New thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D0F9198B-3F02-43C1-ACAD-48DEF89C588F.jpeg92FD0F42-9823-4F36-9869-9D2EF1422383.jpegUsed SRT to climb up this large black oak to cut off a dead limb going over a pool. About 70’ at the crotch above my head. Saved a ton of time and effort using SRT over DRT.

Used the crane a couple times last week, already making life easy and efficient. Will get some pictures this upcoming week of it in action.

Completely different. The 1200 job was two easy driveway trees with my smaller crew that took 3 hours. Hers involves substantially larger and more difficult trees. Whats funny is that my 5 minute interaction with her was pleasant and I recommended that she not remove her healthy trees. I was surprised to see the one star review.
did she get another quote and did she take the trees down?

did she get another quote and did she take the trees down?
No. If she does I think they will be in the same price range.

One of the trees was a huge backyard maple hanging directly over a rotting old shed and a neighboring yard. Would not be a fun tree. It would cost me more than 1200 in labor to remove it.

Don't even waste your time, get a merlo! It's by far one of the best contraptions to hit the market for trees.
This tree only took a hour and 10 mins to from first cut to last piece chipped. That is a 3500 pound piece being cut. That machine took pieces way bigger then I would have ever thought. It is a beast. 4x4 all wheel steer it will make it anywhere you can lay your plywood.
6e4d5e1992b9039537ae1abc29518679.jpg
087b46f3e02c44dd1b186d3afc855c61.jpg

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Thats pretty slick. Can you register that for road travel or do you need to trailer it everywhere? Does it work well on a grade?
I'm not sure about every state but in illinois and Wisconsin you are aloud to drive construction equipment on the roads (bobcats/front end loaders) so this would fall in that category. Short distances the machine is driven long distances it is hauled on a triaxle trailer the machine comes in at about 50k pounds so it is heavy in illinois you would need a semi to haul it but in WI there weight laws are more forgiving and is much easier to get overweight permits. I've not personally used it on a severe grade but it will drive anywhere you want to take it and it is easy to work the out riggers to add cribbing and level machine.

Don't even waste your time, get a merlo! It's by far one of the best contraptions to hit the market for trees.
This tree only took a hour and 10 mins to from first cut to last piece chipped. That is a 3500 pound piece being cut. That machine took pieces way bigger then I would have ever thought. It is a beast. 4x4 all wheel steer it will make it anywhere you can lay your plywood.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatal

that seems like over-kill.

Reon Rounds just demo'd his to several other companies' employees.
Holy crap does that thing save a ton of manual labor and a ton of time!

The one in the video u are referencing is one model larger then the one he purchased. He was demoing the 5035 but it was to heavy to transport without a semi the 5030 just barely squeaks by on a triaxle trailer he pulls behind a quad axle dump truck.

Indeed. Still young trees the majority of them as well, dwarfed by the true old growth further south.

Sad thing is a lot of the 'veteran' trees with hollow butts & various features are ones having to be taken down due to liability issues post fire near arterial roads. We're trying to retain some with our climbing work, but geezus there are some sketchy climbs, forty metres plus trees propped up on 10% of their stem, heavy dense timbers around 1250kg/m. Standard 60m climbing lines, with a base tie we're out of rope getting to first decent limb on some.

All of the burn area is on karst landscape as well, which know the caves systems well from working in karst management, so systems up to 85m deep under some of the trees we're working in.

Working with some government department fallers as well, calm & gutsy characters, nerves of steel, we tend to retreat quite a distance & with haste when sending down big trees, these guys are dropping multi leg hollow butts & standing right near the stump as they implode!!
And I thought our 30M white pine trees with a dbh of 1.5meters were big. Lol.

Trying to respond in language that's familiar!

You guys are awsome! How many hours do chippers last in Australia with the super dence hardwoods beating the hell out of them?

Aww!! Father and son Giants!! Each one definitely has it’s own unique advantages over the other.

Can’t remember is it was Will or Jester that recommended that saw scabbard on the baby giant, but damn is that thing handy!!

Got a new guy starting tomorrow. Sounds good (mostly) so far. Actual tree guy with ten years. Nice having a guy that actually talks and knows a lot about the work… well, was a decent interview anyway lol. We’ll see.
AE9E90A0-69D8-43B1-820F-5D48F0689CFF.jpeg
B896EA84-4560-4730-8875-D22BEBCA6847.jpeg

And I thought our 30M white pine trees with a dbh of 1.5meters were big. Lol.

Trying to respond in language that's familiar!

You guys are awsome! How many hours do chippers last in Australia with the super dence hardwoods beating the hell out of them?
That's alright, grew up with grandfathers using old timey imperial, takes me a while, but can occasionally visualise trees in feet & inches, miles really mess me around though.

Like anything, depends on how well you look after them, but in my experience the Bandits definitely handle the hardwood abuse better than the Vermeers, which seem to be more preferred for street tree type stuff with a lot of leafy nonsense. Around 2-3000hrs is a pretty well used Bandit, the feed system probably cops most of the thrashing. Try to change or rotate knives around 50hrs. Not many discs around.

Got to go back to national park fireground next week. One tree in particular giving nightmares, maybe 10% max of it's base left, burnt a metre down inside root plate, think we'll rig up some sort of sky anchor for access, spider lift would be useful but could be in the firing line if the tree goes while we're taking off what we need to. An interesting piece of veteran coastal forest architecture, hence doing best to retain some part of tree.

Here's some thirty year old laneway 'saplings' (Eucalyptus grandis) on another harvest job two week ago. First one in photos just under 150 feet, about 45-48 of those 2.5cm increments. Mill wanted logs at 21 feet, bloody owner with his archaic loader insisted on lifting logs over the top of chipper truck & chipper. Damn old loader does some heavy lifting, but make more noise than six chippers.

lg-1-jpg.977982

lg-2-jpg.977983

lg-3-jpg.977984

lg-4-jpg.977985

lg-5-jpg.977986

Attachments

• LG 1.JPG
    10.2 MB · Views: 191
  • LG 2.JPG
    8.6 MB · Views: 193
  • LG 3.JPG
    8.4 MB · Views: 192
  • LG 4.JPG
    6.5 MB · Views: 191
  • LG 5.JPG
    5.6 MB · Views: 188
Aww!! Father and son Giants!! Each one definitely has it’s own unique advantages over the other.

Can’t remember is it was Will or Jester that recommended that saw scabbard on the baby giant, but damn is that thing handy!!

Got a new guy starting tomorrow. Sounds good (mostly) so far. Actual tree guy with ten years. Nice having a guy that actually talks and knows a lot about the work… well, was a decent interview anyway lol. We’ll see.
View attachment 977840
View attachment 977839

Gear freak!!

** I'll buy Pa' Giant of you.

View attachment 977840
View attachment 977839
Ya it was me that recommend the scabbard. Jester recommend the hydro quick attach. You my friend are driving a nicely setup machine. I hope it's working out for you. Once the ground hardens up abit you will be really loving its capabilities without mats.

Good luck with your new guy starting.

Latest posts

Back