New thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ares-god-of-war.gif

Attachments

• 1703643365929.png
    1703643365929.png
    362.1 KB · Views: 1
IMG_0652.jpeg
IMG_0648.jpegIMG_0649.jpeg
Bought this woodsman/terex chipper at an auction yesterday. So far I think I got a great deal, will know more as I dive into it. Not very pretty, but rated at 19” capacity and has a 200hp Deere motor. Woodsman have a gear motor on the feed wheel motors, supposedly makes for a strong infeed system. I already deal with landmark machinery for most of my chipper parts, so they should have me covered on whatever I need for it.

Bought this woodsman/terex chipper at an auction yesterday. So far I think I got a great deal, will know more as I dive into it. Not very pretty, but rated at 19” capacity and has a 200hp Deere motor. Woodsman have a gear motor on the feed wheel motors, supposedly makes for a strong infeed system. I already deal with landmark machinery for most of my chipper parts, so they should have me covered on whatever I need for it.

That's an industrial looking chipper!

The gear motor likely isolates the hydraulic motor from a huge amount of wear and tear on it's shaft.

I see what looks like a hydraulic cylinder that can lift the feed wheel for maintenance and for getting a big piece started. I like the big mono design but have never used one.

Does the same cylinder also act as a shock to keep the feed wheel from slamming down after a big piece passes?

Nice looking shop and pile of files.

That's an industrial looking chipper!

The gear motor likely isolates the hydraulic motor from a huge amount of wear and tear on it's shaft.

I see what looks like a hydraulic cylinder that can lift the feed wheel for maintenance and for getting a big piece started. I like the big mono design but have never used one.

Does the same cylinder also act as a shock to keep the feed wheel from slamming down after a big piece passes?

Nice looking shop and pile of files.
I think you’re right about the cylinder acting as a lift to get a big piece started, but a crush cylinder as well. I haven’t even chipped anything yet. I got it in the shop going over everything.

Need to service the engine, wash it, knives, anvil, fix the winch motor coupling, lights and weld a bunch of various cracks. One thing that I have noticed is the steel isn’t as thick as my morbark in various spots. But it’s got a lot of cracks that I’ve welded over the years as well. Just a nature of the beast. I keep my knives sharp and that helps keep the vibrations down, but the previous owners weren’t hip on that. Lol

My shop is a tad small, but it’s setup pretty well. I heat it and my house with an outdoor wood boiler. 72” Mac tool box almost full of quality tools. Welder and plasma cutter. A lot of work bench space, and still park my car and motorcycles on the other side. This is 40x30 and a have another section that’s about the same size with a 12’ door, but it’s not insulated. Wish I could get all of my trucks indoors, but that’s big money.

IMG_0655.jpegIMG_0656.jpegIMG_0657.jpeg

Anyone else's body starting to fall apart?
I've been pruning Apples the last couple of days and have a week of it next week. Carpel tunnel is already coming back and the tennis elbow should be barking soon.
I should start teaching classes on PHC for old tree guys. Well not old, just middle age and worn out tree guys.
More money, less stress on the body, and an all around better deal.

Anyone else's body starting to fall apart?
I split 2.5 cords of hard oak that were sitting in my yard back when I was 13. I only did it because after I "accidentally" broke the crappy axe I had, they bought me a nice Stihl axe that was then traded for a maul. After all, they were tired of warranting the thing because I kept using it with the metal wedges. I felt like Superman after, but now I do it so infrequently that it sometimes my abs hurt.

After all, they were tired of warranting the thing because I kept using it with the metal wedges.
2 things
1: who the hell uses metal wedges?
2: an axe and a maul are the same thing different shape, maul wont do any different than an axe when it comes to hitting wedges

I bang wedges all the time with a stihl forest axe, and split wood with it, only ever actually broke a maul lol

2 things
1: who the hell uses metal wedges?
2: an axe and a maul are the same thing different shape, maul wont do any different than an axe when it comes to hitting wedges

I bang wedges all the time with a stihl forest axe, and split wood with it, only ever actually broke a maul lol
Metal splitting wedge.

Metal splitting wedge.
yuh, I know

trick is, the plastic ones work if you stack them, wont start in if there isnt already a crack but for breaking apart knots or finishing that stringy hickory/locust they work wonders

but my 35 ton steel splitting wedge does alright

Back