the brush down in the weeds along the edge, have the guys toss it back further out of sight, then flomp logs down as long as possible in the same spot. Then stuff logs in chipper. Rinse, lather, repeat. Easy peasy.

As far as dropping whole trees on a wet, manicured lawn that I distinctively remember my customer saying the caretaker finally got looking good, not a great plan imo. Not to mention the raking up after that… and the orchard, and the risk of ten year dead ash trees falling apart on me while trying to “suck em back into the woods with the farmi”. Lol… not that I haven’t been running a tractor with winch since I was 23, but just saying.
you can edit a photo, thats a good start. Maybe a 2024 goal should be posting some videos!

Lol. You guys are funny.

View attachment 1128690

Sweet deal! You know how to sell em and do it well! How's your winter looking???

Actually, I wasn’t bragging about anything. The post was completely sarcastic in nature.

When someone asks me the same question several times, and I don’t answer it, you’d think they’d get the hint. That’s all.

There’s just certain things I don’t post about in here.
Ah, sorry.

I'm often thinking about how to best plan for and gather ideas for the winter strategy- and learn from others like yourself. I had forgotten I'd already asked.

Thanks, man.

With the Ash borer and me getting the first lift 4 1/2 years ago, it really preserved that truck (MDS can only run so much stuff lol). It wouldn’t even have this many miles on it if we didn’t start dragging the mini and dump trailer around with it.
View attachment 1137580View attachment 1137581

Well, looks like my winter vacation to Bora Bora is going to have to be put on hold till next year. I chickened out on advertising the bucket at the last minute (after heavy soul searching). It’s just not worth it, truck is too special and valuable an asset to let go of, especially since paid off. So I think I’m gonna permanently shelve that idea. Life just wouldn’t be the same without it.
why would you sell it ? id rather cycle a lift through every 5 years or so…

I thought the homie lift was the best thing ever and could never be replaced by a bucket? seemed like it was so amazing you never needed a bucket to begin with!
just saying, trade the bucket for a NBT40 and you'd be all set for 10+ years, or get a 105ft double elevator with a material handler and have almost 60ft of rear reach, and 40+ft off the front, the bigger bucket is a little heavier tho, like another 30K pounds heavier lol
1703439126990.png

I guess I was just looking for the quickest way to Tree-topia (bucket title is in hand). Like I said, it wouldn’t be the same without my bucket though.
I’m surprised you don’t use it much. IMO, if you can get the bucket to it, I’d park the tracked lift. Faster operator speed, space free’d up on the trailer to bring a loader, gear conveniently stored in the truck, etc.

Just sell the second tracked lift and buy a crane. Think about all those trees you rope down that could be 2 or 3 picks with a crane.

Back