New thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you rate the Bobcat MT55?

And the 500i?
The bobcat has been great. The dump wants 5ft logs so I can usually pick up 10ft and cut them in half at the dump. If big diameter I can usually pick up a 5ft. If the bobcat can't lift it, it's probably too big a diameter for the grapple anyway.

500i has been great too, I only bought it because I dropped a tree on the 661 and when I went to buy a new one they were out of 661.

In my defense the saw smashing was semi planned, in other words the situation was sketchy and the plan was drop the saw and run if things start to go south which they did

The bobcat has been great. The dump wants 5ft logs so I can usually pick up 10ft and cut them in half at the dump. If big diameter I can usually pick up a 5ft. If the bobcat can't lift it, it's probably too big a diameter for the grapple anyway.

500i has been great too, I only bought it because I dropped a tree on the 661 and when I went to buy a new one they were out of 661.

In my defense the saw smashing was semi planned, in other words the situation was sketchy and the plan was drop the saw and run if things start to go south which they did

Felling third tree with the new 500 recently, little wind gust sat it back early on the back cut, 46m tree, about a metre DBH, no amount of wedging would lift it, had to hurriedly set a highline & stand it up with truck.

Then as it went over, had to dash in to grab the saw, happy to say both survived.

Indeed it is, particularly when the client is watching & it’s going through your head “knew should have put a line on it”.
its always the simple trees that get me

like dropping a ~16" 50ft pine in a forest, woulda dropped right down the opening I wanted, without damage, or being snagged in another tree if the customer wasnt watching (sarcasm, im not that great at dropping trees)

One time the client said to drop it right toward this other tree, I said sure I can do that. Mid face cut I thought no better drop it a bit to the right so it doesn't get snagged. Well I didn't tell him that, so after the fact he says oh well you were close can't nail em all, and I couldn't say after the fact that's where I meant to put it

One time the client said to drop it right toward this other tree, I said sure I can do that. Mid face cut I thought no better drop it a bit to the right so it doesn't get snagged. Well I didn't tell him that, so after the fact he says oh well you were close can't nail em all, and I couldn't say after the fact that's where I meant to put it

Sometimes with know it all clients (the ones offering 'advice'), you can't drag them up the tree, so like to get them to hold a saw & stand next the huge backleaning bole or rotten bomb, over their house & or antique car collection & dead pan ask them with a stern nod "Just drop it through that gap there..."

Yet to have one take me up on the offer.

So I hit the road at about 3:15 (am) last night to head down the Pensi for these little additions. Got back into town at 6:45 or something like that. Long day. I don’t know which I’m more excited about though. That trailer is a beast, seems perfect for what we need. The power up and down is kinda mind blowing. Can’t wait to try it with a lift tomorrow. Should be able to load it, have it stay there, and just press the button to lower it down and lock it. Plus this thing can tow anything else I have in the yard too. Very versatile. Gonna need a little tweaking and adding on to get it to really flow into things. Needs a box and could use a couple well placed d-rings, a containment of some set to isolate the Dika pads, etc, but that’s almost fun. I’ll probably cut the spare tire rack off for loading the machine over the sides too. (I almost stopped then from adding it, but it was too late. Minor stuff though, like a said. Just gotta get it dialed in eventually.
View attachment 973704View attachment 973705View attachment 973706View attachment 973707

Have been looking at bigger plant trailers for my imaginary spider lift & 8 tonne excavator.

Think will buy one with an engine (ie: another 6x4 truck) instead.

This one would fit the bill nicely for the scale of jobs have in mind (don't mind the price, good to dream):

https://www.farmmachinerysales.com.au/items/details/2009-man-tgs/SSE-AD-7478619/?Cr=0

The setup is the worst part of a lot of the jobs we do. It’s a lot of moving parts to juggle around. Especially when it’s just a private, one lane lake road down below. Was tough just to find a spot to put plywood stacks and attachments. We had to use the four wheel in the bucket and the 6850lb 250xp backed in nicely with the ram in four low. Now we’re all set up just to finish, but these are the kinds of jobs we specialize in doing. And I kinda like it that way.:cool:
94C3E1C7-B49A-4209-BC0C-612B8AA3AC76.jpeg6E4EB96C-B234-49AE-8511-90C09FAB3D62.jpeg71AF5DFA-CB27-4138-8C36-02CBBD900D49.jpegE500B6B9-DB20-40F2-B5D7-9CF1A31C4FF6.jpeg5C251CCE-56C6-4B26-A739-E17CAE1F9A8A.jpeg4B2C3765-D09E-4461-AC14-7904943ED6F3.jpeg3692197F-7B2A-4E09-AFDC-40E38F271DBD.jpeg

anyone know why petzl wont allow the zillion to be sold without the petzl rope? zigzag is ok to run any rope that fits afaik, I emailed arbsession about a custom lanyard with the zillion and he said petzl wont let him make one
been loving the idea of the tritech for a little stiffness and cut resistance, no wire core, but id rather not have to drag that out for every maple I climb

im thinking:
15ft tritech, isc snap, zillion, dmm ultra o, sewn on both ends, will have to be a stopper knot for one end, and sewn on the other (snap end) , as I cannot get one sewn (petzl rules)

Latest posts

Back