New thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don’t read or respond to his posts. He’s more than welcome to read or reply, but he should warrant no interaction.

Worked the crane and bucket a lot this past week. Spanked a 36” codom silver maple with a very wide crown one day and then started clearing a bunch of trees on a narrow, steep bank with a fence on one side and an apartment complex on the other side.

View attachment 1001821
nice job, tough to land a pick that big. easier on the ground work flow if you can make two or three smaller picks.

nice job, tough to land a pick that big. easier on the ground work flow if you can make two or three smaller picks.
I dont do crane jobs, but on any normal job, especially from the bucket I make each cut small enough that my ground guy/crew doesnt pick up a saw, makes the whole job go allot faster

Pa ain't so good at startin' them fangled saws?:laugh:
lol
too hot these days, boiled gas and vapor lock + never taking the time to tune saws = the only saw that starts after 2pm is my 500i, and dads husky battery saw
that 500i is amazing, probably gonna pick up another one for limbing, the 28" rollomatic bar isnt light lol (saw shop didnt have a 28" light bar unfortunately)
if I go that route im putting a wrap handle on one just for falling, and probably leave a 32" bar on it

lol
too hot these days, boiled gas and vapor lock + never taking the time to tune saws = the only saw that starts after 2pm is my 500i, and dads husky battery saw
that 500i is amazing, probably gonna pick up another one for limbing, the 28" rollomatic bar isnt light lol (saw shop didnt have a 28" light bar unfortunately)
if I go that route im putting a wrap handle on one just for falling, and probably leave a 32" bar on it

I don't understand this 'cheap gas' & 'boiled gas' scenario?

We run saws in proper hot conditions, long days, often doing work for the saws that is much more arduous than backyard residential type work. But never an issue with 'boiled gas'?

Sure your not mixing up your tins of fuel kid? Shine ain't for the orange & white machines!!

We run saws in proper hot conditions, long days, work for the saws that is much more arduous than backyard residential type work. But never an issue with 'boiled gas'?

Sure your not mixing up your tins of fuel kid? Shine ain't for the orange & white machines!!

LOL. The BS is getting so deep it’s starting to reek through my phone. :laugh:

We run saws in proper hot conditions, long days, work for the saws that is much more arduous than backyard residential type work. But never an issue with 'boiled gas'?

when the tank doesnt vent properly it pulls a vacuum, which lowers the boiling point of the fuel, when you open the gas cap it will boil over
quesadilla wouldnt know since it never gets over 70 degrees for him

just google "chainsaw boiling fuel" if you wanna learn more
im no expert, I just know from personal experience if I open the cap and fuel geysers out, the saw wont run till it cools off again

Looks like the crane is working out wel!!??
It’s been really good for my small outfit. I probably don’t use it quite as much as I first imagined I would, but that has been mostly dependent on the kind of jobs I’ve bid so far this year. It’s made the obvious crane jobs easier to schedule/more profitable. It has made some other jobs that don’t necessarily need a crane into a cake walk using the crane. I’ve saved my body a bunch of wear and tear as well.

I think for the money invested (I’m into it around $80k), there isn’t another piece of equipment that could match the production it produces. Mind you, I already had: a bucket, chipper, chip truck, f450 dump, stumper, mini skid, and full size skid. Having an experienced crane operator working for me, it was the logical next step for my operation.

Yup, I agree with that.

How good the ground guys are dictates a lot of how the job plays out or is executed. You always find the bottle neck in the operation. Ground guy is definitely my weak spot at the moment. I get out of the bucket or tree as much as I can to help. That would be a no go for a lot of operators, but I worked my way up to this point, nothing is beneath the owner to do.

Ground guy is definitely my weak spot at the moment. I get out of the bucket or tree as much as I can to help. That would be a no go for a lot of operators, but I worked my way up to this point, nothing is beneath the owner to do.
I do the same thing sometimes coming down to help but the crane ops seem to not like it, why is that?

Yup, I agree with that.

How good the ground guys are dictates a lot of how the job plays out or is executed. You always find the bottle neck in the operation. Ground guy is definitely my weak spot at the moment. I get out of the bucket or tree as much as I can to help. That would be a no go for a lot of operators, but I worked my way up to this point, nothing is beneath the owner to do.

Man, you ain’t kidding there! Ground help unfortunately dictates the execution of project more often than I’d like to admit. This is nothing new, though, just a very real aspect.

Thankfully I actually have two fairly capable guys at the moment, so pretty much can do whatever I want with regard to rigging, driving, etc. That is rather rare for me though, I have to admit. Lol

when the tank doesnt vent properly it pulls a vacuum, which lowers the boiling point of the fuel, when you open the gas cap it will boil over
quesadilla wouldnt know since it never gets over 70 degrees for him

just google "chainsaw boiling fuel" if you wanna learn more
im no expert, I just know from personal experience if I open the cap and fuel geysers out, the saw wont run till it cools off again

You might be right about having a hot saw, but that isn't why fuel EVER boils over. Never. Ever.

See, you just have the physics wrong. Your fuel is in a hot fuel tank, and will never generate a vacuum under those conditions. When gasoline is heated up, it's vapor pressure rises, as does the pressure inside the fuel tank if it is not properly vented. When you take the cap off, the atmospheric pressure inside the tank is released, but the vapor pressure of the fuel isn't changed. RAPID evaporative cooling will occur until the vapor pressure of the fuel no longer exceeds the atmospheric pressure.

This is what you call "boiling off".

Conversely, fuel might be boiling off inside a tank under vacuum, but the boiling will stop instantly when the vacuum is released by taking off the cap. I kinda doubt if a chainsaw ever used enough fuel to get hot while the cap was holding a vacuum. That's a lot of fuel consumption, and it just isn't how chainsaw fuel caps work.

As to googling "chainsaw boiling over" ? I did. Found this:
https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/fuel-boiling.200588/post-3662143

LOL. The BS is getting so deep it’s starting to reek through my phone. :laugh:

Sometimes I feel like my dogs when an annoying white fluffy dog talks smack to them as we drive past in the truck....

rw-1-jpg.1002225

Attachments

• RW 1.JPG
    RW 1.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 56
You might be right about having a hot saw, but that isn't why fuel EVER boils over. Never. Ever.

See, you just have the physics wrong. Your fuel is in a hot fuel tank, and will never generate a vacuum under those conditions. When gasoline is heated up, it's vapor pressure rises, as does the pressure inside the fuel tank if it is not properly vented. When you take the cap off, the atmospheric pressure inside the tank is released, but the vapor pressure of the fuel isn't changed. RAPID evaporative cooling will occur until the vapor pressure of the fuel no longer exceeds the atmospheric pressure.

This is what you call "boiling off".

Conversely, fuel might be boiling off inside a tank under vacuum, but the boiling will stop instantly when the vacuum is released by taking off the cap. I kinda doubt if a chainsaw ever used enough fuel to get hot while the cap was holding a vacuum. That's a lot of fuel consumption, and it just isn't how chainsaw fuel caps work.

As to googling "chainsaw boiling over" ? I did. Found this:
https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/fuel-boiling.200588/post-3662143
When oddly chimes in, you know ya messed up!

Yup, I agree with that.

How good the ground guys are dictates a lot of how the job plays out or is executed. You always find the bottle neck in the operation. Ground guy is definitely my weak spot at the moment. I get out of the bucket or tree as much as I can to help. That would be a no go for a lot of operators, but I worked my way up to this point, nothing is beneath the owner to

I was looking at that trying to figure out where the climber was on that tree, till I figured out the tree was up in the air.
That's too funny!

Back